Thread: Power off 36 hours ??

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hating on the groundhog-it
      lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

Power off 36 hours ??

I always get into this this time of year, wondering if it's OK to turn the filter is back on after an extended period of time. The pressure filter has not been cleaned all winter, neither has my gravity flow filter. My waterfall filters I cleaned a couple weeks ago. Water parameters are ammonia zero nitrIte zero, KH is 10, water temp is probably around 40 right now because the heaters have been off and so has the water circulation for the last 30 or so hours.

My question is this: should I unplug all of my fill Traciann and on the next nice day hopefully get a chance to clean it all out and get it started fresh, or go for the gold and hope that when it starts up rankness hasn't happened. I did just take the filter out of my beta tank, and there's absolutely no smell same with my Goldie tank. The house temperature is 40 also. Nobody is happy including me and the fish. I think my indoor goalies look like they're getting ready to pass away.

When I checked on the koi yesterday they were all Active and fine. I'm going out to check on them in a minute but I wanted to get some ideas on whether or not I should unplug stuff. The power should be on by midnight which puts it at 36 hours being off.

I added SAFE in an overdose quantity yesterday to handle any nasties that may come out if The filters had started up yesterday.

Thanks,

Nancy

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

If the power does start up suddenly I can always run out and add potassium permanganate in case there's any hydrogen sulfide formation, if that would be a recommendation.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Marilyn is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nancy, I had to deal with that a little too often in California as our power outages were frequent and sometimes lengthy.

What I did was supplement a power supply for the air pumps. We had a shop where I could rent a small Honda generator that could easily handle all the air pumps we had in operation. I also unplugged the pumps going to the bead/pressure filters. That way, if the power came back on while I was asleep, they would not dump the anaerobic bead filter water into the ponds. I did a similar thing with adding more binder to offset an ammonia spike.

When the power came back on, I would put the bead filters in backwash mode and plug the pump to the bead filter back in. That way none of the water ever made it into the ponds. It took a while, as I was dealing with multiple systems, but it worked very well.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

Marilyn is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another thought, I increased the flow through on each tank. Of course, this is only going to work if your hose is not frozen, you have enough binder to negate the influx from the tap water and you have an overflow.
      I hope it works out well and resolves quickly for you.
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

catfish whiskers is online now Senior Member
      is Kroizy

Feeling:
      Tired

The Harbor Freight "Predator" generators are actually very good Honda generator copies made in China .
      They have great reviews all over the Internet , so I tried one . Started on the first pull , I'm very impressed and its great for the money. I bought a larger one with a battery and electric start , but it starts so easy by hand , that it doesn't need the electric start.

delbert is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It might be a good time to clean your pressure filter and your gravity filter .
      All winter is a long time. Then you would be good to go.

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

I can't do it right now, it's way too cold out, and it's still drizzling ic I can't do it right now, it's way too cold out, and it's still drizzling ice. It's also nighttime here and the power is supposed to go on soon. I was hoping to just let them turn on and hope for the best. I won't be able to get to the filters until next week because I work every day and the cover is on. I thought that maybe since it's like 40 degrees in there it would be ok. Not sure how fast the anaerobes grow. I've had it off for 12 hours before when it was hot out, but not 3x that in the cold. I was hoping the temp and growth would offset each other. It's also not been sunny out, so underneath the cover it has been kind of chilly and I did not have the heaters on so the water was probably right at 40-45. I just checked on the KOI and they're all doing pretty good, swimming around lazily. Water parameters all zero, even nitrAte. I do have a very lovely growth of algae not only on the bottom and sides, but also the waterfall, which I'm sure takes care of most of the ammonia nitrate and nitrite.

Favorite Quotes:

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If you can't do a backwash on the filters, I would go ahead and plan on adding the PP to neutralize the H2S. Getting the filters back up and running would be very important, and keeping them off for a lot longer will definitely do more bad than good.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

How long do you think they could be off-line in the cold? It's too late to try to get another generator, because they all sold out in the area.

