• Tired

Thread: Thermo pond

don09 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thermo pond

Hi,
      Any one has idea about the: Thermo pond 3.0 de-icer / heater ( this one uses 100 W ) ?
      Is it enough for the pond size 20’ x 10’ and 6’ deep (9000 us gal) ? for the gas exchange.
      Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

One BTU will raise 1 pound of water 1 degree at 100% efficiency. 100 watts will produce 340 BTU per hour at 100% efficiency. There are about 8 lbs of water per gallon, so your 9000 gallon pond has about 72,000 lbs of water. Assuming about 80% efficiency, it will take over 90,000 BTU to raise your pond 1 degree F. The 100 watt heater will have no effect. Possibly a 1500 watt deicer will keep a small hole open in your pond, but only if the winter isn't severe.

don09 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Don, I'd like to invite others to inform about keeping hole open with air. your pond is pretty deep enough for fish to stay warm and with air to keep a hole open you should be able to gas off and keep fish fine. only necessary to keep water above 37F to maintain life and your geothermal should do better than that. that said, i am not proficient in heating.
      grumpy, thoughts? richtoybox?
      Also, pond of that size, you may be able to tent it, greenhouse style.
      Over to others.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

It is designed to only keep a small hole in the ice inside of the device for gas exchange. Looks like it's tested down to - 30F and has a lot of positive reviews on multiple sites.

Number of devices will depend on fish loading and how clean your pond is when it was shut down for winter. Also look into floating some high density foam sheets on the surface before ice forms.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by BWG; 03-04-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Feeling:
      Happy

Personally I would cut a 4 foot round disk of high density foam 1 1/2 to 2 inchs think. Then cut a circle out in the center of the foam disk large enough to place the Thermopond 3 into. Paint the foam disk with water based spray paint the color you desire if the color isn't appealing. If you don't mind a rectangle or square look you could simplify things and just cut out an opening for the Thermopond in a foam sheet.
      Last edited by BWG; 03-05-2018 at 08:07 AM.

malatu is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Personally I would cut a 4 foot round disk of high density foam 1 1/2 to 2 inchs think. Then cut a circle out in the center of the foam disk large enough to place the Thermopond 3 into. Paint the foam disk with water based spray paint the color you desire if the color isn't appealing. If you don't mind a rectangle or square look you could simplify things and just cut out an opening for the Thermopond in a foam sheet.
      Would this work: Instead of placing a thermopond heater in the center of the disc, cover that hole with clear plexiglass with a couple of holes drilled into it. It's just a matter of whether or not the water under the plexiglass will freeze at night or if no sun. It' be worth a try. I was amazed at how the foam board performed this very cold winter. Water simply did not freeze below any of the foam. The ice on my pond was 7 inches thick.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

BWG: Why water based paint? I was planning on painting the remainder of my discs with Oil Base Rustoleum, flat black. Of course only the tops and sides would get painted, not the underside. I used a spray can of paint with the first and only disc (4' dia) I painted and it took the entire can. It probably needed a second coat. Regardless of what paint I use, I'm going to roll and brush it on. One coat and done.

Feeling:
      Happy

I painted some HD foam and the spray paint melted it. Can't remember if it was regular Rustoleum though. Ended up buying I think was the H2O based Rustoleum.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Hmmm... I have an old can of silver oil based rustoleum. I'll test a small spot on the disc and see what happens.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
      Would this work: Instead of placing a thermopond heater in the center of the disc, cover that hole with clear plexiglass with a couple of holes drilled into it. It's just a matter of whether or not the water under the plexiglass will freeze at night or if no sun. It' be worth a try. I was amazed at how the foam board performed this very cold winter. Water simply did not freeze below any of the foam. The ice on my pond was 7 inches thick.
      Great idea! I have some extra double wall clear greenhouse panels and will try this next year.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007