• Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Matt's Showa Spawn 2018

Doug C. is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice job, you will have some nice ones for sure
      be careful of over crowding, good filtration, good air, and all will be good.

ive been away for quite awhile, planning on posting more. good to be back

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Doug C. View Post
      Nice job, you will have some nice ones for sure
      be careful of over crowding, good filtration, good air, and all will be good.

ive been away for quite awhile, planning on posting more. good to be back
      Great to have you back posting Doug!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Doug, and good to have you back!

Roger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt, do you put the fry paste cake in frozen or do you wait for it to thaw?

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      Matt, do you put the fry paste cake in frozen or do you wait for it to thaw?
      When fry are small, still under say 3/4", they do not seem to be as good at traveling to find food in my 9' x 14' pond. So I let it thaw in a cup of water and stir it to break it up and sprinkle it all around the edges of the pond.

Once fry are an inch or more, they tend to travel in schools more. So I let chunks partially thaw in a cup of water and wait a few minutes until it sinks. Then I put it in the pond. That way the chunks will stay where I put it, in my case, on the frisbee. If it thaws completely, that's still okay, it just crumbles more.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

In 3 months so far I have fed them about 450 oz (~28 pounds) of the frozen paste food. This includes ~135 oz mackerel, ~130 oz tuna, ~90 oz salmon, ~35 oz sardines, ~45 oz pumpkin, and ~15 oz sweet (English) peas.

I've also given them ~4 pounds of frozen brine shrimp, and there are blood worms in the freezer. This is in addition to the adult koi pellets that I put through a coffee grinder make powder and crumbs which I do not freeze.

I used to try to make the frozen zip-lock bags thin, so I could break pieces off by hand, but that took a lot of bags and more time. Later, I found that it was easier to put about 120 oz of food in 4 one-quart zip-lock bags. They are too thick to break by hand but can easily be chopped with a pick-hammer like the one pictured below. It tears up the little back in the process. Then I put the chunks in a larger bag which I reuse.

Name:  Paste food 9-3-2018a.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  77.1 KB Name:  Paste food 9-3-2018b.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  102.4 KB Name:  Paste food 9-3-2018c.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  77.6 KB
      Last edited by Matt24; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:48 PM.

delbert is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That’s a bunch of food .. Matt

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
      That’s a bunch of food .. Matt
      Seems like they would be bigger by now. I kept large numbers for so long that they grew slowly. But in the last few weeks, I thinned them out and am starting to see more growth.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Three weeks ago, I moved 150+ 2.5-month-old runts (0.75” - 1.0”) from the little pond to the 350 gallon tub. These had grown notably less than the others in the little pond, where the population had been pretty high for most of that 2.5 months.

Tonight I netted them and saw a couple of decent showa prospects and some long-shots, but nothing that looks great at this point. However, the growth had been good. Most were 1.75” - 2.25”, more than double the average length from 3 weeks ago. Several were up to 2.5”, with only a few as small as 1.125”. Even though I had fed them hi-protein seafood paste all along, they did not really get to wolfing it down until they got in a smaller group. This also shows me that just because a fry is a runt, does not necessarily mean it can't start growing quickly in the right conditions.

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member
      is koigrl is enjoying her feesh.
      :)

Feeling:
      Awesome

Matt, thanks for posting notes on growth. this is of particular interest to me and when we net my F2s in October, i'll be posting comparisons between fish who've had to compete for food with much larger fish and the ones who lived in their own pond with all the chow they wanted. No question fewer fish per gallon grow faster. Glad you're seeing some kids with prospects. Keep it comin.'

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2013

LadysSolo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt, it looks like you have some excellent prospects there, both Kohaku and showa. I am with you in enjoying raising fry (although I have never raised koi fry, only goldfish and tropical fish fry.) The fun for me is seeing what I get. You never know, one of them may be "the one!" Although I will admit to occasionally falling for a "mutt" that only a parent can love! LOL!! I am truly enjoying following your journey - thanks!

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      Matt, thanks for posting notes on growth. this is of particular interest to me and when we net my F2s in October, i'll be posting comparisons between fish who've had to compete for food with much larger fish and the ones who lived in their own pond with all the chow they wanted. No question fewer fish per gallon grow faster. Glad you're seeing some kids with prospects. Keep it comin.'
      Thank you Max. I look forward to the growth comparisons of your young ones. I moved the runts that had started growing better recently to the little pond with the others. But I left the 15 "runts of the runts" that were only 1.25" or so in the tub (~350 gallons) by themselves. So now we'll see if they can make a comeback in growth.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
      Matt, it looks like you have some excellent prospects there, both Kohaku and showa. I am with you in enjoying raising fry (although I have never raised koi fry, only goldfish and tropical fish fry.) The fun for me is seeing what I get. You never know, one of them may be "the one!" Although I will admit to occasionally falling for a "mutt" that only a parent can love! LOL!! I am truly enjoying following your journey - thanks!
      Thanks LadysSolo. Hopefully a few will be worth raising on up. It's amazing how you can see so many that look bad or just plain and then you see one that makes you go "Wow, you could be special!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234