It doesn't look like we're going to get power back anytime soon so I will do that in the morning. I am not going to work, I'm going to try to work on the fishpond in the freezing cold. It's snowing right now. I can't even be outside for more than like five minutes without my hands freezing

Favorite Quotes:

totallyvictorian is offline Senior Member
      is Chilly brrrr

Feeling:
      ----

Nancy..your living my worst nightmare. Wishing you all the best and praying all is well when the power comes
      back on.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

OCkoiFan is online now Senior Member
      is on a tosai winter mission

Feeling:
      Secret

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      The Harbor Freight "Predator" generators are actually very good Honda generator copies made in China .
      They have great reviews all over the Internet , so I tried one . Started on the first pull , I'm very impressed and its great for the money. I bought a larger one with a battery and electric start , but it starts so easy by hand , that it doesn't need the electric start.
      Not to offend your predator
      But if prefer something quieter then check this out
      Champion 2000-Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041K09D8..._U3F1Ab2F3YDN7
      I owned it for couple years but only had to use it couple times
      My neighbors can’t tell anything during the middle of the night
      M.Nguyen

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I came home yesterday morning to find that the GCFI to my pond had been tripped 12 hours prior due to very high winds and freezing rain. Not thinking I just reset it, looked on my monitor to see that all the fish were fine, and went to bed (too tired). What I should have done was to 'filter-to-waste' all my filters at start up before directing the water into the pond. I did not have access to the pond anyways as my pond cover itself is covered in 2-3 inches of ice. Worried, yesterday evening, I broke through the icy covering of my pond to vacuum and found that it was fairly clean down there and the water clear usual.

Now we wait... for after effects... kidding.

In water, hydrogen sulphide exists in uninonised (H2S) and ioniosed (HS- amd S2-) forms. Only the unionized form is considered toxic to aquatic organisms. Unionised H2S concentration is dependent mainly affected by pH. The percentage of unionised H2S decreases as pH increases. H2S could poison fish, but so long as the water is oxidizing (high redox potential aka clean pond, circulated/oxygenated), this very poisonous gas, deadly to fish, could not possibly diffuse into the water, for sulphide could soon be oxidized to harmless sulphate.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...quaculture.pdf
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

onlycrimson is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

NMTsaki, I'm only a few miles from you and we've been out since Sunday morning. I have the cheapo generator (tiny 2 stroke motor) from Harbor Freight and it can run my fridge and charge phones plus the air pump on the pond. It's a tiny unit (6.5 amps max) but ok for small power outages. It's been a reliable unit. At this point we lose power so often I may want a whole house generator. My house is only 52 degrees and we woke up to snow. Not fun any more.

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yep, we had snow this morning too. Ridiculous in mid April. In the summer, my generator is dedicated to the fish, because I can live without air. With it raining so much, I had to put it on the sump pump, and a small heater for the living room. I also alternated between hooking up my air fryer to cook a meal with, and my phone. I bought my generator from Sam's club for about $300 a few years back, and it runs at 3550 watts. I used to have a 10,000 watt generator that would run the whole house, but that died right when the warranty did. Waste of money. Better to get three cheap generators than one expensive one. I am going to buy another one this summer, so I don't have this issue again. Once I have my shoulder replacement surgery, I shouldn't have an issue starting it on my own. At least now, I know how to clean the carburetor!

Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
      NMTsaki, I'm only a few miles from you and we've been out since Sunday morning. I have the cheapo generator (tiny 2 stroke motor) from Harbor Freight and it can run my fridge and charge phones plus the air pump on the pond. It's a tiny unit (6.5 amps max) but ok for small power outages. It's been a reliable unit. At this point we lose power so often I may want a whole house generator. My house is only 52 degrees and we woke up to snow. Not fun any more.

Favorite Quotes:

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

Power is on now, fish are ok, as of now. I added a bit of PP, just in case. Had to do inside filter cleaning of aquariums. I'll recheck water a bit later on the pond to make sure everything is ok still. I didn't smell any H2S when the filters started up, in any of my aquariums or pond, so I think everyone's OK.

Thanks for the help!

Favorite Quotes:

onlycrimson is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Woohoo! Mine is back too, no more freezing cold!

delbert is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry Nancy
      I didn’t think about your temperature
      I had ice yesterday morning and 85 this afternoon

lied

Feeling:
      Awesome

I was primarily thinking that the cold water would inhibit the growth of the anaerobic bacteria, or at least set it back a bit. Plus, counting on all the algae to help maintain the bio. Of course, I didn't feed at all, I save that for when we have a good stretch of sunny weather in the winter. Usually, it's so sunny outside in the winter here that it's very hot under the cover. Looks like we're not going to have a spring here in MI this year.

The fish appear to be fine, but obviously time will tell. I did turn back on the heaters, since it's so bitter out there. Our temps are fluctuating so much lately, I don't know from one day to the next if the pond will be hot under there or cold. Luckily () it was very cold and dismal on the days the power was out, so it made the air and water temps under the cover cooler too.

I guess the answer to my question, at least for cool weather is 30+ hours (!!!)

Favorite Quotes:

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Glad the Pets are ok

gray cat is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

So happy your power is back on and all seems to be well.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!