• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time To Start the Spring Pond Routine?

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Euryth View Post
      Thanks for weighing in on this! I'm not sure I follow, so could you expound a bit?

I had been using this as a guide to know when to start ramping up the feeding during late summer - fall to best put growth on my herd. With it, I've been able to take Tosai from 5" - 6" to 12" - 14" and Nisai from 14" - 16" to 19" - 20" in one season (after late spring/early summer QT FOR newcomers) following this schedule of food every 2.5 hrs for 5 feedings daily. Seemed to work fine for me, but it may be something I'm missing lol I'm still a new hobbyist & trying to find what works is trial & error for me so far!

Every 2.5 hrs
      I’m going to have to quit my job ... that’s good growth

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I've been feeding Saki growth all year for the first time ever. When I fed the hikari wheat germ it just seems it passes right through them and ends up as waste. I just feed less growth then I did wheat germ and my water has stayed perfect also. My water is 50 degrees right now and it will be a low of 29 degrees tomorrow morning. I did not feed today and probably won't until the water warms up more.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
      Every 2.5 hrs
      I’m going to have to quit my job ... that’s good growth
      Autofeeder lol. Don't quit your dayjob

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Autofeeder lol. Don't quit your dayjob
      Lol! No, at the time I was a full time graduate school student and ended up working from home as well, so I had ample time to go out and feed them. Back then, I was doing water changes every 4 or 5 days, but the feeding regimen I was using really built up my bio to handle feeding 3% of their body weight spread out over 5 feedings. Last fall I didn't get that much growth out of the newer fish and was actually going to look into an autofeeder now that I work far from home, full time. At most, I'll be able to do 4 feedings a day as things stand.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Euryth View Post
      Lol! No, at the time I was a full time graduate school student and ended up working from home as well, so I had ample time to go out and feed them. Back then, I was doing water changes every 4 or 5 days, but the feeding regimen I was using really built up my bio to handle feeding 3% of their body weight spread out over 5 feedings. Last fall I didn't get that much growth out of the newer fish and was actually going to look into an autofeeder now that I work far from home, full time. At most, I'll be able to do 4 feedings a day as things stand.
      I've never used a autofeeder yet. I have trust issues lol. I fed my little 4-5 inch tosai when i was home. About 3 Maybe 4 times a day sometimes. My largest is a ogon that is 14.5. Hopefully she will grow good again. I do think feeding every 2.5 hours is great though. Less amount at a time and more often let's the biofilter handle the load better also vs less frequent feeding and heavier amounts

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

By now it's pretty obvious that spring has arrived, but my temps are still all over the place I've gotten some new additions so had to move the little ones to my main pool and left three canaries to QT with my new tosai. I'm currently feeding at about .5% body weight when temps are 60* and above, and then back to .25 around mid to upper 50's.

Got a question, though. I ended up composting a nice pile of leaves and pretty much have an endless supply of earthworms lol. My backyard is untreated and no pesticides or herbicides have been used back there (for now). I've been giving them about 10 - 20 earthworms at least 2 or 3 times a week, but are earthworms too high in protein for this time of year?

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not quite time to start spring routine here yet. Up to 66 some days but down to 28 by morning. Several inches of snow last week which disappeared quickly the next day, but snow predicted again for Wednesday.
      Nancy

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Yeah, that's similar to our story here. Might get to 55 today but overnight lows are in the low thirties so the pond is hanging on around 47 degrees. The fish look great! The water is super clear!

steve

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

It's supposed to be 69 as today's high and then we'll get a low of 36 tonight around my area I'm getting impatient lol. Temps for the next two days will dip into the 50's again with lows near freezing or slightly above. I would like to be able to have more stable temps to start feeding a bit more consistently but we'll soon see.

Also starting to see mosquitoes trying to get started and am NOT excited about that at all. Going to start tossing those Mosquito Dunk Mosquito Bit pellets everywhere that shows the slightest sign of moisture and placing Mosquito Dunks in the storm drain wonderfully placed behind my property If they're allowed to get started in earnest, they make it nearly impossible to enjoy being outside during late spring and summer.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12