• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tobi Observations

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

kigrl, I already gave enough info that I beleive the koi do chuff to clear out around a pellet....whether it is small koi or reeds they will use that action. But they aren't doing it to save the babies. They are doing it because they are fixated on that pellet.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by lukef View Post
      kigrl, I already gave enough info that I beleive the koi do chuff to clear out around a pellet....whether it is small koi or reeds they will use that action. But they aren't doing it to save the babies. They are doing it because they are fixated on that pellet.
      OK!
      Chuffing to get to pellet.
      btw, it was always harrowing to watch this activity. But as Tony Soprano used to say, "Whatcha gonna do?"
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Koigrl View Post
      ... Did you keep the plat? love to see its size now ....
      Max, I enjoyed that platinum tobi for 5 years before re-homing it. It has a nice stout build for a male, which I think it is. It was only 21", which is average or perhaps a little below for males of that age in my pond. A couple of yellow specks showed up, which I did not really mind. But each year or so, I have to make tough choices to re-home a few, even if I like them. The deciding factor was that its shine is not that good for a platinum.

Thanks for confirming my thinking, that you did not have any freaky big babies in your harvest.

Name:  platinumscaled1 7-2014.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  68.5 KB

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Max, I enjoyed that platinum tobi for 5 years before re-homing it. It has a nice stout build for a male, which I think it is. It was only 21", which is average or perhaps a little below for males of that age in my pond. A couple of yellow specks showed up, which I did not really mind. But each year or so, I have to make tough choices to re-home a few, even if I like them. The deciding factor was that its shine is not that good for a platinum.

Thanks for confirming my thinking, that you did not have any freaky big babies in your harvest.

Name:  platinumscaled1 7-2014.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  68.5 KB
      Matt, i t's good to see a genuine tobi all grown up. I'd probably still have that plat in my learning curve pond. lol. i'm horrible at making the hard choices. horrible! I'm glad you found it a home.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Another tobi learning experience was my 2013 Soragoi / Ochiba Spawn. The fry were just 8 days old when I saw one that was twice as long as the smallest and maybe 10 times the overall size, and it had a tiny sibling sticking out of its mouth. I was really surprised that they could get started that early.

That year I made the mistake of just letting the tobi go for a good while and not separating them from the small ones. The idea had come from the previous year's spawn in 2012 when I wound up having to cull many of the smallest due to deformities. So I figured if they were not growing well, there was a good reason. They must have something wrong with them. So in 2013, I just left the runts to be protein snacks for the tobi. In retrospect, I know that 2012 was kind of an unusual set of events and that good koi can come from those slow growers, and I might have been better off protecting them more.

In 2013, it was not until 8 weeks that I moved 2 soragoi, 4" & 5.5" (works out to about an inch every 10 days), out to the big pond so they would stop eating fry, the majority of which were still 1" - 1.5" with some as small as 0.5". There's no telling how many hundreds those two tobi ate in that 8 weeks. Within a few months, they were 7"-9", nothing special, just decent soragoi, but I was curious how big they might get. Then a great blue heron came along and they disappeared. So much for that. I still wound up with over 900 fry to pick from, but I suspect it could have been a few thousand if I had played that hand a little differently. Live and learn.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12