• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Central Florida Koi Show Pump Off!

Zac Penn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So I spent another 3 hrs working on the pump testing station, but I only got back to where I was this morning. While I was flipping the tank I ended up sneezing, lost my grip on the sidewall and watched the bottom fall down 2' and break a circular piece out of the bottom of the tank. Luckily, it was a pretty clean break, so I was able to super glue it back into position so i had a flat surface to place a patch over. I then formed a 1/4" thick patch that would go on top of the repair area and super glued that down read good to the entire surface. Then about 50' of welding rod was used to make the patch structural and water tight.

Name:  20180215_134019.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.8 KB
      Name:  20180215_134059.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  212.6 KB
      Name:  20180215_134127.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

I am SOOOOO glad no one was around to hear me yelling at myself this morning.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

You do very nice work. In steel welding, a good weld is stronger (in tension, perhaps not bending) than the steel itself, in plastic welding is that also true?
      Thanks for you efforts.

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the plumbing size
      10" would get me there

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks.
      Unfortunately in plastic welding that is not the case. The welding rod is slightly weaker than the sheet material because it gets hotter and ends up bending during the welding process, so it is stressed more than the sheet. On high stress welds like the bottom to sidewall connections I triple weld these joints so they are very strong. In this break, none of my welds broke, but the sheet material fractured from the impact.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      What is the plumbing size
      10" would get me there
      Tim I wish i could accomplish that, but there just isn't enough space for that kind of piping. You need long runs of straight pipe for the flow meter, and the larger the diameter the longer the straight pipe needs to be. Also with larger pipe we are limited by minimum flow rates. For a 10" diameter pipe the minimum flow rate would be around 8,000 GPH in order to get accurate results. That wouldn't work for the smaller pumps. I am going to be using a 4" measuring tube so that our minimum flow rate will be around 2,400 GPH for accurate results.

kevin32 is offline Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      So I spent another 3 hrs working on the pump testing station, but I only got back to where I was this morning. While I was flipping the tank I ended up sneezing, lost my grip on the sidewall and watched the bottom fall down 2' and break a circular piece out of the bottom of the tank. Luckily, it was a pretty clean break, so I was able to super glue it back into position so i had a flat surface to place a patch over. I then formed a 1/4" thick patch that would go on top of the repair area and super glued that down read good to the entire surface. Then about 50' of welding rod was used to make the patch structural and water tight.

I was drunk and decided to put my zakki sieve in my cement pad. Forgot about the 2 foot hole in the ground from Inc tank. I feel and and bust the 2 inch pipe. I was able to fix it but sure was sore the next day

kevin32 is offline Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post

I was drunk and decided to put my zakki sieve on my cement pad. Forgot about the 2 foot hole in the ground from Ibc tank. I feel and and bust the 2 inch outlet pipe. I was able to fix it but sure was sore the next day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123