• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Major spawn today

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Major spawn today

My fish in my 17,000 gallon pond had a major spawn today. I have been watching them closely since they are all quite stressed. I am sure there is a massive amount of ammonia in there, but since it got to 90 degrees today and the air conditioner (geo therm) has been running fresh water in the pond all day, I am waiting for it to get diluted out.

I have a bottle of prime for emergencies, but am holding off for now. Will check the pond again in several hours before I go to bed.
      Nancy

nmtsaki is online now Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Congratulations mommy!!!

Stock up on SAFE, it is much cheaper and has a longer shelf life. I buy 4 kg off of Amazon; pricey all at once, but since it is a powder, it is shelf stable indefinitely.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'll check on the SAFE. I need something with a long self life to keep for emergencies.

I'm not worried about having many babies. I have spawns in this pond every year, but usually not more than 3 survivors. I don't know if it is because most of the eggs are eaten, or the fry, or because they are sucked out through the bottom drains when I make water changes. In any case, I am glad few new fish show up, because I don't want or need any more fish in this pond.
      Nancy

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Is this relatively early for you for a spawn? What was your water temerature and do you keep plants?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

OMG... I just did the math. Ive been buying the 2L prime and the Dry safe is about 10x cheaper to use....

rainblood is online now Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      OMG... I just did the math. Ive been buying the 2L prime and the Dry safe is about 10x cheaper to use....
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      Geek... thanks for doing the math,

now give me your lunch money!
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I checked the pond the last time at 330 AM this morning and fish seemed extremely stressed. I had been opening the bottom drains to pull out water every couple of hours and letting water refill it. (I do this at least once daily, but the rest of the time after pond water from geotherm returns the pond to full the rest of the water overflows down the hill into the woods).

I had also added additional aeration.

I decided to add the Prime and the fish started to look better within just a few minutes.

Just checked them and they look much better. Not spawning but cruising around sides of pond still searching and eating eggs.

For those who have not had a major spawn of large koi, always keep Pond Prime or Safe on hand for emergencies. If you have a large pond it is almost impossible to drain and add enough water to counteract the effects of spawn of multiple large koi. Also remember to check your koi often during breeding season. They can become extremely stressed in an hour or two after a major spawn.
      Last edited by koi4u2c; 05-15-2018 at 01:54 PM.
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koirun,

This is not early for spawns here in Virginia. They usually occur in April, May, and even June and then after that you may see some random spawning of a few after that.

I have not checked the water temperature in this pond. It is usually warmer in the winter and colder in the summer, since water from or heating and cooling system averages 53 degree temperature when it runs into this pond. We keep our heat and AC temp set anywhere from 70-72 degrees year round, so between day and night time temperature difference outside there is only a rare day that the heat or AC does not run.

This pond use to have filtration, but I have found I do not need it since we got the geotherm unit. I found this out by accident when I was cleaning filters and did not finish one day. I checked the ammonia and nitrite levels and they remained at 0. So I continued to check it and they never went up. This is a 17,000 gallon pond and most days thousands of gallons of water run through it, more in the summer and when it is extremely cold.

The only plants in the pond sit on a shallow ledge and it is hard for the koi to get to them. I only have large unpotted papyrus. I have not removed them because I feel they may be part of the reason this pond works with out any other filtration.

I am 67 years old and as others are finding they have to give up their ponds, for me this pond is maintenance free and may eventually be the only one of my ponds that I may be able to manage as I get older.

The only reason I can see to add any filtration at this point is to improve water clarity. I can see down several feet most of the time, but it is not clear to the bottom. I have also found this lack of totally clarity is a safety margin for my koi. They have the ability to disappear into the depths and be invisible to the great blue heron. I have had one several times, but have never missed any koi from their visits. It would also be difficult should anyone try to steal them. A stranger or a net in the pond makes my koi totally disappear.

I also had the exact same response to a large spawn when I did have filtration on this pond. So it still would not have helped in this situation.
      Nancy

nmtsaki is online now Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

After a spawn, I yell at my fish "eat your babies!" I never want 70 babies to survive in my pond ever again. Now that was stressful on the parents! They would always fight over food, flipping and jumping over each other to get it first. Babies are faster.

I have Prime shopping, since I like everything yesterday!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...FE+seachem+4kg

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      I'll check on the SAFE. I need something with a long self life to keep for emergencies.

I'm not worried about having many babies. I have spawns in this pond every year, but usually not more than 3 survivors. I don't know if it is because most of the eggs are eaten, or the fry, or because they are sucked out through the bottom drains when I make water changes. In any case, I am glad few new fish show up, because I don't want or need any more fish in this pond.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

About 10 days ago my 15K pond started to spawn and they went on for four days without letting up. The pond turned pea soup green with the ammonia and sunlight!

I stopped feeding and cranked up the UV and did daily 10% water changes. The water is mostly clear now.

I expect that there will be at least a hundred or more offspring survive of every variety to give away next year. Fertility, of all the wonders, perhaps the most wonderful.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

If you don't want baby fish, you can head off some of the water quality issues by using a pool net to dip most of the eggs off the bottom soon after they spawn. Be sure to dump them way out in the woods of bury them or something. Once I dumped them behind the pond, thinking the coons and possums would take care of them that night, but they didn't. Guess what the whole yard smelled like the next evening.