• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 52

    Thread: Need input from Zakki sieve owners!

    1. #1
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      304

      Need input from Zakki sieve owners!

      Hi,
      I am about ready to buy my first 24" Zakki Sieve. I plan on installing this between my two 2" bottom drains and my ESS6400.

      With Zac's blessing I would like to solicit the forum to make sure when I get this sieve I wont have any "dang I should have done this" after I received and installed my sieve.

      Would you have changed anything from number of inlets, outlets, 3-way size? (considering any future growth or changes) Maybe what size pump your using and are you happy with the max flow your getting?

      Almost everything I have read about Zac and his work including this sieve has been very positive. Again I am not looking for someone to talk me out of my purchase, just something you would have changed or added to make your sieve a 5-star-two-thumbs-upper!

      Thanks for any input, and or pictures.
      Steve

    2. #2
      jimfish98's Avatar
      jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      11,038
      Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      Hi,
      I am about ready to buy my first 24" Zakki Sieve. I plan on installing this between my two 2" bottom drains and my ESS6400.

      With Zac's blessing I would like to solicit the forum to make sure when I get this sieve I wont have any "dang I should have done this" after I received and installed my sieve.

      Would you have changed anything from number of inlets, outlets, 3-way size? (considering any future growth or changes) Maybe what size pump your using and are you happy with the max flow your getting?

      Almost everything I have read about Zac and his work including this sieve has been very positive. Again I am not looking for someone to talk me out of my purchase, just something you would have changed or added to make your sieve a 5-star-two-thumbs-upper!

      Thanks for any input, and or pictures.
      Steve
      From my original sieve to how it is set up now, the only modifications I have done are to the screen itself. I swapped the standard with a 100m screen. I also added a fin to the top due to a small gap but I believe Zac puts those on all of them now. Beyond that it is happily sitting in the same spot it was placed roughly 6 years ago and has been working well the whole time. Not a single complaint on it or how it was set up.



      Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

    3. #3
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,266
      The sieve works well and is easy to maintain. I do think the rated flow rate is way too optimistic. You might be able to push that much water thru but nothing would be trapped with that much turbulence.

    4. #4
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      304
      Thank you both for the input so far. So you are saying that 9000 gallons per hour might be stretching the maximum flow for this sieve?

    5. #5
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,266
      Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      Thank you both for the input so far. So you are saying that 9000 gallons per hour might be stretching the maximum flow for this sieve?
      Yes, if you push that much flow, the fish poo will be dissolved.

      The physics of Zakki is also different from gravity fed sieve. Due to the pressure difference created by the pump, the tiny holes on the screen function like little suctions. The effect is negligible at lower flow rate but is an issue at rated flow.
      Last edited by abuchi123; 02-27-2018 at 05:12 PM.

    6. #6
      vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      California
      Posts
      3,361
      how will you capture fine particles after the sieve ?
      Last edited by vipertom1970; 02-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.

    7. #7
      audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      693
      I've only had my 24" sieve in place for about 6 weeks. Mine has two 3" inputs. I believe my flow rate is around 6500-7000 gph. Based on what's coming out of the sieve and going into my RDF, it definitely does not seem to be too much flow for the sieve at that rate but I can't go higher because I believe my flow rate is at the upper limit of what my RDF can handle.

      I really like the plug & play solution Zak came up with that allows me to easily turn a couple of valves to flush the sieve.

    8. #8
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,968
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Yes, if you push that much flow, the fish poo will be dissolved.

      The physics of Zakki is also different from gravity fed sieve. Due to the pressure difference created by the pump, the tiny holes on the screen function like little suctions. The effect is negligible at lower flow rate but is an issue at rated flow.
      I can see where you are coming from but that just isn't the case. The upper section of the filter is connected to the lower section through the vertical sidewalls of the filter. So there is no suction pressure going through the sieve screen. The water is pushed through the screen by gravity not sucked through it.

      Name:  48 hours of running 2.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  342.5 KB

      Even with that much waste on the screen, there is still air exchange between the upper and lower sections through the air gap between the vertical sidewalls and the outer filter body.

      However you are correct in that the higher the flow rate, the quicker the waste will be dissolved. It is best to flush out the sieve once a day to keep some waste from dissolving, but unless you have a CRAZY clean pond there is no way that all of your waste will dissolve. Otherwise the sieve would be pointless.
      Last edited by Zac Penn; 02-27-2018 at 05:52 PM.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    9. #9
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,266
      Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      I can see where you are coming from but that just isn't the case. The upper section of the filter is connected to the lower section through the vertical sidewalls of the filter. So there is no suction pressure going through the sieve screen. The water is pushed through the screen by gravity not sucked through it.

      Name:  48 hours of running 2.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  342.5 KB

      Even with that much waste on the screen, there is still air exchange between the upper and lower sections through the air gap between the vertical sidewalls and the outer filter body.

