• Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY stainless bacteria shower pics and question

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ben that thing is crazy!!!!!!
      You do good work my friend. Have you had a chance to vacuum test it yet? You need to see how those sidewalls will react to the vacuum pressure. If the metal flexes too much it will pinch the screen and possibly tweak it.

What is that 2" vertical standpipe in the dirty water chamber?
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

BZIMMER is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks. I design things for a company that makes things for food production and pharma.

I hooked it up. The lid needs work, the flat flange doesn't seal very well with an epdm gasket. I had to add a bunch of c clamps to get it sealed. I might try a softer buna rubber gasket, or have a ridge machined in the lid. Also, I'm not sure about the physics of how it should act when operating. The water drops to a level close to the bottom, and seems to stabilize, I thought it would stay wherever I bled it down to. We will see what it does. I'm not sure if theres a small vacuum leak or what. Its just sitting next to the pond running temporarily while I test it.

The 2" vertical tube is just to equalize the pressure on both sides of the screen. The sides draw in tight against the sides of the screen but not a lot of movement. It actually works out well. If it was too bad I was going to add stiffeners to the outside. I might add a few things to direct the water before and after the screen also. The 4" ferrule with the bleeder valve is where you clean out the waste.

Thanks

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

You definitely need a spillway dam at the top of the screen or else the water won't hit the screen at the top which will waste a lot of screen length.

I thought the lid was going to be an issue. Keeping a vacuum is a tricky business and I didn't have success on my first try either.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

BZIMMER is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any suggestion for something safe to put on the lexan to keep the water from sticking to it? Once it got wet, the water stays on it making it hard to see.

onlycrimson is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not sure there is something you can out on it to stop that (maybe some hydrophobic polymer though?). But just buy a magnetic aquarium algae cleaner that is ok for acrylic and you can clear the window when needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12