• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Help! Fish acting strange & a few are very ill!

gizmo is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help! Fish acting strange & a few are very ill!

Hello Koiphen,

I have an issue with my pond. A few weeks ago I did a clean out of the bottom of the pond to remove any debris that had got in over winter. A few days later I noticed a goldfish breaching. Then a few days later multiple fish have started to become ill or act strange.

Three Koi have clamped fins with one regularly unable to keep itself upright. I took one which is particularly poorly out for inspection & there is a reddish tinge on its body & fins.

Other Koi that are still feeding don't have these symptoms but they have fin twitches & are flashing.

The first thing I did was check the water quality & tests back fine. I spoke to an aquatics shop & they have provided me with a fungus & bacteria treatment called Aqua Pond Care, Fungus & Bacteria Treatment (Acriflavine Hydrochloride 437mg & Malachite Green Oxalate 213mg) citing it is septicemia.

They are teens working in the store so I thought it would be best to ask some pro's for advice in case the store have the wrong diagnosis. Any help will be much appreciated!

cindy is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Doing the clean out, you probably mixed some of the bottom sludge with the top water.

I don't think its septicemia, I think its costia. Are the eyes sunken? Added any new fish? You are going the right direction with Malachite Green but I like Proform C with that and formalin.

Gonna look up your med, not familiar with it.

For right now, I'd do a 20% water change with a chloramine binder.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

cindy is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Effective, concentrated and easy to use formula. Treating fungus, fin rot and mouth rot organisms on goldfish, koi and carp.

The Fungus & bacteria Treatment by AquaPond Care works fast to mouthrot and other external bacterial problems in pond fish. This targeted treatment is wildlife safe and is for the treatment of cotton wool-like fungus and finrot.

Nothing for parasites. If you don't have access to a microscope, I'd order proform c and fluke m or something similiar.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Doing the clean out, you probably mixed some of the bottom sludge with the top water.

I don't think its septicemia, I think its costia. Are the eyes sunken? Added any new fish? You are going the right direction with Malachite Green but I like Proform C with that and formalin.

Gonna look up your med, not familiar with it.

For right now, I'd do a 20% water change with a chloramine binder.
      Thanks for the response.

Their eyes seem fine. I actually have added some fish recently after the scraping out the bottom of the pond. This is the first time in years I decided to get a little Koi & some Commets. In the shop they appeared healthy with no markings on them what so ever.

Would you recommend this for the binder? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Prof...oramine+binder

How about this for the parasite treatment (can't get proform C) ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blagdon-Ext...atment++Costia

Is it OK to use these all at the same time?

Thanks again

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

NO3 mg/l = 25
      NO2 mg/l = 0

GH mg/l = (Came back OK)

KH mg/l = 6d
      PH mg/l = 7,2
      Cl2 mg/l = 0

Here are the water tests results

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the binder, the Chloramine-T is not the treatment, but https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Pri...8C201YVW1NSC4S would be one that is high on my list.

Unfortunately, the Blagdon Product is not one I am familiar with and they don't really tell much about what it is. The treatment of choice is a mixture of formalin and malachite green. You may be able to find one of the treatments there that is a combination of these ingredients. What information I could get on the Blagdon product sounds like it treats the correct parasites, but it goes on and says it treats flukes which we treat with a separate treatment using Fluke M, or Praziquantel, not having any products that actually do both.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Many people have told me to get scrapes from the fish. I've decided due to the amount of potential issues its best I get someone in to look at it. Got a guy coming over to do a pond health check & see whats up.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Good idea.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So it seems like I had a gill/body fluke problem. Started treatment today & fingers crossed they start recovering.