• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Breaded Iris - Rotted and died

EmeraldDragon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Breaded Iris - Rotted and died

Yesterday, while I was watering the plants. I noticed one of my DW breaded iris was rotted and died. the leaves were shredded like something chewed on it. The root were literally gone. We could not figured out why, but we think it was one of the critters (mouse, etc..) that was roaming around our backyard. But then, my DW noticed another iris that starting to turn yellow. It was in a different spot. So, she think it might be getting way too much water.

Trying to see what is the root of the problems. Can anyone tell me why? So, that we can prevent it in the future, if possible. Thanks in advance.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

mine froze out so I am no help
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      mine froze out so I am no help
      At least you knows why your died.
      -=[Sunny]=-
      I have served, I have fought to defend the rights and freedom of all Americans. I am a proud Retired Veteran!

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This type of iris don't require a lot of water like it's water loving cousins. They fourish in a sunny well drained location. Dig up the one turning yellow. Look for iris borers. There are many photos on web. This is what attacks ours and the insect damage leads to bacteria damage. I'd spray all of them with a combination fungal and insecticide . In the past ones we didn't want to loose they were cut back, dug out, dipped in a bleach solution and let dry for few days before replanting.

For us the very old hardy varieties seem to have a natural resistance and don't need spraying. The new varieties are terrible for this.
      Last edited by batman; 05-19-2021 at 03:47 PM.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Batman. Yeah, we seems to have these borers running around the yard. I had killed some of them already. Will try to do the solution you recommended.
      -=[Sunny]=-

One Poet's Garden is offline Senior Member
      is Digging. And then digging some
      more!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldDragon View Post
      we seem to have these borers running around the yard.
      Sunny,

First, make sure you know what you're dealing with. Iris borers are much more common east of the rockies. And at this point in the gardening year, you'd be unlikely to see them, as they start in the leaves and then live in the rhizomes. Here's a good picture:

Name:  borer.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  11.2 KB

Under most conditions, at this time of year, you could douse your iris bed with fungicide and insecticide and not even get close to the borers themselves. In Southern California, the time to do that would have been March-April. If you do have borers, here's a decent site with some info: https://getbusygardening.com/getting...f-iris-borers/

Here's a decent general purpose Bearded Iris site: https://www.americanmeadows.com/blog...rded-iris-care

I may just be an old California hippy, but even before all the things we've learned about mycorrhiza and gardening in the last 20 years, I would have thought three times before I sprayed fungicide and insecticide in a garden with a pond.

Good luck!

Best,

Bill

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thanks Bill, for the info. Yea, our Iris that died looks similar to the one in the picture. But I was not quite sure, since my DW was the one that threw it away. I only saw the leaves not the roots.

I am like you. I won't spray any fungicide and insecticide that easily. Well. let's see if more iris will starts to go that way. (hopefully not) I will keep an eye on the rest o the irises.

I go with non-chemical way, (organic) my DW and I has always been doing it that way. That's why we started planting our own garden and making our own organic garden soil mixed/fertilizer. (from watching YouTube) Of course, from time to time we have to buy soil from Home Depot/Lowe. But that to the minimal.
      -=[Sunny]=-

batman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Often even at early stages the insect damage leads to other bacterial issues. Only way to know is to dig a few up and inspect all of the plant. If it looks to be bacterial only sometimes all they need is the bleach dip treatment and a location change.
      The real Batman wears polyester! Don't be fooled by the plastic imposter.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007