• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central Florida Koi Show Pump Off!

Zac Penn is online now Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

So I spent another 3 hrs working on the pump testing station, but I only got back to where I was this morning. While I was flipping the tank I ended up sneezing, lost my grip on the sidewall and watched the bottom fall down 2' and break a circular piece out of the bottom of the tank. Luckily, it was a pretty clean break, so I was able to super glue it back into position so i had a flat surface to place a patch over. I then formed a 1/4" thick patch that would go on top of the repair area and super glued that down read good to the entire surface. Then about 50' of welding rod was used to make the patch structural and water tight.

Name:  20180215_134019.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  59.8 KB
      Name:  20180215_134059.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  212.6 KB
      Name:  20180215_134127.jpg
Size:  77.6 KB

I am SOOOOO glad no one was around to hear me yelling at myself this morning.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Happy

You do very nice work. In steel welding, a good weld is stronger (in tension, perhaps not bending) than the steel itself, in plastic welding is that also true?
      Thanks for you efforts.

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What is the plumbing size
      10" would get me there

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks.
      Unfortunately in plastic welding that is not the case. The welding rod is slightly weaker than the sheet material because it gets hotter and ends up bending during the welding process, so it is stressed more than the sheet. On high stress welds like the bottom to sidewall connections I triple weld these joints so they are very strong. In this break, none of my welds broke, but the sheet material fractured from the impact.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      What is the plumbing size
      10" would get me there
      Tim I wish i could accomplish that, but there just isn't enough space for that kind of piping. You need long runs of straight pipe for the flow meter, and the larger the diameter the longer the straight pipe needs to be. Also with larger pipe we are limited by minimum flow rates. For a 10" diameter pipe the minimum flow rate would be around 8,000 GPH in order to get accurate results. That wouldn't work for the smaller pumps. I am going to be using a 4" measuring tube so that our minimum flow rate will be around 2,400 GPH for accurate results.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      So I spent another 3 hrs working on the pump testing station, but I only got back to where I was this morning. While I was flipping the tank I ended up sneezing, lost my grip on the sidewall and watched the bottom fall down 2' and break a circular piece out of the bottom of the tank. Luckily, it was a pretty clean break, so I was able to super glue it back into position so i had a flat surface to place a patch over. I then formed a 1/4" thick patch that would go on top of the repair area and super glued that down read good to the entire surface. Then about 50' of welding rod was used to make the patch structural and water tight.

I was drunk and decided to put my zakki sieve in my cement pad. Forgot about the 2 foot hole in the ground from Inc tank. I feel and and bust the 2 inch pipe. I was able to fix it but sure was sore the next day

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post

I was drunk and decided to put my zakki sieve on my cement pad. Forgot about the 2 foot hole in the ground from Ibc tank. I feel and and bust the 2 inch outlet pipe. I was able to fix it but sure was sore the next day

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Well I have some possibly bad news...
      I was supposed to spend today dialing in the testing station and getting the flow meter all setup and calibrated, but I had to spend the whole day at the ER because my 2 year old son had a febrile seizure and had to go in the ambulance. Luckily, he is doing well and is back home without any real damage. We are shaken up but doing okay as well. Unfortunately I may not be able to get the testing station up and running at the koi show this weekend because I still have to break the setup down and load it all up tomorrow. If you were planning on bringing some pumps to the show, please do so but please don't be mad at me if we are not up and running. Worse case scenario is we start testing back at my warehouse when I get settled back home. Sorry to burst some bubbles, but please send your thoughts and prayers my way that Liam's fever breaks and we don't have anything like this happen again tomorrow. If so, then I may not be in Orlando at all this weekend and that would be really sad.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Thoughts are with you and your family Zac. I hope he gets better soon!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Take it easy Zac. Sorry to hear and wish you the best..pumps can wait buddy.

jimfish98 is online now Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Sent you a message on FB....

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Prayers for you and your family.

My niece had one too couple of years ago while running a fever. Was a frightening experience.

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Prayers for Liam to get better soon

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can only do so much Zac . Family comes first

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Prayers for you and your son Zac. Take care of important things first, the rest can wait, and nothing is more important than family.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks everyone. Liam is doing great and seems to be back to his normal self. It was scary but over. I somehow made it to Orlando somewhat on time, and even had a chance to make the plumbing setup for the testing station, however I have not had a chance to turn anything on yet. I will try and play with it today after the show, or if anyone wants to hang out at my booth and try to figure everything out with the flow meter calibration then you are welcome to do that as well.

Just in case you have a pump you want to test, and if we get it working, then here is a picture of the setup rig, and some dimensions for you to easily swap your pump into the mix without any cutting....
      The 2" horizontal pump inlet is setup at 12" OC from the ground, but blocks of wood can be used to get the correct height based on your pump.
      The vertical 2" pump outlet needs to terminate at 24" from the ground NOT FROM THE PUMP OUTLET.
      The 2" horizontal pump inlet pipe needs to terminate 16" OC away from the vertical pump outlet pipe.
      Name:  pump install measurements.png
Views: 234
Size:  1.38 MB
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Mild Bill is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Crazy

Glad to hear everything is ok at home. I think it always seems worse with someone so young because they seem to be a little helpless. Now on to a lighter subject. Are you planing to test the PerformancePro line of pumps. I had gotten the 6300gph along with your sieve and would be interested in its stats.

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mild Bill View Post
      Glad to hear everything is ok at home. I think it always seems worse with someone so young because they seem to be a little helpless. Now on to a lighter subject. Are you planing to test the PerformancePro line of pumps. I had gotten the 6300gph along with your sieve and would be interested in its stats.
      Yes I have a brand new A2-1/3-63 I want to test out before it goes to the customer. Probably won't be done until after I get back though.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

well I didn't read this thread before showing up with my pumps...but I did bring em...they stayed in the truck. Some other time.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast