• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Strange algae locations

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Strange algae locations

The first 12 feet or so of our stream is fed by the S&G's and is algae free. The last 4 feet which is where the Nexus outlet enters the stream has string algae. The pond is clear and free of any string algae. My question is, why doesn't the entire stream have string algae in it. I'm sure none of the filters are producing much biofiltration yet. Could it be the fact that there is much more algae getting past the Zakki sieve, Nexus system than the S&G filters. I'm cleaning the Zakki sieve twice a day. The S&G filters are on the skimmer circuit. The skimmer has brushes and a Matala pad in the box.

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could it be direct sunlight related? More sun hitting that section of rocks in the stream heating them up and making conditions more ideal for the string algae to grow on that section? Or your theory of less filtered water entering your stream at that point might hold true.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      The first 12 feet or so of our stream is fed by the S&G's and is algae free. The last 4 feet which is where the Nexus outlet enters the stream has string algae. The pond is clear and free of any string algae. My question is, why doesn't the entire stream have string algae in it. I'm sure none of the filters are producing much biofiltration yet. Could it be the fact that there is much more algae getting past the Zakki sieve, Nexus system than the S&G filters. I'm cleaning the Zakki sieve twice a day. The S&G filters are on the skimmer circuit. The skimmer has brushes and a Matala pad in the box.
      Your thread reminded me of one I read a long time ago and had some great theories and explanations:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-algae-problem
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Here is my guess.
      Bacteria on your filters at this time of the year are growing and are hungry for nutrients. This is the time when string algae starts growing. With the help of extra turbulence from the last 4 feet of your river, conditions are ideal enough that certain species of algae are then able to 'pull nitrogen from the air and water' called nitrogen fixation. It is well known that certain species of algae and even bacteria, in a nutrient limited environment, are adapted to form into strings so that they can 'increase' their surface area and thus become more competative. It is also the reason why string algae love to attach themselves to areas with strong currents. So I think it has to do with nutrient limitation, speed of the current, and turbulence.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Man, I have to start writing this stuff down. I always tell myself I'll remember the great information given here but then, ahhh..... what was I saying!