• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How to get plants into my pond

gittyup is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How to get plants into my pond

I have a koi pond. About 7000 gallons, 5.5' at deepest. Practically, shallowest is about 4'. There is a a waterfall, skimmer, and fountain. So, it's not too conducive to plants in many ways. I have 5 water lilies sitting on tupperware tubs putting them at about 2.5" feet deep. They are growing OK. Around the periphery, I have water irises and some grasses. The edging is built kind of unique. The top 2 layers of rock sit mostly out of the water. Underlying rock are smaller with many crevices for water to enter, but few places that the koi can reach. Rock goes about 18" deep and about that wide. So there is lots of water under the top rock that I can't readily get to to plant things.

I want more variety of plants around the periphery. I was wondering about seed. Are there seed that I can throw under the top rocks that will take? I live in the mid Atlantic. So winters can be quite cold where the top few inches may freeze solid around the edges. I planted cardinal flowers last year. They did fine for a first-year plant, but did not return this year.

As for floaters in the main pond, I can't keep them out of the skimmer. I don't like the look of plastic retainers and other man-made material in my pond (and won't have them). So I've given up on them.

I tried some deep water plants, but the koi ate them

How else can I get plants to take in the marginals? The top layer of rocks are too heavy to move much. I've attached a couple of photos. The first photo was taken during pond construction and shows the kind of rock that is completely submerged under the top boulder layers.
      Name:  IMG_0716.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  230.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_1122.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  263.3 KB
      Name:  33921860_10215183682206139_6146481985968668672_n.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  118.4 KB

matherfish is online now Supporting Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

You might try some parrot feather, or maybe even Aztec arrowhead. It produces tiny plants which could grow in crevices.
      Last edited by matherfish; 06-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      [/B]
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

No help with plants but gorgeous pond!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by matherfish View Post
      You might try some parrot feather, or maybe even Aztec arrowhead. It produces tiny plants which could grow in crevices.
      thanks. I tried parrot feather in the bottom after reading that it likes deep water. Fish ate all of it. Maybe I'll try some in the crevices.

I haven't tried arrowhead, but it is on the list. I tried pickerel and the crowns froze. So it did not make it through the winter.

matherfish is online now Supporting Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

I have always raised parrot feather in shallow water.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      [/B]
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

pickerel is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Cool

Beautiful pond. I would float some water Hyacinth on the surface and keep it contained with a single piece of monofilament fishing line. You would never see the line.
      Last edited by pickerel; 06-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      Beautiful pond. I would float some water Hyacinth on the surface and keep it contained with a single piece of monofilament fishing line. You would never see the line.
      I like your suggestion. Might try this, but I just see them all bunched up in the middle trying to make their way to the skimmer. Might look too "unnatural" for me.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Cool

Thumbs up

I am starting a build right now and planning to do this and keep them along one side. I will have a piece of wood or something else at each end of the line that I can wedge into the rocks along the edge. The amount of slack in the line will determine how far out into the pond the Hyacinth can float. It ought to keep them all together and keep them from spreading. I think it will look just like they are growing there naturally like along the edge of a river. I love your pond. I want one just like it.
      Last edited by pickerel; 06-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pickerel View Post
      I am starting a build right now and planning to do this and keep them along one side. I will have a piece of wood or something else at each end of the line that I can wedge into the rocks along the edge. The amount of slack in the line will determine how far out into the pond the Hyacinth can float. It ought to keep them all together and keep them from spreading. I think it will look just like they are growing there naturally like along the edge of a river. I love your pond. I want one just like it.
      Thanks for the kind words on the pond. Huge project, it was for one man to do. Took me 15 months. 3 tractor trailer loads of rock, some close to 2000 lbs. 900 bags of mortar and concrete. About 400 concrete blocks.... and all my money

I might give the fishing line a try. I have the line. Now to get some hyacinth. I don't care for the look of water lettuce too much. I think it's kind of shabby. Just me though. Just hoping the Koi will leave it alone.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
      Huge project, it was for one man to do. Took me 15 months. 3 tractor trailer loads of rock, some close to 2000 lbs. 900 bags of mortar and concrete. About 400 concrete blocks.... and all my money
      YIKES! I've changed my mind. I want the look of your pond less rocks and work. I'm thinking pickup truck instead of tractor trailer. Of course I'm going smaller on the pond size too. I like the way you have extended your liner beyond the irises so they are getting pond water. I was thinking of doing something similar.