• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Need Advice

Cessnatpa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Down

Need Advice

I've had a pond since 2006 and luckily have never had any major issues until now. I added 4 new Koi to my pond about 2 weeks ago and now I had one of my older koi die and several others are at the bottom fins drawn in, classic signs something is wrong. Water tests are fine, I've scraped and scoped the koi that died and not finding anything. I have a 13k gallon pond with about 25 koi. I know i'm rambling here but I'm in a bit of a panic what to do. I have PP and debating if I should just dose the whole pond. I feel I need to do something but don't want to make things worse. Any suggestions?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Without a scrape and scope of one of the living fish, not much to go on, but PP will take care of most parasites and you have it available. I would suspect the incoming fish brought in something like costia, which will kill quickly, so go for the PP for starters. Follow with Prazi as soon as you can get it in case the problem is flukes, which PP is not as good at taking care of.

For the PP, for most established ponds, there is enough organics in the pond to consume a large amount of PP, so start with 4ppm, adding slowly with lots of aeration. If it doesn't keep a purple color on the first try, then wait a day and do it again. The dose for the second day needs to be determined by the amount of time the color stayed purple. If only 1/2 hour or less, do the 4ppm again, if 1/2 hour to 1 hour, go with 3ppm, and if over 1 hour, then just 2ppm. If the color stays for at least 4 hours, but better 6 or 8 hours, then do not redose.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Without a scrape and scope of one of the living fish, not much to go on, but PP will take care of most parasites and you have it available. I would suspect the incoming fish brought in something like costia, which will kill quickly, so go for the PP for starters. Follow with Prazi as soon as you can get it in case the problem is flukes, which PP is not as good at taking care of.

For the PP, for most established ponds, there is enough organics in the pond to consume a large amount of PP, so start with 4ppm, adding slowly with lots of aeration. If it doesn't keep a purple color on the first try, then wait a day and do it again. The dose for the second day needs to be determined by the amount of time the color stayed purple. If only 1/2 hour or less, do the 4ppm again, if 1/2 hour to 1 hour, go with 3ppm, and if over 1 hour, then just 2ppm. If the color stays for at least 4 hours, but better 6 or 8 hours, then do not redose.
      The Koi was still alive and I used clove oil to put him under then scraped, I scaped him 3 times without finding anything. I will do the PP now. What's bad I have to work this weekend 12 hrs shifts and can't take off. Hope this helps, I know they are only koi but this is very upsetting, I have two on their sides now.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Good luck. Hope this knocks it out quickly.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Down

I added 1 teaspoon per 1000 gallons and had .5 PPM, added another dose and have 1.0 PPM. Would you recommend dosing again, I'm afraid it's stressing them out. How long should I wait to put in the hydrogen peroxide? I've used PP many times to clean up the pond but never with sick fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sorry to flake out on you last night. The recommended dose is 2PPM maintained for 4 to 6 hours, so you could have gone for more. The PP burns off with time so unless you have test strips or equipment to measure the quantity, subsequent doses should be done daily until you are able to maintain purple color for that time frame. I don't like to use the peroxide until I am sure that I want it ended. Once the peroxide is added, it can take 3 or 4 days to get all of the peroxide out of the system, making it impossible to do another PP treatment for a few days.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Down

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Sorry to flake out on you last night. The recommended dose is 2PPM maintained for 4 to 6 hours, so you could have gone for more. The PP burns off with time so unless you have test strips or equipment to measure the quantity, subsequent doses should be done daily until you are able to maintain purple color for that time frame. I don't like to use the peroxide until I am sure that I want it ended. Once the peroxide is added, it can take 3 or 4 days to get all of the peroxide out of the system, making it impossible to do another PP treatment for a few days.
      Thanks for the input. I ended up doing 3 doses of PP getting 1.5 - 2 PPM (I have test strips) for only 2.5 hrs and added HP to neutralize it.
      Ponds 13k gallons and I've done a 30% water change.
      Majority of the koi appear to be doing better but have a few sitting at the bottom and some even looking dead until I go to net them.

My game plan is to do another 2 PPM PP treatment Monday morning for 4-6 hrs. I've read salt might be a good thing to add, does salt affect PP? Should I use salt? If so at what level?

I know I'm not out of the woods yet but feel the PP is helping and was encouraging to see most swimming last night.
      All input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ademink is offline Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Staring at the frozen
      pond..camera broken.

Feeling:
      ----

I will let Rich continue to advise you on PP, I've never used it. I wouldn't add salt at this time, in the event you need to use a different medication that is best not used w/ salt. Keep your aeration cranked and keep watching your water parameters in case your filter is set back.
      Andrea

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Salt was once a good treatment, but due to over use, the parasites have supposedly become immune to it, unless you use upward of 0.6% (5# per 100 gallon). I like salt for defined ich infestations as it is constantly there to kill the young as they leave the cysts and become free swimming, which is the only time that you can kill them. I would just stick with the PP for now. Glad to see that you have the test strips, since color is such a poor indicator of concentration. Maintain, as best you can, the 2PPM for the 4 to 6 hours minimum.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Down

I must of added too much hydrogen peroxide Friday night since I've just added 2 does of PP and it's being ate up. Should i just keep adding PP until I get 2 PPM or am I wasting PP and time only gets rid of HP?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Time may be better at eating the HP than the PP, but if you keep adding PP, then the HP will be consumed and the PP will start to stick around. There was something that I read that said that HP would kill PP for up to 3 days, but I think it has more to do with the amount of unreacted HP on day one and the organics available for it to continue to remove.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard