• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Need Help!

Rablalock is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need Help!

Hello, we recently got a new koi around 4 days ago, and we noticed on her she had a red looking spot on her side, we are not sure what it is. We also noticed she had something of an unhealthy look about her fin and tail fin. Our water parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 1, ph 7.2. Any help on figuring out what this is and how can I treat it will be awesome! Also sorry for the bad pictures i can try and get betters ones if needed.

Thanks!
      Attached Images Attached Images      

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Ideally you should scrape and scope her to look for parasites. I would sedate with clove oil (see above stick 'Koi Health, a Comprehensive Discussion'), debride the wound(s), apply betadine wait a few minutes, dry, then apply neosporin. While sedated look at the state of her gills and describe the status of her slime coat.
      Do 20% water changes daily with addition of a binder like Prime. Make sure the bottom of the pond in clean. Stop feeding for now.
      Why do you have nitrite? What test kits are you using? Also what is your nitrate, KH, and pond temp? Is it indoor or outdoor? How old is the pond? How big is your pond and it's stocking level including size /age of fish? What kind of filtration (bio and mechanical) do you have? And what is your maintenance routine; water testing, filter cleaning, water changes etc. The more pictures you can provide the better.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Good advice Koirun

The nitrite is getting too high. From the ER sticky.

Nitrite: A small amount of nitrite is not dangerous, but as a filter system cycles it may become intolerable to the koi. At high nitrite levels (more than 1.5) they will develop "brown blood disease" as they will "absorb it" rather than the oxygen they need so nitrite needs to be monitored closely. I have found Pond Prime binds Nitrite and helps to "detoxify" high levels of nitrite while the filter matures and is able to digest these levels. When using Pond Prime make sure to increase aeration to much higher than might be considered normal. Salt may also be used to prevent nitrite poisoning. A rate of .15 to .3% works well.

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Also if you didn't qt this fish and just added, I'd be getting some supplies. Proform C, Fluke M or a similar fluke medicine and some type of antibiotic like Tricide Neo. Adding fish to fish is a problem. Yours have bacteria and parasite load they can handle and then you add a new fish and the bugs/bacteria mix.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello, thanks for the reply, the pond is around 2000 gallons and its an outdoor pond. Its currently houses 5 koi an ages range from 1-2 year old koi. It has both bio and mechanical filtration. The pond its self is around 6 month old and has had no issues with any other fish, Also one thing i didn't make clear is the water parameter above are our QT system and our main pond parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, PH 7.5 (Sorry for that mistake). For my daily routine on our QT system (Located inside our garage) is 20% day water changes and 2 times daily water parameter test one in the morning and evening. For water conditioner we use Aqueon Tap Water Conditioner.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

As Koirun said, I would get a KH kit, because that is actually one of the most vital parameters of the pond as it has to do with maintenance of the bio filter ration system and it also relates to pH stability. A pH of 7.2 is indicative of a locate H, and you could have issues with fish health if the pH goes below that number to the acid side. Once you get the nitrite issue under control I highly recommend you start a new post on KH, but meanwhile get that KH kit – – you can buy it separately on Amazon, or from a local fish store.

As Cindy said, you can get a product called Prime by Seachem; it also comes in a more stable form that is powdered, called SAFE. Both are available on Amazon, but you do have to redose every 48 hours in order to control ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chloramine, chlorine, and some heavy metals. I usually buy the 4 kg size for $100, and it lasts me over a year, but I use it for not only my 2000 gallon pond, but also for my aquariums in the house. Because it is stable and it's powdered form, it can last indefinitely as long as it doesn't get wet. One of the nice things about it, is not only does it cover all those parameters, but it works instantly. It's always great to have on hand for when a parameter goes out of whack.

You can also control nitrite by adding a small amount of salt, 0.1% – – but you need a salt meter to measure the amount added accurately. You can't just dump some in the pond according to some formula and expect it to get to the 0.1% with accuracy because there are other ions in the pond that can contribute to it.

Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604...=Seachem+prime

SAFE: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...3ASeachem+safe

I hope this helps, and welcome to Koiphen. I hope you stay around after your issue is resolved. You've come to the right place for help, everyone on this board, especially the health care committee are very committed to helping you out with your fish issues, plus we have other areas of interest to the koi hobbyist. It's one of the best forums for koi on the web

--Nancy

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

What I am seeing in the picture is a fungus on the fins, best treated with something like Proform C (a formalin/malachite green treatment), and the wound near the head appears to be a bacterial infection/ulcer in the beginning stages. Good QT water may be sufficient to heal the infection, but I would get some Tricide Neo on hand just in case. For the Tricide Neo, I prefer to mix and spray, instead of submerge the fish in solution, as it does the same thing using significantly less of the expensive product. I mix it by the quart, using 1/4 of the 1 gallon packet and when it is used up, mix a second. Treatment for the infection can be a wait and see if it improves, or go ahead and treat, your choice. Proform C is a widely used parasite treatment that will treat for all parasites except flukes, and the visible anchor worm and fish louse.

Because of the nitrites, I would add salt at the rate of 1 pound for every 100 gallons of water, (0.12%) and when water changes are done, add back water that is similarly salted.

I would recommend testing for KH, as it will tell you the stability of the pH, and with the pH values you list, I would guess your KH is low. The bio filters in the process of converting ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates, generate a lot of acid, consuming the KH which can result in a pH crash.

As you move through this, keep us posted on how things are going, and ask questions about any of the areas that have been covered. Keeping healthy koi is more about keeping healthy water than fish.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the reply, just test the KH and it turned out to be 7. Going tomorrow to get some sort of Proform C and still doing daily 20% water changes. Also i order some Tricide-Neo packs.
      Last edited by Rablalock; 01-28-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot some info

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would raise the KH a bit to 8-10 to be safe. You can do that by adding a half cup baking soda every 24 hours until you get the higher reading. Do you want to get solar salt by Morton, at Lowe's, because I don't think Home Depot carries it anymore. It has to be pure salt, nothing with additives like why am asked for anti-caking agent's. Do you also do not want to use Morton table salt. The solar salt, I believe is in a blue bag, and it is in the water softening aisle. Just make sure it says pure sodium chloride.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

For the Tricide Neo, I like to mix 1/4 of a packet with a quart of distilled water, put it in a spray bottle. Then, if the fish is small enough to handle without sedation, spray the fish for the designated treatment time, rinse and return to the pond. If it is larger, or too active to hold without sedation, I use clove oil to sedate. Directions in https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ive-Discussion The effect is the same as mixing the larger amount and having the fish swim in it for the designated time, but the mix in the spray bottle is not contaminated, the spray bottle is easily stored in the refrigerator, and the thin application of a spray doesn't require the solution be brought up to pond temperature before treatment.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello, just a quick update. The fish shows no signs of any fungus currently on the fins and i have been treating it with Microbe-Lift Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment. As for the wound near the head its looks to be almost healed, id say around 90%! I will post some photos soon. Thanks!

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Great

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Good news.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007