• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: NEED Some new ideas for a sloped lot pond!

Trish is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

NEED Some new ideas for a sloped lot pond!

We are building a new home this summer and it is located on a golf course fairway, facing East. I am doing all of the landscaping in a tiered fashion and have some old wooden water staves ( pipes) that I want to incorporate..THey used to supply water to mines..we are miners and would like to keep the theme going ..I will most likely have them lined with some EPDM pipe or PVC but they can be submerged a bit so they will swell and look like they are in use...I have a large supply so I can use as many as needed...I'm good with any ideas or suggestions and maybe tips on the various levels ..Id like to keep fish on upper most level so people aren't tempted to visit them at the bottom. This thing can have levels or tiers and we are really good with concrete but would like to make it look somewhat natural for planting purposes ,,,but also clean...prob need some ideas on different pumping scenarios as well...

Photos of pipes are attached for ideas...Name:  fixedw_large_4x.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  69.7 KBName:  041-Water-Pipe-1875_1919_MerimbulaMuseum.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  116.5 KB

Any help would be great ,.,I'm having a major brain fart!

Thanks every one...
      Trish

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have an imagination, a big ONE, and I can't think of anything. we will both watch this thread
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks interesting. I can make suggestions about filtration but not much help with incorporating your wooden pipes into the landscape design.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      Looks interesting. I can make suggestions about filtration but not much help with incorporating your wooden pipes into the landscape design.
      I’m thinking of laying them side by side about 6 across and having them be an aerator orf sort as well as just a cool *** waterfall. But if I did tiers it would be pretty amazing. Just getting thr pump to bring enough water up or maybe make some sort of manifold at the top to go into each pipe. Filter at bottom. Not sure. Just was hoping someone wanted to live vicariously through my labor on this.

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
      I’m thinking of laying them side by side about 6 across and having them be an aerator orf sort as well as just a cool *** waterfall. But if I did tiers it would be pretty amazing. Just getting thr pump to bring enough water up or maybe make some sort of manifold at the top to go into each pipe. Filter at bottom. Not sure. Just was hoping someone wanted to live vicariously through my labor on this.
      We are going to need some kind of drawings, even if they are rough, as to what you want this pond project to look like. Pictures of the lot as well will be very helpful. As for using the pipes, i certainly wouldn't trust them to be water tight, but you could slip PVC pipe into the wooden pipe, and stop the PVC 6" or so short of the end of the wooden pipe. This would give the look that the wooden pipe was transporting the water, when in fact it was the pvc pipe inside the wood.

If you are going to run multiple tiers for this pond project I highly recommend you keep the top tier completely isolated from the other levels. This way you run the koi pond as a normal koi pond would, and the lower sections can just simply overflow into each other without needing real filtration. This way you can have water gardens in the lower section and a true koi pond in the upper section. You can even make it look like the koi pond is overflowing into the lower sections with waterfalls, but the water being supplied would be coming from the bottom pond and not the koi pond.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A picture of the sloped lot would help

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There was a tv show on a few years back about a company out west ( not sure if it was California, Washington or Oregon ) that used reclaimed redwood and other lumber in a lot of creative ways , I seem to remember they got a big contract to create a " wild west " attraction at some roadside restaurant or store. I think they made it look like a mining operation with water towers, sluiceways, and small buildings that were made to look old by using the reclaimed lumber. It came out great and looked just like it had been preserved from the old mining days.
      You could use the wooden pipes, lined with pvc , to create a similar look , and have some sluiceways connecting the tiers. Couple of small shacks could hide the filtration systems . Heck- don't stop there- add in some old mining carts and rails, and have those hand cranked carts for people to go from one area to another....

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

seriously! I wanna see anyone come up with a worthwhile way to use those things in a koi pond.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Stave pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      We are going to need some kind of drawings, even if they are rough, as to what you want this pond project to look like. Pictures of the lot as well will be very helpful. As for using the pipes, i certainly wouldn't trust them to be water tight, but you could slip PVC pipe into the wooden pipe, and stop the PVC 6" or so short of the end of the wooden pipe. This would give the look that the wooden pipe was transporting the water, when in fact it was the pvc pipe inside the wood.

If you are going to run multiple tiers for this pond project I highly recommend you keep the top tier completely isolated from the other levels. This way you run the koi pond as a normal koi pond would, and the lower sections can just simply overflow into each other without needing real filtration. This way you can have water gardens in the lower section and a true koi pond in the upper section. You can even make it look like the koi pond is overflowing into the lower sections with waterfalls, but the water being supplied would be coming from the bottom pond and not the koi pond.
      Soo....why not recirculate the whole thing? bottom to the top ? And yessss! of course I'm going to line the stave pipes..but I want to submerge them so they will swell back up like they're supposed to look..These things are pretty amazing, and I can do concrete ponds like I have currently , but was hoping for a multi pond (not for fish) but something with some levels pooling and falling for plants etc .. And more natural looking this time where the vegetation can grow to the edges and provide some natural filtration..I have been using a hayward pool filter for the past 7 years or so, and its great ..because it clears up the water super fast if anything gets nasty..which almost never happens ...My fish are super hearty and I've had them for almost 9 years now so I must be doing something right , But this new project needs to be done with some foresight and I don't want the fish at the bottom by the golf course (because drunk people are stupid and like to check things out)so Id rather keep my fish up high where I know they will be safe.
      I can't get an elevation shot now since it is covered in snow ...but in a month I will be able to take some shots of the general vicinity it will go..
      just hoping that all of you fish pros can help a girl out...this (BTW) in case it gets anyone excited --this is Evel Knievel's old home site in Butte ..his house is next door still ..but we are building new stuff next to it on his horse property
      No mine carts or mine" junk" (my hubby said no) but I have other fun items to put by it if needed ..I just need to get it done so my fish aren't in their winter condo the whole summer >>
      Get your thinking caps on and I will get pics and elevations as soon as we get temps above minus BRRRR degrees!

Thanks guys!
      Trish
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

As a kid I was in wonder with a working 3 foot wood penstock that went for miles above ground where we fished in Eastern Oregon.

I would suggest something similar with your small pipes, leave them above water where they can be touched and clearly seen. I believe the key would to have your liner pipe inside the wood pipe must leak water, with some small holes every few feet perhaps. Some water packing (oakum) between the liner and wood would be good every couple of feet to force the leaking water out thru the wood seams. Initially all the water coming out the small holes will come out of the wood seams, but with time, the leaks would be reduced when the swelling happens. If the wood pipe was in a "dry stream" bed, the leaks would rejoin the flow at the next lower pool.

Since you will be forced to shutdown this stream each winter, I assume the pipe needs to dry out as much as possible before it freezes, but since these pipes fail when shrinkage gets great enough for gravity to collapse the wood leaving the steel spiral skeleton that will be a worry each winter. The closer the liner pipe is to the inside diameter of the wood seems critical, but not too tight since the coefficient of expansion is so different between the materials.

Now, I have never tried anything like this, so an experiment would be good, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, and I like the idea of these special pipes being able to be closely inspected and admired rather covered with water and algae. Some leaks will only add to the knowledge that these wood things are actually carrying water.

Name:  7garden-waterfall.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  271.4 KB

Just some thoughts.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

If you install the pipe above ground it will need "proper" saddles to fit in with the history. From Stone & Webster in the 1930's:

Name:  1934_bmw705.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  68.6 KB

learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Interesting, the is still a manufacturer of wood penstocks.

"The Canbar Wood Stave Pipe is the most environmentally friendly solution to the challenge of building pipelines through fragile environmental areas. The assembly of Wood Stave Pipelines is carried out on site. The wood components and steel bands are easily transported to the site without the need for expensive, heavy equipment. There is minimal need to scar the terrain by building a service road."

Name:  New Wood Pipe supplier.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  123.5 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.22.31 PM.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  100.5 KBName:  07-greenhouse-koi-pond-waterfall-1024x681.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  363.6 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Heres the place

Name:  IMG_6579.PNG
Views: 214
Size:  1.26 MB

Ok guys //heres the house and the elevations etc...Im over the stave pipe and moved on to the waterfall like above ..its in Australia ..very awesome ..
      The other wall is from a landscaping site but I like the wall into pond idea ??

My total drop is approx 12 from top of grade to patio level grade below...we will pour patio approx 4 ft in elevation higher than the golf course..the entire right side of house and below it is the oyster to be taken!
      I'm up for ideas..the stairs that come out of the outdoor kitchen area have to be cool and go through , or over the ponds ( yes layers of ponds ..maybe 3 ) bottom pond with koi and we will pour the concrete patio with an infinity edge to hang over pond and for shade for them as well...I bring my fish into the garage in winter so I can do a 5ft or so pond ...or less...I need ideas and stuff for this as its my second one that I've ever done and we are wanting it to be fantastic !

Also ..I can do sculpted concrete for the rocks or bring in natural ones ..also wondering if we should build a room for pumps filters etc into the retaining wall ..which BTW has another curved extension being added to it that will curve back/ into the slope and die out .so we could maybe put a pond into the top of the curve with the right tie backs in place ...

I can do some drawings of what we are thinking but honestly its a bit overwhelming this time...ANy help for drains and pumps and just everything would be great!

Thanks guys!
      UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO TAKE A ROAD TRIP TO MONTANA!>>

TRISH
      Last edited by Trish; 07-31-2018 at 11:45 PM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
      Name:  IMG_6579.PNG
Views: 214
Size:  1.26 MB

Ok guys //heres the house and the elevations etc...Im over the stave pipe and moved on to the waterfall like above ..its in Australia ..very awesome ..
      The other wall is from a landscaping site but I like the wall into pond idea ??

My total drop is approx 12 from top of grade to patio level grade below...we will pour patio approx 4 ft in elevation higher than the golf course..the entire right side of house and below it is the oyster to be taken!
      I'm up for ideas..the stairs that come out of the outdoor kitchen area have to be cool and go through , or over the ponds ( yes layers of ponds ..maybe 3 ) bottom pond with koi and we will pour the concrete patio with an infinity edge to hang over pond and for shade for them as well...I bring my fish into the garage in winter so I can do a 5ft or so pond ...or less...I need ideas and stuff for this as its my second one that I've ever done and we are wanting it to be fantastic !

Also ..I can do sculpted concrete for the rocks or bring in natural ones ..also wondering if we should build a room for pumps filters etc into the retaining wall ..which BTW has another curved extension being added to it that will curve back/ into the slope and die out .so we could maybe put a pond into the top of the curve with the right tie backs in place ...

I can do some drawings of what we are thinking but honestly its a bit overwhelming this time...ANy help for drains and pumps and just everything would be great!

Thanks guys!
      UNLESS SOMEONE WANTS TO TAKE A ROAD TRIP TO MONTANA!>>

TRISH
      Incredible residence!
      But I think to suggest pumps and such it would help to see what you're envisioning.

Looking forward to watching the transformation!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

steve My neighbor owns the plane hangars and the fuel at the airport here ..come out and help ! BTM I live within a stones throw!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007