• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't know if my koi is going to make it . Bad ulcer

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      So far! I am successful because I am a fanatic about keeping my pond as "clean" as possible. It's more reasonable to say that I do a lot of maintenance, even throughout the winter. Since I do cover, I have to do maintenance because I keep my filters running also. I think four Koi is too many ( or maybe better to say just the right amount) in my size pond, is 1) their size- One of mine is probably like four or five small koi (and smaller fish will get bigger). 2) all koi get bigger and will contribute more waste. 3)koi and goldfish are dirty fish - they produce a lot of waste 4) I have the sand and gravel filter kit and I might as well put it into service, I just need the grit and gravel. 5) it's always better to have more filtration than not enough. If one goes out you have the others to support and take over the loss of the one.
      Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered when I have to upgrade or add to my filtration. Currently I have 3 circuits running ie. 3 pumps, and I agree with you in regards to redundancy in case any one of them goes out. I am currently thinking about a 4th circuit/pump that would be run by solar. You can't go wrong with sand and gravel filters IMO.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered when I have to upgrade or add to my filtration. Currently I have 3 circuits running ie. 3 pumps, and I agree with you in regards to redundancy in case any one of them goes out. I am currently thinking about a 4th circuit/pump that would be run by solar. You can't go wrong with sand and gravel filters IMO.
      If the pump is just for circulation and going to a waterfall or similar feature, solar could be beneficial. If it is going to pump to or from a filter, then it needs to have a large enough collector to send power to a storage battery system that is large enough to provide continuous flow 24/7. Filters don't work well running only during daylight hours. The bacteria need continuous flow to provide food for the colony.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      If the pump is just for circulation and going to a waterfall or similar feature, solar could be beneficial. If it is going to pump to or from a filter, then it needs to have a large enough collector to send power to a storage battery system that is large enough to provide continuous flow 24/7. Filters don't work well running only during daylight hours. The bacteria need continuous flow to provide food for the colony.
      Sorry I forgot to mention this pump run by solar would be 500gph and run a small skimmer that would be mostly relevant in cases of power failure while we are on vacation. Daytime only but Im thinking this is better than nothing in an emergency (?). Mostly for aeration and circulation. That's the plan anyway. I've never set up such a thing, so I will probably start a thread.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 5 Days Ago at 05:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12