• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Very Perplexed as to the future colour of my tosais

hypersushi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Very Perplexed as to the future colour of my tosais

I bought three new tosais, the Kujaku from Kaneko, the Asagi from Otsuka and the Ginrin Showa from Seijuro late Jan. Being so excited after selecting them, I left them at the dealer's tank (3 weeks quarantine service) without photographing them then. When I picked them up thereafter, I noticed the colours were not as brilliant as they were when I first chose them. The Kujaku had intense red beni which now looked orangey, the Asagi has a red tail but now had no colour on the tail and ginrin showa was red but now orangey.

It's been coming to one month now and they are swimming in my pond. I noticed the second last beni patch on the kujaku's tail is fading out and the ginrin showa's beni is not looking so sharp now. I am wondering the future colour of my Asagi. I've read an article on the net, one which says that most breeders pump their tateshita tategois with colour food just before shipping and once their colours come up, it is only downhill from there (I'm hoping this is not the case for me). I live in Malaysia and I feed 3 to 4 times a day to my tosais (60% Hikari Wheatgerm, 30% Saki-Hikari Colour, 10% FD Build Up [Growth]).

I welcome any feedback or comments. Wish to learn from mistakes and improve in future purchases.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

They were likely fed a color enhancer for a bit before sale. Some changes are expected as they come off of the food and transition into new water that my not be balanced the same as what they grew up in, or even similar in temp. I would expect the asagi to likely regain beni over time as some develope it later than others and the color food may have just enhanced what is to come. The showa will probably lose that tail beni and the step next to it closer to the dorsal fin. The beni there is thin and will not come back. Even if you added a color food, it will likely still fade over time. As for the Kujaku, I have never really tried my hands at them to say much but I am sure others will chime in.

As for mistakes and future purchases, learn what you can and see what develops from these over time. If at some point you no longer like any of them just sell them off and keep what you like. I went through a lot of fish this way to learn what I have and every time my selections improve a little.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Tosai change a lot in the time from being a fry to the 12 inch mark. This is why people are willing to spend more than double for a nisai. The beni that is fading on the kojaku is probably on its way out for good. The beni on the showa may just be lightening from lack of color food or may be fading away completely. Beni has a hard time adjusting top hot weather. I know you come from a very warm climate, so maybe that is the reason. Water over 80 F can destroy beni. Like Jim said, I wouldn't be concerned about the asagi. There is a good chance the beni will develop later.

What is important is that you learn the difference between good soft beni, and hard red beni. If you choose a quality soft beni, its less likely to break apart or fade and will develop as the koi grows. If you find a tosai with bright red, shallow looking beni it likely looks good now, but wont last long. There is a ton of information on this forum about what to look for in beni so that you can reduce the chances of the fish losing it.

My suggestions are as follows

Look for good skin that you can see depth and shine in
      make sure the beni is even colored from shoulder to tail. - no dark or light spots
      Make sure when you look at beni, it looks like it has depth. Almost like a wet red puddle you can see through
      Make sure it has good luster and sheen
      Make sure the fuzzy leading edge of the beni (shashi) is even from shoulder to tail
      Make sure the back edge of the beni plate (Kiwa) is clean.
      Bend the fish: if you bend the the fish so it looks like the fish is turning left or right, you should not be able to see white in between the beni scales.