• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Please Critique: Shusui

Asagibottom is offline Senior Member
      is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Please Critique: Shusui

Hello, I just purchased this Shusui online for next to nothing and I was wondering what you guys' thought of it. I know it is not the supremo Shusui extraordinaire but I do think it has some potential- not as a show quality fish but as a breeder? I appreciate the strength in the colors near the dorsal fin and though the beni seems awfully weak, I'm wondering if it shows promise of strengthening? Also, will a fish like this ever have a whiter face? Thanks for your input- looking forward to reading your critique. I should also mention that this fish is between 4-6".
      Name:  4-6-3[1].jpg
Views: 379
Size:  17.9 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Don’t be afraid! Lay it on thick if you have to!

claytonyu is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

I don't think this is a mutt? Or rather too nice to be considered a mutt

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Hi Asagibottom
      I think it's a shusui cull, not a mutt. It's very cute, and/but the dark skin suggests to me that it is only going to get darker. There's an old thread on this forum called "Let's look at shusui." If you can find it in search, you'll learn a lot about this type, fast. Also suggest, you keep it, love it, learn from it. And when it seems reasonable financially, armed with knowledge, get the best koi you can afford. Welcome to koiphen!

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Ah perhaps I should’ve posted in the other thread. I just figured it’d go here since it’s only at best pond grade. Thanks for you replies- I will look up that other thread Koigirl. I admire your koi husbandry and breeding! I’ve just recently found out about ki shusui and I’m a big fan. I’m attempting to breed and sell Asiago/shusui. Have always loved the color patterns and even the formation of Asagi and shusui. I’ve got a lot to learn but those blue eyes are what gets me. Thanks again

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

Will definitely be keeping it. I may be purchasing a slightly higher quality fish here soon. Asagi/Goshiki. Had my eye on it for some time. I will post it as well when I find some extra funds lying around

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Asagibottom View Post
      Ah perhaps I should’ve posted in the other thread. I just figured it’d go here since it’s only at best pond grade. Thanks for you replies- I will look up that other thread Koigirl. I admire your koi husbandry and breeding! I’ve just recently found out about ki shusui and I’m a big fan. I’m attempting to breed and sell Asiago/shusui. Have always loved the color patterns and even the formation of Asagi and shusui. I’ve got a lot to learn but those blue eyes are what gets me. Thanks again
      You're welcome! and thank you, too. I'm learning, too. I don't think there's an end to it. I had a ton of ki shusui with that broad blue band over the dorsal ridge and just wrote to another member asking what did he think would come of it. he said, "nothing good. or words to that effect. I've never had this particular effect before or not in a way that i could watch how it developed. but i've seen rising sumi ruin otherwise fabulous shusui. so, i'll watch my blue ridged ones for another six months and report back.
      good luck with yours!

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

In addition to everything mentioned, I avoid fish that don't have a smooth transition from the head to the body.
      The gill plates on this one protrude a little and it'll only get worse as the fish grows.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

is Going going goners

Feeling:
      Amused

@Koigirl, I know you're learning a lot! I'm learning with you! Haha, I've viewed your mud pond thread and read almost every comment and have seen every picture from 130 pages! Not to mention your Ki Shusui experiments. I thought whatever you bred out of it were beautiful "Matsuba?" I cannot say that I've seen every one of your posts though so I may even be missing something in the mix. Thank you for all your insights.

@Icu2, Thanks! I did find it. Interesting that Doistu came from "Deutsch" I knew that Doitsu was interchangeable with German Scales I just had no idea why. Thanks for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      In addition to everything mentioned, I avoid fish that don't have a smooth transition from the head to the body.
      The gill plates on this one protrude a little and it'll only get worse as the fish grows.

I've looked online at several koi and I've got to say there are very few that I've found that match your description here. Is this a criteria for judging or a personal preference? Tbh, I tend to care for the ones with larger gill plates! Imho (and it could be very wrong) the koi with protruding gill plates tend to grow larger and thicker than others. I've seen a few Chagoi butterfly that are very thin with smooth transition but that may just be all. Could you provide a picture so I may see what it is you're referring to? I'm quite inexperienced with koi keeping as I've managed to kill probably- dozens between poor water quality and Barred Owls/other predators.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Rainblood is the guy that want the big best body for his koi
      And his requirement for body conformation is supper stricken
      Another tip of the day I would add is avoid “pointed mouth”
      Don’t get me wrong your shusui mouth is totally fine
      Last edited by OCkoiFan; 05-17-2018 at 10:01 AM.
      M.Nguyen

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007