• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Central Florida Koi Show Pump Off!

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Central Florida Koi Show Pump Off!

Zac is building the first pond pump tester, and is going to set it up at CFKS in Orlando in three weeks...
      I am sure he will post on this thread but the main push behind this thread is to get various pumps brought to the show by us so we can have a broad spectrum of pumps to test...
      I also believe that the better pump manufacturers are close to telling the truth about their pumps performances and energy usages, but validating by an independent source can only be a good thing... While Zac prefers PerformancePro Pumps he is going to test some of those in front of any of us that want to see the real testing, and I would prefer the testing be independent of a person selling pumps. Hopefully this will be the first step in establishing some consumer protection by the hobby.
      I would like for you to reflect a minute and think of any pumps you have that you aren't using and why you aren't. And perhaps decide to bring them to be tested...
      Bring your knock offs, bring that pool pump you thought was the right pump when you bought it....bring your brand spanking new FF with the variable control.
      let's see what we got laying around that we bought already, and have the data on them determined and recorded so we can establish a non-biased database on ponds used in the koi world So people can find info on them before they purchase the wrong pump.
      The two pumps I can bring are:
      SHE 1.7 by Sweetwater (slightly used)
      Advantage 8500(still in the packing material
      They have been in the garage for several years. I will try and find the performance info online and bring that (as you should too so we can compare it to what we see).

So who else has something interesting to test...(everything will be interesting).
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We can also establish a time so the tests are done around the same time so anyone interested in the event in general can see them all tested instead of testing one here and two there, and that one tomorrow....

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

70 views and no one else is gonna bring a pump?

ccna101 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Luke,

I think you will get more pump to eval- soon ...

I am just your neighbor on the sunny Calif. side I don't think you will have lack of interest ... I myself have 8 ( 1 ES8500, 3 waterway and a ESBB10.5, 3 DCT15000 )... I would load those up and bring them in if you was anywhere near ...

Pls youtube the session so we can see your progress .

-d-

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Oh, the things I do for you guys. I spent around 5 hrs today making the testing tank and it is EXACTLY 48" inside dimensions in diameter x 48 1/2" tall.
      Name:  20180212_135215.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  167.3 KB
      Name:  20180212_135234.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  88.7 KB
      Name:  20180212_135452.jpg
Size:  176.4 KB
      Name:  20180212_145106.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  79.4 KB
      Name:  20180212_164934.jpg
Size:  112.5 KB
      Name:  20180212_165005.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  184.3 KB

More updates as they come along.
      Zac Penn.... Not an expert on Pump Testing, no matter what people may think!
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Jonathan1982 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Zac and Luke. This will help alot of uncertainties in the hobby / pumps. Good work !!

KurtG is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great idea and wish I was closer too. I know my ES is not near the specs it was sold at; it even came labeled differently.

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Dang I wish I could be there.

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I bet $50 on the FF vs any pump out there based on GPH/wattage/ head height and if the FF wins then the $50 will goes to ZAC.

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      I bet $50 on the FF vs any pump out there based on GPH/wattage/ head height and if the FF wins then the $50 will goes to ZAC.
      $50 is it then. Sure u don't want to double That? Would gladly donate the $ to zac

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      $50 is it then. Sure u don't want to double That? Would gladly donate the $ to zac
      Ok $100...........come on BE and ESBB10500 !!!!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Ok $100...........come on BE and ESBB10500 !!!!
      Handshake

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Wait a second...Now I have incentive to fudge the numbers
      Luckily for everyone else involved/interested, I will not be the man in charge at the koi show. I will be supplying the setup and equipment needed for the testing, but I am going to leave Luke in charge of the testing and data recording if he is up to it. HOPEFULLY, I will have a bunch of interested customers at my booth that will be looking for filtration advice so I don't want to neglect them while the pump testing is going on.

Anyone else want to volunteer their time with Luke to help out with this testing?
      Do we have a schedule of the seminars that are going on at the show? I don't want to create a fuss at my booth while an important seminar is going on.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ccna101 View Post
      Hi Luke,

I think you will get more pump to eval- soon ...

I am just your neighbor on the sunny Calif. side I don't think you will have lack of interest ... I myself have 8 ( 1 ES8500, 3 waterway and a ESBB10.5, 3 DCT15000 )... I would load those up and bring them in if you was anywhere near ...

Pls youtube the session so we can see your progress .

