Thread: Flex seal for Spillway...Questions

uscstaylor is offline Senior Member
      is in love with his Koi more the
      his car

Feeling:
      Cool

Flex seal for Spillway...Questions

Hey Folks
      Spring is almost here and I plan on building my own spillway. I am going to make it out of wood construction and then use a waterproof spray approx. 3 coats. My question is: Has anyone used this Spray flex paint to apply to pond fixtures and if so is it safe...That's it in a nut shell.

Anyone with good info please post thanks a lot folks....Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  46.8 KB

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

I have not use this product but I used “pond amor” which can be roll or brush like paint on almost anything. Why not pvc sheets or fiberglass materials but wood?
      M.Nguyen

yorkie is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I have used the liquid on my parents waterfall and it worked well and it is fish safe. You apply it with a pain brush it was about $30 a quart.

Yorkie
      A true pondaholic!
      40,000 Gallons, 45 koi

uscstaylor is offline Senior Member
      is in love with his Koi more the
      his car

Feeling:
      Cool

OK Thanks I am going to us this and see how it goes...I post here with some pictures. Thanks

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Below is an excerpt from Flex Seal MSDS sheet. As I read through the MSDS sheet most if not all hazards to plants, humans, and fish were before Flex Seal was dried and cured.
      I personally wouldn't hesitate to use it on the pond and follow directions to a tee.

I have used Flex Seal but it was on copper-like tiki torches that had a few rust holes on the bottom of each one. I brushed it on and hasn't leaked yet.

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION ENVIRONMENTAL STABILITY: Hydrocarbons (such as the main components of this product) are not photolyzed or hydrolyzed to any great extent. This product will not evaporate or biodegrade readily in the environment. All work practices should be aimed at preventing releases to the environment. In the event of a release to soil, the contaminated soil should be removed if possible. Additional environmental data for components of this product are provided as follows: ASPHALT: Solubility: Insoluble. Biodegradation: The biodegradation of both an n-alkane and several carboxylated cycloalkanes was examined within tailings produced by the extraction of bitumen from the Athabasca oil sands. The carboxylated cycloalkanes examined were structurally similar to naphthenic acids that have been associated with the acute toxicity of oil sand tailings. The biodegradation potential of naphthenic acids was estimated by determining the biodegradation of both the carboxylated cycloalkanes and hexadecane in oil sand tailings. Carboxylated cycloalkanes were biodegraded within oil sand tailings, although compounds with methyl substitutions on the cycloalkane ring were more resistant to microbial degradation. Microbial activity against hexadecane and certain carboxylated cycloalkanes was found to be nitrogen- and phosphorus-limited. (Type of asphalt used in this test report not indicated) EFFECT OF MATERIAL ON PLANTS or ANIMALS: Large releases may have adverse effects on plant and animal life. EFFECT OF CHEMICAL ON AQUATIC LIFE: This product may adversely affect aquatic life if released into an aquatic environment. If high concentrations of the product are released to an aquatic environment, death of fish, animals, and invertebrates may occur.

kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Like Mitch said why wood? Also flex seal is ok but i could think of better ways to seal a spillway. Not sure exactly what your spillway will look like but I've sealed up more shower pans than I can think of and had no leaks. Really need to know what your spillway will look like etc... to give a better answer

Did this yesterday. Whole shower is water tight and I don't trust any paint on stuff ever.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by kevin32; 02-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.