• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Weird skin condition on one koi

Ifindau4u is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Weird skin condition on one koi

I have 14 koi that are all from the feeder fish tank at Petco. No fancies. They are 14 years old. The attachment is of one fish that has had skin issues for the last few years. It gets blistery peeling skin in the summer in the same region as the waxy substance seen here. It usually clears up when the weather cools, but this year the wax showed up. None of the other fish are affected, and the fish acts fine. The pond is about 36 degrees, pH of 7.5, 0 ammonia, or nitrates. I am just curious as to what this skin condition might be.

Thank you for any responses I might get.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Most likely carp pox, or other viral condition. Usually not fatal, but can be contagious. Some fish just have immunity from it, so don't show it, but they can be carriers. You wouldn't want to rehome any of your koi to someone else, because it could spread to the other pond.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

If as Nancy has stated, it is viral, there is nothing that can be done. It may go away when the temperatures warm, or it may not. It does look like a raised waxy lesion, which is common with carp pox. If it has been shedding/peeling in the warm weather, I would be interested in how clear the pond is, how deep the pond is, and whether there is any shade over the pond during the long days of summer. I had one fish that did that peeling and it looked like a bad sunburn peeling. I added shade sails to my pond to keep the summer sun levels down to prevent sunburn and the problem disappeared.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Ifindau4u is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the responses. I will not introduce any of these fish to another pond. I did wonder about sunburn. I had a canopy over the pond that provided good shade, but this fish did seem to like to stay in the shallow part of the pond in the sun. Last fall we moved the fish to our new pond that is about 4’ deep rectangular 2000 gallons. Plenty of shade. We will see how the bog filter handles this overstocked pond.