-d-
      Youtubing the highlights might be a good idea.... And I hope other peo
      ple step up. In general people do more talking than doing, and the internet messageboards are just a haven for talkers... Now if just a little physical effort is given....

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      Wait a second...Now I have incentive to fudge the numbers
      Luckily for everyone else involved/interested, I will not be the man in charge at the koi show. I will be supplying the setup and equipment needed for the testing, but I am going to leave Luke in charge of the testing and data recording if he is up to it. HOPEFULLY, I will have a bunch of interested customers at my booth that will be looking for filtration advice so I don't want to neglect them while the pump testing is going on.

Anyone else want to volunteer their time with Luke to help out with this testing?
      Do we have a schedule of the seminars that are going on at the show? I don't want to create a fuss at my booth while an important seminar is going on.
      HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA you think anyone wants to work with me? ANd YOU volunteered me!? I didn't mind giving some money to this, and I will bring pumps, but I am not good with plumbing or recording and presenting it in the best format... I no absolutely ZERO about how to write documents or graphs in computerese.
      I will gladly help....
      But Zac, I already said we should establish a specific time to test the pumps...like Saturday evening at the end of the day but before the banquet...have a few brews and a pissing contest...sorta

Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA you think anyone wants to work with me? ANd YOU volunteered me!? I didn't mind giving some money to this, and I will bring pumps, but I am not good with plumbing or recording and presenting it in the best format... I no absolutely ZERO about how to write documents or graphs in computerese.
      I will gladly help....
      But Zac, I already said we should establish a specific time to test the pumps...like Saturday evening at the end of the day but before the banquet...have a few brews and a pissing contest...sorta
      HAHAHAHA I don't even know if I want to work with you I am going to come up with some pre-printed spreadsheets that just need to be filled in with the data, so that at 5' of head pressure, X number of GPH/GPM is recorded at Y number of Watts (or maybe we should record Amps because that number will be constant, while the source Voltage will fluctuate thus ending up with fluctuating Watts... Watts = Amps TIMES Voltage) So as long as you can read a gauge and use a pen anyone could record the data.
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

me and Jethro can do the number writing

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Please shoot videos if possible. I know I'd watch em heheh.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

To be fair to the manufacture motor name plate info including motor efficiency should be included. Newer pumps typically have higher efficiency motors than older models so if the pump tested has some age to it the flow output might be satisfactory using a lower efficiency motor drawing more watts. The model currently being sold might have a higher efficiency motor.

Line voltage will impact pump performance (flow and watts) and must also be recorded. Often at shows such as this it might be on the low side. Knowing the test voltage allows for some level of estimate adjustment for a consumer at home.

Using a meter such as a Kill A Watt for power the Watt reading should be used and recorded. It is real power and what directly relates to your actual electric bill. VA or multiplying volts X amps is apparent power and slightly different. The Kill A Watt meter will show both.

Last - if the motor has a speed control compare the Kill A Watt readings to the motors speed control readout. Some speed controls show only the motor electric usage and don't show controller losses added in. Controller losses can be as high as 10% for some controllers at some speeds. The Kill A Watt meter will be the correct Watts.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      To be fair to the manufacture motor name plate info including motor efficiency should be included. Newer pumps typically have higher efficiency motors than older models so if the pump tested has some age to it the flow output might be satisfactory using a lower efficiency motor drawing more watts. The model currently being sold might have a higher efficiency motor.

Line voltage will impact pump performance (flow and watts) and must also be recorded. Often at shows such as this it might be on the low side. Knowing the test voltage allows for some level of estimate adjustment for a consumer at home.

Using a meter such as a Kill A Watt for power the Watt reading should be used and recorded. It is real power and what directly relates to your actual electric bill. VA or multiplying volts X amps is apparent power and slightly different. The Kill A Watt meter will show both.

Last - if the motor has a speed control compare the Kill A Watt readings to the motors speed control readout. Some speed controls show only the motor electric usage and don't show controller losses added in. Controller losses can be as high as 10% for some controllers at some speeds. The Kill A Watt meter will be the correct Watts.
      My ff pump shows like 168 watts on the display. The kill a watt shows 140 watts. I feel the 140 is the more accurate number on the kill a watt. In fact one pump I've tested say 4.3 amps on the motor end. But I actually tested like 3.4 amps on the kill a watt.
      Last edited by kevin32; 02-13-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast