• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Weird Pink spot on my Platinum Orgon's fin. Please help!

jbui2609@gmail.com is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Exclamation Weird Pink spot on my Platinum Ogon’s fin. Please help!

Hi guys, I just noticed there was a weird pink spot on the left pectoral fin of the Gin Rin Platinum Ogon that was delivered to me last Thursday. Is this a normal wound or should I be worried and take it to a vet ? My plan is to use MelaFix and PimaFix for a week. I attached some pictures below. Please let me know. Thank you!

Here are my water test:
      Temp: 65 F
      PH: 6.5
      Ammonia, nitrite, phosphate: 0.25

Regards
      James
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by jbui2609@gmail.com; 01-31-2018 at 10:35 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Looks like a little shipping injury. Let the seller know and keep an eye on it.

Beautiful koi

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Is your pH normally that low...? That is REALLY low. What is your KH?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah I’m not sure why my pH is always around 6.5 ive been using pH up but seems like no result. Aside from that, here are better pictures, looks like the skin around that pink spot already came off. Im using melafix and pimafix together once a day at the moment, let me know if u think of something.
      Name:  8BB7F7A9-7FAC-46BC-8D91-3CA8726F8883.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  44.0 KB
      Name:  A14BAF61-25FA-40ED-A870-8D89011F12BD.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  37.4 KB

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

With regard to the pH, I would really be interested in seeing what your KH level is. The KH is the buffer level to control swings in the pH, and as most of us that have ponds, have water that has been through limestone deposits, thus the KH can be nice and high, the pH will be close to 8.3. There are a few that I know that have water that is basically devoid of any KH buffering capacity and have to add baking soda to get a resonable KH value, and there pH will be about 8.3, again because of the carbon dioxide/bicarboniate/carbonate buffer system. That system is not the only buffer system, but the most common. If the water is not adequately buffered, by a KH of over 80ppm/5 drops or higher with higher being better, pH crashes are a real possibility and will cause death to the filter system and potentially to the fish. Since you have not posted a KH, I assume you have not gotten the kit, and would highly recommend you get it and sooner is better.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for thoroughly explaining to me Rich. I just ordered a kH test kit and a pH stabilizer kit. That must be why I haven't been able to raise my pH. As for my Platinum Orgon, he still acts normal like usual. I hope it is just a small wound that he caused himself. Some youtube video showing the guy gave his koi some pond salt to help them heal. Do you think I should do that? Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zm4AmNjp6U

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Salt is best left for the french fries. Once upon a time salt was pretty good for treating most parasites, but the parasites have become immune to it. It is great for ponds that are running nitrites, as nitrites will move through the gills to make red blood cells into brown blood cells that do not carry oxygen and salt interferes with that uptake of the nitrites. Salt can be used to quiet fish that are stressed from transport, but for most cases, not needed. The pH stabilizer that most of us use is baking soda, and there is a calculator located at the top of the page that will give you some idea of the amount needed, based on the beginning KH and the desired KH. Baking soda can be gotten at the discount clubs, or even in the swimming pool section at Walmart, in season, in 13 pound bags for about the same price as a one or two pound box at the grocery store. It will definitely be cheaper than one bought from a pool or spa source, which is probably just over priced baking soda.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Just wanted to chime in to confirm the importance of KH levels and that baking soda is the cheap, safe and easy way to control it. You don't want to raise your pH quickly and Rich can easily instruct you on the best way to do it once you get your KH kit.

Your low level of ammonia could be b/c your filter is suffering from the low pH.

The ammonia could cause issues of health with your koi. I would keep an eye on the fish to see if the wound gets worse. I would stop adding melafix and pimafix. Melafix is oil that coats the gills and does not assist the fish...pimafix is also not necessary. Get your water balance cleared up and just take it a step at a time!
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      It looks like its healing. Just a bump in shipping, you can see a little scratch or slit

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007