• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: DracoDrum Minima Combination RDF/Bio Filter w/ Rio Media...

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

DracoDrum Minima Combination RDF/Bio Filter w/ Rio Media...

I did some flow testing today using the largest pore opening Rio Media. At 2000 GPH you can expect to see a 1" drawdown caused by the media in a submerged media bed like in the Minima. This drawdown still gives plenty of water level for the RDF to function in the filter. I was actually quite surprised at how well the large pore Rio Media allowed 2000 GPH of water to cross flow through six blocks and only bring about 1" of drawdown....

Just as a side note...
      While i was filming that video i stepped on the transducer cord for the flow meter and disconnected the wire from the transducer. That is why the flow meter all of a sudden went to zero water flow. Whoops...
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 05-31-2018 at 10:05 AM.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

mplskoi is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Are you using the Periha or is that the Home Depot pump on this set up?
      editing as I have now watched the video. I see that is the Alpine.
      This set up is reminding me of what Waddy does with his filtration. Of course his media runs parallel to the water flow rather than perpendicular.
      It will be interesting to see how the draw down changes as the media matures.
      I know it would be about impossible to know, but would be interesting to try figure out how much better (or not) a shower is compared to a well aerated static bed of ceramic media.
      I ran my pond almost a year with just submerged static bed of ceramic media. I like the energy efficiency of that concept.
      Nice product Zac. Keep up the good work.
      Last edited by mplskoi; 05-30-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I'm liking the small little neat kits you have for small ponds.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Are you suing the Periha or is that the Home Depot pump on this set up?
      This set up is reminding me of what Waddy does with his filtration. Of course his media runs parallel to the water flow rather than perpendicular.
      I know it would be about impossible to know, but would be interesting to try figure out how much better (or not) a shower is compared to a well aerated static bed of ceramic media.
      I ran my pond almost a year with just submerged static bed of ceramic media. I like the energy efficiency of that concept.
      You meant using. he wasn't the one suing lol. I understand what you meant. Shower will always be the best out there imo

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

here is a video of the rio media ive used on top tray of shower for over 2 monhs and no shade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCvQ6cIkpk

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Why didn't anyone tell me the video straight up sucks???? For some reason my editing on iMovie made it zoom in on the center of focus and I was rushing to go to dinner with family so i didn't catch it. I have uploaded the original version but it will have some background noises from the plastic cover on the air pump being loose which is causing the rattle. Plus I am pretty shaking on that video but hopefully YouTube can edit that out for me.

Hopefully the new version gives you a better perspective on the setup.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Are you using the Periha or is that the Home Depot pump on this set up?
      Yeah, it will be interesting for sure to see how this develops. I am going to install this exact setup over at my parents Dry Stacked QT Tank and monitor what the drawdown changes look like as the media matures and as the screen gets a buildup of algae/bacteria on it. I am going to use that Jebao pump, that I tested earlier, for this system. I will replace the Alpine with the Jebao and run the test station again to find out what power setting will get me 2000 GPH flow rate when I install it on the QT tank. Seeing as how this is gravity fed and I have two 3" BD supply lines and three 2" underwater returns I shouldn't see any real differences in dynamic head losses between the QT tank and the pump testing station.

I have no hard proof of this conversion but I generally tell my customers to expect a 50% decrease in total nitrification power on an aerated submerged media bed when compared to one of my Zakki Showers using the same media. Not only due to the reduced flow rates but also due to the water trying to find the path of least resistance, which would be flowing around the media instead of through it. The Minima reduces that second factor due to the way the blocks are installed into those slots, but the maximum flow rate is still 50% less in the Minima than when I tested the same media in a shower. I was able to get 4000 GPH to flow through these large pore blocks without any water going around the block. It is amazing to think that it can absorb 4000 GPH in a 12" x 12" x 2" thick block, but with my distribution manifold on top of it that equates to 484 individual streams of water that are now flowing only 8.26 GPH onto that small section of media. You certainly can't get these kinds of results with a DIY Spraybar
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

mplskoi is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Why didn't anyone tell me the video straight up sucks???? .
      Some people like to attack you for no reason at all. Some people give you a free pass. There it is. One free pass. Next time we expect better of you.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

LOL thanks hahahah
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

IAmHolland is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know your video mentioned to not use with a pump, but it could possibly be added with some safety switches.

One way to do it, is via a float valve that controls an AC 120V power outlet, where you would connect the pump to. If it gets to the point of near overflow, the valve triggers and the AC power is cut off, cutting off the pump.

This can be safely managed by having more circuitry to have low power DC that the float valve triggers (or rather breaks), which in turn de-powers the relay that is flowing the AC current. Magnetic isolation via the relay. These are common parts and can be built inexpensively, and if the relay goes bad, it can be replaced as well. Don't hard wire the lines to the relay, but have it done via a removable terminal block, such that you "plug" the relay into a "circuit board."

This would effectively remove the limitation of being pump fed.

IMO, this type of filter system is of great benefit to small pond owners that don't want to deal with high maintenance.

Just a thought.