• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 41 to 52 of 52

    Thread: Need input from Zakki sieve owners!

    1. #41
      catfish whiskers's Avatar
      catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Kroizy
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      So Cal
      Posts
      2,436
      Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      I thought I read that Jim used a 100 micro sieve screen for a while. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
      Yes , Jim posted 100 micron up above . I think it's a great idea.

    2. #42
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      6,796
      Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      ok
      Lol

    3. #43
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      6,796

      Arrow

      Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Yes , Jim posted 100 micron up above . I think it's a great idea.
      Wow did not think a 100 micron would work on a zakki. Does it lower the flow rate? Also how was a 100 micron obtained for the zakki sieve?
      Last edited by kevin32; 03-01-2018 at 12:23 AM.

    4. #44
      tbullard is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Augusta,GA
      Posts
      1,033
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I have a small Zakki flowing about 3000gph. Mine is working really well. I have to clean every other day during growing season.

      My bro-in-law's large Zakki never collects much, if any, fish poo. It is weird to see a sieve that sparkle clean after running for a week.
      I had a UltraSieve III and had the same result as your bro-in-law. I rarely saw anything on the screen other than leaves and always felt it was a waste. Of course every pond is different and I see plenty of pictures here that show sieves removing tons of crude so I am sure they have their place. RDF is so much better and based on the sludge pile at the end of my drain line it is doing an excellent job.

    5. #45
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      6,796
      Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      I had a UltraSieve III and had the same result as your bro-in-law. I rarely saw anything on the screen other than leaves and always felt it was a waste. Of course every pond is different and I see plenty of pictures here that show sieves removing tons of crude so I am sure they have their place. RDF is so much better and based on the sludge pile at the end of my drain line it is doing an excellent job.
      Rdf is the way to go i feel. I've used the zakki sieve etc... and rdfs are the best

    6. #46
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      6,796
      My pond also had a 110 watt and the zakki sieve needed cleaned daily and I could stretch it 2 days at best. The rdf did cycle alot in the summer but all my fish stayed healthy and the water looks polished still.

    7. #47
      audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      640
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Rdf is the way to go i feel. I've used the zakki sieve etc... and rdfs are the best
      I have both the sieve and an RDF and honestly the sieve picks up enough crap (even in winter with the cover on) that I feel like the RDF would be clean-cycling all the time if there weren't something removing all but the really small stuff before the water gets to it. I'd like to hear the negatives regarding using a 100-micron sieve screen before the RDF. Maybe it clogs more often or needs more frequent disassembly to do deep cleaning of the screen?

      I'm pretty happy with the water right now but I'm always thinking about future improvements (including improving the fish LOL).

      Name:  Clear Water 2018-02-28.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  90.2 KB

    8. #48
      jimfish98's Avatar
      jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      10,777
      Just checking back in on this. I use a 100m screen on my screen and for that I just asked Zac and he placed the order for me. It came curved and I just had to add the weather stripping to the top and bottom. It does not seem to slow down anything as water is still passing through it. If I let it sit for 2-3 days in summer or 6+ days in the winter there was a chance it would clog, but the over flows in the sieve still allowed water to get past the screen in the case of a clog. It removed a lot of waste and improved the water quality. Now there is less to take out with the RDF so it stays cleaner longer. Right now the only thing getting to it is algae. The cold weather here the other month did a number on my bio setting it back so it is coming back and the algae growth is falling off the walls in chunks. It is handling that like a champ though.



      Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

    9. #49
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,204
      Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      I had a UltraSieve III and had the same result as your bro-in-law. I rarely saw anything on the screen other than leaves and always felt it was a waste. Of course every pond is different and I see plenty of pictures here that show sieves removing tons of crude so I am sure they have their place. RDF is so much better and based on the sludge pile at the end of my drain line it is doing an excellent job.
      The only explanation for fish waste to pass through sieve screen is, somehow the poo broke down to size smaller than the screen openings.