      However you are correct in that the higher the flow rate, the quicker the waste will be dissolved. It is best to flush out the sieve once a day to keep some waste from dissolving, but unless you have a CRAZY clean pond there is no way that all of your waste will dissolve. Otherwise the sieve would be pointless.
      You are correct. The pressure is equalised on both sides of the screen. My bad.

      I still standby my assessment that the rated flow rate is too optimistic.

    10. #10
      audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      693
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I still standby my assessment that the rated flow rate is too optimistic.
      What flow are you running with yours?

    11. #11
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      304
      "how will you capture fine particles after the sieve ?"

      I will have duel 55 gallon sand and gravel, followed by 55 gallon drum moving beds, and some water will be diverted to an upper pond that contains plants, biocenosis baskets, several rows of spare filter bushes.
      Last edited by cottagefog; 02-27-2018 at 09:33 PM.

    12. #12
      catfish whiskers's Avatar
      catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      So Cal
      Posts
      2,777
      I've installed six of the 24" sieves, and all are running near or at 10K GPH. A couple of them are on variable speed pumps , that were cranked up to the point of almost overflowing the side walls of the weir box. They can easily take max flow without overpowering the sieve screen or waste collection area. If You flush the waste on a regular basis, the pop collected in the waste area will not dissolve because it is out of the water column , and if You keep the screen clean , the water flow will be above the waste collection area.

    13. #13
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,266
      Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      What flow are you running with yours?
      I have a small Zakki flowing about 3000gph. Mine is working really well. I have to clean every other day during growing season.

      My bro-in-law's large Zakki never collects much, if any, fish poo. It is weird to see a sieve that sparkle clean after running for a week.

    14. #14
      audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Utah
      Posts
      693
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I have a small Zakki flowing about 3000gph. Mine is working really well. I have to clean every other day during growing season.

      My bro-in-law's large Zakki never collects much, if any, fish poo. It is weird to see a sieve that sparkle clean after running for a week.
      Interesting!

    15. #15
      abuchi123's Avatar
      abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      3,266
      Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      I've installed six of the 24" sieves, and all are running near or at 10K GPH. A couple of them are on variable speed pumps , that were cranked up to the point of almost overflowing the side walls of the weir box. They can easily take max flow without overpowering the sieve screen or waste collection area. If You flush the waste on a regular basis, the pop collected in the waste area will not dissolve because it is out of the water column , and if You keep the screen clean , the water flow will be above the waste collection area.
      I wonder what is the difference with John's 24". The water is beating the flat waste area even with 50% flow.

    16. #16
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      7,625
      I ran my zakki sieve Jr for about 2 years and it worked great. I had a large fish load and would clean it out everyday. I have 2 rdfs now so time to pass mine in to mr. wiskers

      Since you are only running 2 2 inch bottom drains maybe have 3 inputs in case you want to add another 3 inch retrofit drain if need be. I know Zac has done 2 inlets but not sure if he can do 3
      Last edited by kevin32; 02-27-2018 at 08:27 PM.

    17. #17
      cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      304
      My initial plan for my 24" sieve was to have 3 inlets and cap off the 3rd (for the future) Discussed this with Zac and it is a possibility.

    18. #18
      catfish whiskers's Avatar
      catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      So Cal
      Posts
      2,777
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I wonder what is the difference with John's 24". The water is beating the flat waste area even with 50% flow.
      Hmmmm, that's weird. The water should be directed down when it hits the weir deflector .
      I can check it out one of these days when I'm in the area.

    19. #19
      Zac Penn's Avatar
      Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Jacksonville, Fl
      Posts
      4,968
      Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I have a small Zakki flowing about 3000gph. Mine is working really well. I have to clean every other day during growing season.

      My bro-in-law's large Zakki never collects much, if any, fish poo. It is weird to see a sieve that sparkle clean after running for a week.
      That doesn't sound right at all. Can you have your brother e-mail me with pictures of the screen so I can take a look at it. I would also like to advise him in testing the screen to make sure it was fabricated properly. I am not perfect and I have had a screen get shipped out that was backwards so there is a possibility this could be a second backwards screen. I had the customer test it under a faucet and confirmed it was backwards. I sent out a different screen and problem solved. Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com


    20. #20
      catfish whiskers's Avatar
      catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and
       
      Feeling:
      Tired
       
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Location
      So Cal
      Posts
      2,777
      Quote Originally Posted by cottagefog View Post
      My initial plan for my 24" sieve was to have 3 inlets and cap off the 3rd (for the future) Discussed this with Zac and it is a possibility.
      If You do , have him make the third inlet a few inches longer , so that when You cut off the glued cap , You will have enough pipe to attach the new plumbing to.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •