• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi id?

My2butterflies is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi id?

Does this guy have a category he falls in? He was one my husband picked last fall.
      Here he is when we brought him home at 4Ē
      Name:  2A1764D1-EEDE-4155-A7BB-F861673FEF63.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  67.2 KB
      Iím not sure if his nose was really that crooked or if the picture just turned out distorted. Unfortunately thatís the only top shot I took at the time.
      And here he is now next to the platinum.
      Name:  C1BFE311-A367-4ACF-91C9-F5042265283F.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  58.0 KB
      His color has darkened and the orange is taking over. This picture was taken in late May. He was 14Ē then. Now he is close to 16Ē.

Anchor is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

This is just my guess but I believe gin rin Kohaku.

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First, you are doing an amazing job of raising these koi. They look very healthy..which is NOT what koi hobbyists do. We want a thicker animal. You are feeding too little for them to have the correct body shape. even at this young age they should appear to be thicker/stronger. But do not worry. They are HEALTHY. It is something you could change if you desired.
      Now in that first photo i would say it IS a ginrin Kohaku with some slight metallic in the skin... The change it undertook between the first and second photo is quite uncommon, and suggests something rare.... I want to say that instead of Kohaku it is a showa...but the sumi(black) is maturing like the hi(red/orange) of an asagi. I would love to have this fish in my pond for two reasons. it is an appealing koi, and it is undergoing some very interesting pattern changes....even the hi(orange) in the top half is behaving strangely...in a kohaku the hi would shrink a little and tighten up. If it had done that it would have had a more interesting hi pattern, but I am so interested in this fish...please post some photos from the side and more in the future
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i looked at the photos again...definitely would be called a gin rin Showa but it is in a class by itself when it comes to color and pattern development.... I am sure the breeder did not breed this to happen. Where did you buy this fish?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

@Anchor That was what I was thinking, but I’m thrown off by the burnt orange color and how it is taking over.

@lukef Thank you for such a detailed run down on this guy. He is very lean looking, I just figured that is due to it being a male. He eats a lot, but seems to only grow length wise. While my girls tend to fill out more and length is slow going.
      Is the black(sumi) you are referring to the shadowing on the sides and tail area? He currently doesn’t have any black on him. At least not that I’ve observed. That would make him more interesting.
      Or are you thinking sumi will come up at some point?
      He is just a koi picked out of a tank from a fish shop. I never asked where he orders them from. I thought the group looked like a bunch one would get from blackwater creek koi. I’ll have to ask when I go again.

I’ll get some new pictures up once I get a new net. Mine got used in the pool and I don’t know if it would be wise to use it in the pond again >.<

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yep, I thought the black was creeping in along the lateral line. From what you describe on how he eats ...feed him more..he would grow longer faster AND fill out. Actually he won't grow longer faster as that year is gone. However he would grow longer faster than if you kept him on too low a diet.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      yep, I thought the black was creeping in along the lateral line. From what you describe on how he eats ...feed him more..he would grow longer faster AND fill out. Actually he won't grow longer faster as that year is gone. However he would grow longer faster than if you kept him on too low a diet.
      Sounds good. I’ll step up feedings. I know I haven’t been feeding as much as I probably should. Just been so busy lately.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I made a line up to show how the orange is taking over. The right is when I first got it and moving to the left brings us to now. Name:  4BED0CD2-289B-40FE-956F-44A924EBCCEE.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  91.2 KB

He is 16” now and that last picture on the left shows how his color looks in person.