• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: 7" Hi Showa

KOIAndrew is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

7" Hi Showa

I think this is a female, checked its uh, parts.... and their different looking from my other fish that i know are males. Forgot to measure it but im guessing 6-8"
      I want to breed this (if its a girl) in the coming years. If you may, please bring out the positives and negatives (if any of each) of this koi so I know what to look for in the male. I believe this is a year old, at max year and a half.

Im hoping the shimi clears up some, or at least is less noticeable, as the sumi fills in. Im guessing it will have a sumi stripe across the head?

If this is a mutt I still want to breed it as I want my first few breedings to just being learning expierences of how they develop. Ive already learned a lot from my first spawn. I got pictures close up of the beni/coming in sumi for more detail for better judging.

Name:  showa1.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  47.8 KBName:  showa2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  51.8 KBName:  showa3.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  51.3 KBName:  showa4.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  44.0 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Heres a link back in April 2017 https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ight=ki+utsuri

I noticed it had a lot more sumi back in april, My guess is its because its growing and stretching it out and will probably fill back in when its growth slows down?

Jim Smith is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's a 7in year and a half years old? Not a lot of good qualities at all to be used as a breeder. Growing and stretching out are not a issue it's just failing Beni, sumi etc. that you see,

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

This one is a long ways from being mature enough to be a decent female oyagoi. There really aren't any shimi that I can see, it's is immature sumi that hasn't risen yet. There also appears to be a bit of "staining" of underlying sumi in a few areas under the beni which I think is giving the beni an "off" look to the areas without it. The areas without it seem bright and even. As you are new to all this and still young enough, I think by your 21st B-Day she'll be ready if she holds up well color wise. I've seen quite a few oyagoi that, based on their breeding record, you wouldn't give two cents for. The stress from breeding has done the colors in and in some cases, you wouldn't believe they are the varieties that the breeders tell you they are. The only way you'll know for sure is to get a couple decent males that would be at least 3 yrs old when she's 5 and have a go at it. Then you can come back and post pics of what you ended up with.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      This one is a long ways from being mature enough to be a decent female oyagoi. There really aren't any shimi that I can see, it's is immature sumi that hasn't risen yet. There also appears to be a bit of "staining" of underlying sumi in a few areas under the beni which I think is giving the beni an "off" look to the areas without it. The areas without it seem bright and even. As you are new to all this and still young enough, I think by your 21st B-Day she'll be ready if she holds up well color wise. I've seen quite a few oyagoi that, based on their breeding record, you wouldn't give two cents for. The stress from breeding has done the colors in and in some cases, you wouldn't believe they are the varieties that the breeders tell you they are. The only way you'll know for sure is to get a couple decent males that would be at least 3 yrs old when she's 5 and have a go at it. Then you can come back and post pics of what you ended up with.
      Questions, what are the de benefits of breeding koi small/younger koi? Mortality rates? quality? or?

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Usually they don't throw off much offspring and many times they are deformed and weak if the eggs are even viable to start with. Females usually need to be AT LEAST 3 yrs old but 5yr olds will produce better/stronger roe.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_3972.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  37.5 KBName:  IMG_3974.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  48.1 KBName:  IMG_3975.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  50.8 KB

Beni seems to be staying somewhat stable, black is thickening out in places. Appears to be slightly eggy (or fat)

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

wheeeew!
      I think you need to "wait and see" on that one...more waiting than seeing.
      The positives on that fish are that it is an identifiable variety, and it is not visibly sick.
      I think I saw koi like you do about 20 years ago...i could find beauty in every one of them. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not in the object being admired. So keep that fish, enjoy it, but do not consider it for anything else right now.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007