• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: how to feed

moliken is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how to feed

I'm confused as to directions on various types of koi food. Basically they say not to feed more than the koi will eat in 5 minutes. I throw in plenty of food and it's all completely gone within a minute. I toss in some more and the pace of eating slows, but they eat that in a minute also. Am I supposed to continue to feed them for a full five minutes??

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The directions are so that people don't leave uneaten food in their ponds which create all kinds of health issues and is a bad idea for other reasons as well.
      The best way to feed in warm water temps is to feed more frequently and less each time. IOW, if you are feeding your koi 3 cups of food a day, feed 1/2 cup six times instead of 3 cups all at once.
      Last edited by Marilyn; 06-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

moliken is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. That's close to what I actually do, but it's palmfulls, not cups. Then i sorta throw 1-2 lg pellets in [I just got some Hikari food] aimed at certain ones to selectively try to make sure the larger ones get more

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The manner in which you are feeding is fine. Whether you are feeding enough depends on your goals. If you want your koi to grow as quickly and as large as possible, keep tossing in handfuls as long as the koi continue to consume it all within a couple of minutes. Stop when the koi have no eagerness to eat. You can repeat as many times per day as you have the time to do it. But, watch your water quality. Folks typically size their filters according to gallonage or numbers of fish, but it is really a question of the filtration matching the "feeding load".

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Indeed it is the grams of protein in the food that, when digested by koi, turns into the ammonia load that the bacteria colony needs to convert to nitrite to nitrate. And if you have denitrification going on...nitrate to nitrogen gas released into astmosphere with O2 stripped to help fuel the bacteria.

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

Small amounts many times a day is a good way to go. Let them eat it in one minute and feed again in a few hours. I have an auto feeder that doses 3 times a day and I feed 2 or more times a day.
      Need more Koi