    10. #50
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,818
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      The only explanation for fish waste to pass through sieve screen is, somehow the poo broke down to size smaller than the screen openings.
      Well there are other explanations for this, but none of them are good for me
      As Jim mentioned earlier, all of my sieve screens come with a rubber sealing strip at the top and bottom of the screen. The top strip gets pushed against the back vertical wall and keep the dirty water from going behind the sieve screen, and forces it to go the right way over the face of the screen. I do everything I can to make sure each filter is setup right and the screen fits as well as possible before it gets shipped, but environmental issues can cause the tolerances between the sidewalls of the sieve and the edges of the screen to change. If I fit a sieve screen in the winter time and it is 50* in the warehouse, there is a possibility that during the summer months when the water is warmer the plastic inside the sieve will expand and push tighter against the sieve screen on the edges. This will make the screen more difficult to remove, and in some case it could cause the screen to get a slight bow and the top sealing strip could open up a leak between the back wall and the screen. This is one way that waste could be bypassing the screen, but it would not cause a completely clean screen like you are talking about.
      Sticking with the thermal expansion theme....Every Zakki Sieve comes with a warning label on the sieve screen that says the filter needs to be protected from sunlight when not in use. If there is not water flowing through the sieve, and the clear domed lid is secured to the filter, you can create a magnifying effect from the sunlight and turn the inside of the sieve into an oven. This extra heat will cause the plastic to swell considerably and deform the filter. I have fixed at least three filters that I can remember due to this issue. If the sidewalls are bent then obviously the screen edges will not sit flush and waste can escape through that gap as well. If this has happened to anyone, please contact me and we can arrange a filter fix for you. I have never charged for this kind of repair, but I can not cover shipping charges so that does get kind of expensive depending on where you live.
      Next possibility of waste escaping is the most important one...
      The sealing strip at the bottom of the screen rests nicely against the waste tray at the bottom of the screen. I trim the edges of the rubber to fit as nicely as possible, but rubber can swell and cause fitment issues as well. If the rubber is sitting up on one of the welds on the waste tray, then water/waste can escape under that gap and go into the lower section to be sucked into the pump. Pay close attention to how the rubber is contacting the waste tray and if you need to make a little trim to the rubber then grab a pair of scissors and get it done. This is the most important seal, because this is where all of the waste is congregating and if it can find a way out, then it will.
      Finally a deformed sieve screen can cause misalignment at the top and bottom so pay attention to that as well. If the screen is bowed then give it some bending pressure to get it straight so it sits and the sealing strips do their job.

      Now onto smaller sieve screens...
      My sieve screens are not something that can be found on a shelf somewhere. I custom designed my screens after lots of testing with different V wire sizes, angles, slot openings, etc... So that I could get the most water flow through the smallest screen. This makes my screen more expensive to create than the larger screens that are found in other gravity fed sieves. The way I can get this cost down it to buy in bulk so i order about 40-60 screens at a time to get volume discounts. I ONLY purchase standard 250 microns screens during the late orders. So when people ask me for a custom screen I have to be the bearer of bad news and tell them that a single 100 microns sieve screen for the 16" Zakki Sieve will be $550 + shipping and it will generally take 4-6 weeks for it to be produced. So if they want to incur that cost and timeline then I also have to tell them that extra work will be required on their end to make the screen fit properly. I have to shape each screen with a grinder to fit exactly to the filter it is going with. So there new sieve screen will be untouched when it gets to them, and they will have to do the grinding to make it fit properly. Or they could be extremely luckily and get one that fits right out of the box. It is a gamble. This gamble could be removed if they ordered the 100 microns screen right from the beginning so I could fit both a 250 microns and 100 microns screen into the same filter. Like I said earlier, I do not have these screens in stock so your wait time would be extended doing this.

      So hopefully I haven't scared anyone away from the filters, but I just wanted to be open and honest that the Zakki Sieve just like anything else can have issues that need to be addressed to make it work to its maximum potential.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    11. #51
      jimfish98's Avatar
      jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      10,777
      If anyone has an issue with waste going out of the weather strip at the bottom, I have gone from a single fin strip to a triple. The layering creates a really tight seal and I have no warping on them. You can see it on my old thread when I got the 100m screen.

