• Tired

Thread: Some Questions

rsa408 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some Questions

Dear Friends

I have some questions and would like to get your experiences and knowledge, Please.

Koi in 2 years old get mature but how to avoid them from fecundity or better to say avoid them to become full of eggs?

What will happen if female koi (full of eggs)don't have spawning?

How to help females to raise bigger?

If females grow big does eggs become larger with more yolk for the fry?

Thanks.

rsa408 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi All,

Really there is no help?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I've read many avoid females spawning by reducing their feeding regiment during the cooler months to
      encourage females to absorb the eggs produced and use as nutrition. This way the female doesn't spawn
      and also uses the eggs produced which avoids becoming egg bound, which is what can happen if the eggs
      aren't absorbed. Here's some great information from a past thread:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...come-egg-bound

Here's a search on the term "egg bound" that shows past threads that might help too:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0070364....q=egg%20bound

In my experience giving koi enough food, good water, and genetics are the important factors in growing fish
      big. But of the three I think genetics is the most important. I've got a 13 year old koi that is no more than 18" that
      is fed and in the same water as a 4 year old imported koi that is 26".

You've asked the egg question before but my guess would be that the eggs aren't "larger" but better quality at sexual
      maturity. Since a koi can at the earliest produce eggs and spawn at about 1-2 years old, their eggs probably aren't the
      quality of say a 4-6 year old koi. And the eggs of a 10 year old female probably aren't of the same quality as it had when
      it was younger. But does that mean more nutrition for them as fry?
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

rsa408 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I've read many avoid females spawning by reducing their feeding regiment during the cooler months to
      encourage females to absorb the eggs produced and use as nutrition. This way the female doesn't spawn
      and also uses the eggs produced which avoids becoming egg bound, which is what can happen if the eggs
      aren't absorbed. Here's some great information from a past thread:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...come-egg-bound

Here's a search on the term "egg bound" that shows past threads that might help too:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0070364....q=egg%20bound

In my experience giving koi enough food, good water, and genetics are the important factors in growing fish
      big. But of the three I think genetics is the most important. I've got a 13 year old koi that is no more than 18" that
      is fed and in the same water as a 4 year old imported koi that is 26".

You've asked the egg question before but my guess would be that the eggs aren't "larger" but better quality at sexual
      maturity. Since a koi can at the earliest produce eggs and spawn at about 1-2 years old, their eggs probably aren't the
      quality of say a 4-6 year old koi. And the eggs of a 10 year old female probably aren't of the same quality as it had when
      it was younger. But does that mean more nutrition for them as fry?

Hi,

Thanks For your pay attention. In Iran, We don't have access to Japanese Bloodlines. Importing Is not legal and disallowed. Here is domestic/local breeders. This may look "reinventing the wheel" but my purpose is to improve what we have. Even I thought to use common carp as part of breeding to improve body shortness and shape.

In farms start to using 2-3 years old fish for spawwning. I think this makes koi to stop in growth or lower the chance of reaching to their potential.