• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Lotus in South Florida

CraigP is online now Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Lotus in South Florida

Based on my experience in South Florida and discussions with Perry Slocum....most lotus suffer from the warm south Florida winters. Nelumbo, for the most part. metabolically are driven by day length and not temperature . Point is....come the shorter days, the tuber does form the starchy endosperm to get the tuber thru winter....but the sun's early arrival in the Florida's late winter stimulates the tubers to sprout, while late winter cold fronts, can extend the sprouting period, so the lotus expends the starch in the tuber before it begins full photosynthesis. Bottom line....the tuber doesn't get sufficient " rest " period in the winter to have food stores to sprout in the spring.

There are tropical lotus....Nelumbo 'Bali Hai', for instance, that survive the South Florida winter. If you are near Miami, I may be able to help. I knew Dr. Larry Schokman, who was instrumental in bringing this lotus from the island of Bali.
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I only recently realized that there was such a thing as a tropical lotus.

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, mine do very well after a long slumber in the cold.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Based on my experience in South Florida and discussions with Perry Slocum....most lotus suffer from the warm south Florida winters. Nelumbo, for the most part. metabolically are driven by day length and not temperature . Point is....come the shorter days, the tuber does form the starchy endosperm to get the tuber thru winter....but the sun's early arrival in the Florida's late winter stimulates the tubers to sprout, while late winter cold fronts, can extend the sprouting period, so the lotus expends the starch in the tuber before it begins full photosynthesis. Bottom line....the tuber doesn't get sufficient " rest " period in the winter to have food stores to sprout in the spring.

There are tropical lotus....Nelumbo 'Bali Hai', for instance, that survive the South Florida winter. If you are near Miami, I may be able to help. I knew Dr. Larry Schokman, who was instrumental in bringing this lotus from the island of Bali.
      Craig,
      Do you go to the CFKS in Orlando. I would love to buy some of those tropical tubers!
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

CraigP is online now Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Sorry Sir, I do not attend the festivities in Orlando. More importantly, I retired from the aquatic plant industry and donated my lotus collection to various public gardens. Oh.....and I confused the name of the lotus with a cheap, pop wine of my youth...the lotus is Bali Red. If you like, I can get you the email address of a friend in the Miami area that grows them. His stock came directly from the Dr. Larry Schokman, who was part of the team that discovered the plant on Bali. Sadly, Dr. Schokman died during the clean-up at the gardens of the Kampong NTGB in Coconut Grove, following the ravages of Hurricane Irma,
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig