• Tired

Thread: Critique: Ki Shusui/Aya Wakaba/Midorigoi Tosai #3

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Critique: Ki Shusui/Aya Wakaba/Midorigoi Tosai #3

I purchased this last tosai & was able to enter it into the CFKS via a vendor tank, and it may have won 1st in Asagi/Shusui for Size 1. I've asked for benching photos so once I receive those I'll post them as well.

Of the three ki/midori colored tosai I purchased, this one has a pattern most consistent with what I've read up on concerning Aya Wakaba. It also has the most white ground of the three, which I thought made for a different contrast considering the other two. The "zipper" appears to have very small or very few actual scales along the dorsal. Here are pictures taken in the bag & after the long trip home:
      Pic 1:
      Name:  20180311_122827.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  33.5 KB
      Pic 2:
      Name:  20180311_122839_007.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  36.8 KB
      Pic 3:
      Name:  20180311_122839_022.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  36.6 KB
      Btw, I'm aware this first set is not critique quality level, they are more for evaluating pattern!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I've taken a few shots of this tosai along with the Budo Goromo tosai I bought with it before I released them both into the QT tank. It should be possible to critique this tosai using the photos so please feel free to share your thoughts & opinions with me:
      Ki/Midori Tosai & Budo Goromo Tosai:
      Name:  20180312_195011.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  82.9 KB
      Winner's Certificate:
      Name:  Screenshot_20180312-182657.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  56.5 KB

Judges categorized this tosai as a Shusui so I feel confident in saying this is probably the closest of the two doitsu fish to being an Aya Wakaba?

Also, that Goromo had the most amazing skin I had seen all weekend of anything that small & I had no choice but to bring it home

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Euryth, that is definitely ayawakaba!! Fits the description to a T. Good job!

Is the middle fish the "scaled ayawakaba" ? Yours? Because at this angle i see a pattern across the back and some scales. I can't picture this fish in future.

(I have no opinion on the budo goromo bec i have tunnel vision and don't know anything about that variety!)

I think if you want one, Mr. Rainblood should give you a "Support Ki" button for your siggy line.
      Last edited by Koigrl; 03-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thank you, Ki-sensei !! I figured this would be my best shot of the three at what I was hoping to find down there. I'm curious how the body will fill in once it begins putting on weight because I'm not sure how to evaluate the frame at this size.

Also, yes that's the same scaled tosai from my second thread!

With Shusui fry/tosai, around what size/age during development would they begin developing a zipper? I don't actually see scales on this little one, just the sumi that would typically be where the dorsal zipper would sit. I noticed this dark line in photos of small Shusui fry, but didn't know when scale development started. Any thoughts?

P.S. I would definitely take Rain up on that Support Ki button if that's an option!
      Last edited by Euryth; 03-13-2018 at 01:22 PM.

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

re your SCALED ayawakaba. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Euryth View Post
      Thank you, Ki-sensei !! I figured this would be my best shot of the three at what I was hoping to find down there. I'm curious how the body will fill in once it begins putting on weight because I'm not sure how to evaluate the frame at this size.

Also, yes that's the same scaled tosai from my second thread!

With Shusui fry/tosai, around what size/age during development would they begin developing a zipper? I don't actually see scales on this little one, just the sumi that would typically be where the dorsal zipper would sit. I noticed this dark line in photos of small Shusui fry, but didn't know when scale development started. Any thoughts?
      Euryth. Hi, All!

In case I remarked on your scaled #2 kawarigoi off this thread, I'm officially having change of opinion from previous take and am now calling it the rare scaled ayawakaba. i say this because of the dorsal-centric pattern and of course the scales showing that it is wagoi. There's no telling how this will look next year, so good for you to keep track!.

I, too am waiting to see how the bodies of my tosai fill out. Mine were hatched last May so will have some age over yours, but, let's learn on this together. I'm finding as I look at my tosai, i'm picking the larger ones for future. big. white. yellow markings.

Pix didn't upload in order.
      first pix is ki at four months. see how the zip is full from head back to dorsal fin, and now coming up from tail forward. I found that this is how it goes; front of zip, where it is one row, comes in first. the back of zip, where it is split around the fin, comes from the tail forward. this fish is showing some darkening under the ki. could be going to ruin the ki.
      Second pic is roughly same age, 14-16 weeks.

the third and fourth pics are at about 8 weeks. i didn't see zips before that age, and more of the littles got them as they
      got older.

fifth pic, this is the white type that i'm screening for now because ki looks best to me on white and may hold longer and better to be decided. Also, have to start screening for body type and by May, they will be one year old and since i'm still learning, i need to see them at that age to begin to judge conformation.

i'm sure ppl with culling exp. can tell sooner.

Euryth, all those little green types ------ cue the music. lol. baby midorigoi of the type that come with my breeding program.

Check out the pix for midori, ki shusui, ayawakaba. My friend who counts fish for me, seeing the 7000 at that age, thought I had about 20% white koi.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Very, very interesting! Looks like the zipper on this little guy won't fill in, but I'm very shocked it's actually missing zipper scales that I can see. Maybe it's younger than I thought? It may be about 3.5 - 4 inches, is it safe tonassume that?

I also have an update on this tosai. I reached out to the dealer, Beni Hanna Nishigikoi, to ask about the bloodline. As it turns out, this tosai comes from the dealer's own Doitsu Ki Kujaku line x Doitsu Hariwake by way of Aoki bloodlines. I do see a slight sheen on the head, but it doesn't have as much sheen to the naked eye like my other metallic koi

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Euryth, so we say phenotype, ayawakaba - genotype, wha? ki kujaku x doitsu hariwake? it sure doesn't look metallic to me. i'm mystified. ogon is metallic so that bit of sheen didn't bother me. Good fish to watch, but this is the point of line breeding, to have a clue as to genetics.
      i once said on kp, 'every spawn is a flock spawn.'
      and this is a case in point.
      we just don't know what's lurking in all the uncharted genetics of this mysterious fish.
      i still say, good example of ayawakaba!

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007