      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...g-the-Zakki-Jr



      Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

    12. #52
      Jonathan1982 is offline Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      65
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Well there are other explanations for this, but none of them are good for me
      As Jim mentioned earlier, all of my sieve screens come with a rubber sealing strip at the top and bottom of the screen. The top strip gets pushed against the back vertical wall and keep the dirty water from going behind the sieve screen, and forces it to go the right way over the face of the screen. I do everything I can to make sure each filter is setup right and the screen fits as well as possible before it gets shipped, but environmental issues can cause the tolerances between the sidewalls of the sieve and the edges of the screen to change. If I fit a sieve screen in the winter time and it is 50* in the warehouse, there is a possibility that during the summer months when the water is warmer the plastic inside the sieve will expand and push tighter against the sieve screen on the edges. This will make the screen more difficult to remove, and in some case it could cause the screen to get a slight bow and the top sealing strip could open up a leak between the back wall and the screen. This is one way that waste could be bypassing the screen, but it would not cause a completely clean screen like you are talking about.
      Sticking with the thermal expansion theme....Every Zakki Sieve comes with a warning label on the sieve screen that says the filter needs to be protected from sunlight when not in use. If there is not water flowing through the sieve, and the clear domed lid is secured to the filter, you can create a magnifying effect from the sunlight and turn the inside of the sieve into an oven. This extra heat will cause the plastic to swell considerably and deform the filter. I have fixed at least three filters that I can remember due to this issue. If the sidewalls are bent then obviously the screen edges will not sit flush and waste can escape through that gap as well. If this has happened to anyone, please contact me and we can arrange a filter fix for you. I have never charged for this kind of repair, but I can not cover shipping charges so that does get kind of expensive depending on where you live.
      Next possibility of waste escaping is the most important one...
      The sealing strip at the bottom of the screen rests nicely against the waste tray at the bottom of the screen. I trim the edges of the rubber to fit as nicely as possible, but rubber can swell and cause fitment issues as well. If the rubber is sitting up on one of the welds on the waste tray, then water/waste can escape under that gap and go into the lower section to be sucked into the pump. Pay close attention to how the rubber is contacting the waste tray and if you need to make a little trim to the rubber then grab a pair of scissors and get it done. This is the most important seal, because this is where all of the waste is congregating and if it can find a way out, then it will.
      Finally a deformed sieve screen can cause misalignment at the top and bottom so pay attention to that as well. If the screen is bowed then give it some bending pressure to get it straight so it sits and the sealing strips do their job.

      Now onto smaller sieve screens...
      My sieve screens are not something that can be found on a shelf somewhere. I custom designed my screens after lots of testing with different V wire sizes, angles, slot openings, etc... So that I could get the most water flow through the smallest screen. This makes my screen more expensive to create than the larger screens that are found in other gravity fed sieves. The way I can get this cost down it to buy in bulk so i order about 40-60 screens at a time to get volume discounts. I ONLY purchase standard 250 microns screens during the late orders. So when people ask me for a custom screen I have to be the bearer of bad news and tell them that a single 100 microns sieve screen for the 16" Zakki Sieve will be $550 + shipping and it will generally take 4-6 weeks for it to be produced. So if they want to incur that cost and timeline then I also have to tell them that extra work will be required on their end to make the screen fit properly. I have to shape each screen with a grinder to fit exactly to the filter it is going with. So there new sieve screen will be untouched when it gets to them, and they will have to do the grinding to make it fit properly. Or they could be extremely luckily and get one that fits right out of the box. It is a gamble. This gamble could be removed if they ordered the 100 microns screen right from the beginning so I could fit both a 250 microns and 100 microns screen into the same filter. Like I said earlier, I do not have these screens in stock so your wait time would be extended doing this.

      So hopefully I haven't scared anyone away from the filters, but I just wanted to be open and honest that the Zakki Sieve just like anything else can have issues that need to be addressed to make it work to its maximum potential.
      Hi Zac,

      Could you please show us a picture of a bent screen oppose to an straight screen. I have a Zakki Sieve and just want to make sure about the rubber strip gaps at the top and bottom so that they don't have any gaps. I think my top and bottom section has small gaps that need to be addressed. I just want to be sure before tweaking anything.

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •