• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Ich treatments not working

Ollieman is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ich treatments not working

I want to thank everyone on this formum for the wealth of information that is on here. I have read every thread I've found on this topic but haven't come across a stubborn ich post so here is mine... looking for any help I can get!

I last posted about a week ago that my koi had ich and it was running through them pretty quickly. I started treatment with Microbe Lift broad spectrum (malachite green and formalin). Did 3 treatments 24 hours apart- Friday Saturday and Sunday. Tuesday noticed another flare up of ich on more koi. Did treatment Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday morning and again this morning when I noticed it on 2 koi. At this point they have all had it at least once. Still seeing ich and they are still flashing. Called the Microbe Lift company and they don't recommend additional treatments- their treatment protocol is 3 treatments and that's it for at least 2 weeks.

My concern is reading about the life cycle of ich, it can only be treated when free swimming in the pond and that cycle at my pond temp (68-73) can take over a week so my thought process is that treating them for a longer period of time is necessary.

My pond is new (rebuild) and not yet cycled but it is a completely empty pond right now with no rocks/plants/ anything for eggs to hide in. Bottom drain liner pond and it is completely clean- I have only fed them twice in the past week.

I guess my realistic side says if I don't cure the ich than it's likely they will all die anyway so is it better to overtreat? Is the company just being overly cautious in their recommendations?

I know about salt/heat as well but that seemed like a much longer course of action as I have no way to heat it up as high as needed.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

cindy is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      How do you know its ich? Got a picture
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would agree with Cindy, as ich is rather hard to see on koi, but if that is what you have, I am of the opinion that the only good treatment for ich is salt. Salt needs to be a measured 0.3 to 0.6%, and that means having a salt pen or TDS meter to measure. If you did not meter the water into the pond, the http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt using an initial reading of the amount of salt in the pond and the addition of weighed 3 pounds of salt per 100 gallons followed a day or two later with a final reading will give a very good estimate of the system volume. Salt at over 0.3 for a couple of weeks to get the complete life cycle will take care of ich, but the Formalin or Microbe Lift broad spectrum state on the bottle to not use with salt.

I would not start the salt treatment without a salt pen or TDS meter to know starting and continuous monitoring so additional amounts can be added with water changes, strong storms, etc.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Orlando is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I missed your other thread so I don't know how many koi you have but if it's a small number of koi and you have a tank that you could keep them in for atleast two weeks there the treatment would be more effective that would give an ample amount of time for the (ick) eggs to hatch and without a host they would die in 48hrs but that is as long that your dealing with ick.

audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Assuming it's actually ich... There are quite a few people who prefer to do a large water change and then do a double-dose of BSDT (i.e. 2x recommended dose) and then wait 4-5 days and do it one more time. Yes, this is definitely NOT what the bottle says. I'm just providing the information.

Do you know it's not flukes? BSDT really does nothing for flukes. You would need Fluke-M or similar. It can be used on the last day of the 3-day BSDT treatment (based on bottle dosing) or with BSDT in the double-dose scenario.

Ollieman is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_9413.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  26.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_9416.jpg
Size:  19.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_9417.jpg
Size:  27.9 KB

I forgot to mention that we also treated with prazi last week. Today I don't see any spots on them so I didn't plan to do an additional treatment today. With my luck it will come back in a few days though.

As a secondary issue I can not get a handle on the ammonia so water changes have been an issue. It is steadily climbing and is now at 0.12. My source water is horrible and reads at .5 so I'm having to treat with prime wth each water change and daily to keep it from climbing higher. I am using the seachem ammonia alert card as well as having The Seneye installed so I know it's testing free ammonia. At one point earlier this week I had reached four times the recommended prime dose and it was still reading at .09

I mention this because I don't know if they're flashing because of the ammonia or because of the additional doses of the chemical or the ich parasite but either way it's something that I'm struggling to get under control while my pond cycles.
      Last edited by Ollieman; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't believe that what I am seeing is ich. It could be viral, like carp pox, or it could be an encysted anchor worm larvae infestation. For the latter, use Dimilin. If it is viral, you will just have to wait it out. Most of the virus will disappear with temperature changes, but may reappear when the temperatures return in the fall.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard