• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Badly damaged dorsal fin

livinzlife is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unhappy Badly damaged dorsal fin

It's been a rough spring/summer for the pond. Got two fish in some bad condition as a result.

I've had the pond in for about 6 years now. Springtime, water can get a bit out of whack, but it's usually addressed with some water changes while things get up to speed. A big beech tree nearby grows out over the pond which seems to help as well when it greens.

This year, I admittedly wasn't able to give the pond as much attention in the spring as I usually do - some construction projects at the house mixed with a busier-than-usual work schedule meant the pond got neglected (at the time it needs the most attention).

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a fish with a sore on it's mouth. I got the QT setup and pulled the fish, the rot on the underside was a lot worse than I hoped. Ordered some Tricyde Neo and have been treating directly since. Infection seems to be going away, but not sure whether the fish will ever overcome a badly deformed mouth.

As I'm trying to address the water issues that probably caused the mouth rot in the first place, I notice the BD line is flowing much slower than usual - clogged up a bit, not entirely.

Today, I ran out to the store to grab some supplies to snake the BD. Before leaving, I popped the top off the BD and pulled a few small sticks out of the entrance area. Then forgot to put the top back on before heading to the store...

In that 30 minutes, a koi of mine went down the BD and managed to get dragged into the 55 gal. settlement. I guess the trip through the piping was not so smooth, because it's dorsal fine was ripped almost completely off.

Anyhow, too late now - the damage is done. Anyone care to comment on whether this fish will ever grow a dorsal back?

I can post pics of the koi with mouth rot tomorrow - will snap a few during it's treatment.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.21.54 PM.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  150.1 KB

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will tell you that it can indeed grow completely back...especially as you got the hospital tank set. And I can say so with such strong conviction because Joe Pawlak owner of Blackwater Creek Koi had some very nice fish show up in a pond pull when he was pulling 12 inch koi. He did not want any of the twenty or so koi to be sold. So he cut off one pectoral fin..not nipped it... and returned them to the mud pond to mature over the Fall and Winter. He thought he had permanently deformed them. at the very least the fins would not have grown back over the Winter Period.. When that pond was pulled in the Spring to get the possible brood stock out they had all regrown their pectoral fin.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

livinzlife is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      I will tell you that it can indeed grow completely back...especially as you got the hospital tank set. And I can say so with such strong conviction because Joe Pawlak owner of Blackwater Creek Koi had some very nice fish show up in a pond pull when he was pulling 12 inch koi. He did not want any of the twenty or so koi to be sold. So he cut off one pectoral fin..not nipped it... and returned them to the mud pond to mature over the Fall and Winter. He thought he had permanently deformed them. at the very least the fins would not have grown back over the Winter Period.. When that pond was pulled in the Spring to get the possible brood stock out they had all regrown their pectoral fin.
      That sounds promising... so there's a chance it grows back, bones and everything?

Should I treat it with anything or feed anything special? Should I keep it in QT until it's grown back?

QT is currently salted while I do treatments for the other koi for mouth rot.

Billy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a 19" fish get stuck in my skimmer and it lost half of its tail fin. Grew back no problem.

Other Sites Sale prices are our everyday prices.
      Vice President Oregon Koi and Watergarden Society

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Since when is a pectoral fin and a tail fin the same as a dorsal fin? There is no way that dorsal fin will ever grow back. Dorsal fins are the one fin that NEVER grows back.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by livinzlife View Post
      That sounds promising... so there's a chance it grows back, bones and everything?

Should I treat it with anything or feed anything special? Should I keep it in QT until it's grown back?

QT is currently salted while I do treatments for the other koi for mouth rot.
      No, there is no chance it grows back. To me it does not even look like it is new damage. There is no redness or blood and it looks like it is a previous injury from a bacterial infection that healed over.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 1 Week Ago at 09:05 PM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Russ knows quite a bit....
      I have seen the back half of a dorsal fin grow back like it never was injured. The Only concern I had was with the front spines versus the back rays.... Byt then the leading edge of a pectoral fin has a spine, and they all grew back, and they were worse than those spines....
      Yes I would keep it in a hospital tank...I'd treat the wound. didn't you say you had neocide?
      I am NOT the person to see about first aid for koi trauma injuries.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."