• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice

Cessnatpa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

The koi that I thought was recovering has died this morning Can I freeze the koi to preserve it for lab testing?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I believe so. This page has a link to the U of GA submission form with contact information, http://www.koihealth.org/index.html, and I think I would give them a call and see.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

A few days ago MY FAVORITE koi started with the symptoms, I was finally able to get the local lab to look at my koi today. They called and it has costia and they are doing further tests which I'm still waiting to hear back. As of now they are not recommending using PP which I have on hand. Hopefully I'll know something soon.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Lab Results

Quote Originally Posted by Cessnatpa View Post
      A few days ago MY FAVORITE koi started with the symptoms, I was finally able to get the local lab to look at my koi today. They called and it has costia and they are doing further tests which I'm still waiting to hear back. As of now they are not recommending using PP which I have on hand. Hopefully I'll know something soon.
      The following is a email from the Lab Vet.

The necropsy today was interesting. This particular koi (besides the load of costia on the outside) was also very abnormal inside. The ovaries were very hemorrhagic and had a lot of congestion. There was a good amount of fluid in the body cavity which is also highly abnormal. She had kidney enlargement and a large stone in her gallbladder (This stone could have been secondary to not eating very much for a long time). She was very thin and I suspect she was sick for months but didn’t show many clinical signs until very late. None of this is typical with fish infected with costia, so I suspect there may be something underlying going on. Based on these findings, I highly encourage viral testing and histopathology however these can be quite expensive. I am ok with treating for costia and seeing how the system responds, however just keep in mind that we may need to do further testing later on. We are also waiting to see if cultures come back positive for bacteria. If they are, it’s your choice if you wish to run them (I think those are about $30 per each bacteria). We will know about those on Monday. The lab has not given me the results of your water test yet, so unfortunately we will have to wait for that before initiating treatment (we are leaning toward copper which is cheap but we need to know your water parameters first)

Copper would be ideal but we need to know your alkalinity first (this is very important and could kill fish if we are not careful). Your other option is permanent saltwater dip at 4-5 PPT ( I would have to calculate how many pounds that would equal out to- it will be a lot) but that may be really expensive in a 13k gallon pond. Either way, if you have live plants- any of these treatments will likely kill them. Formalin is also another option but may be expensive as well in that size pond.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Cessnatpa View Post
      The following is a email from the Lab Vet.

The necropsy today was interesting. This particular koi (besides the load of costia on the outside) was also very abnormal inside. The ovaries were very hemorrhagic and had a lot of congestion. There was a good amount of fluid in the body cavity which is also highly abnormal. She had kidney enlargement and a large stone in her gallbladder (This stone could have been secondary to not eating very much for a long time). She was very thin and I suspect she was sick for months but didn’t show many clinical signs until very late. None of this is typical with fish infected with costia, so I suspect there may be something underlying going on. Based on these findings, I highly encourage viral testing and histopathology however these can be quite expensive. I am ok with treating for costia and seeing how the system responds, however just keep in mind that we may need to do further testing later on. We are also waiting to see if cultures come back positive for bacteria. If they are, it’s your choice if you wish to run them (I think those are about $30 per each bacteria). We will know about those on Monday. The lab has not given me the results of your water test yet, so unfortunately we will have to wait for that before initiating treatment (we are leaning toward copper which is cheap but we need to know your water parameters first)

Copper would be ideal but we need to know your alkalinity first (this is very important and could kill fish if we are not careful). Your other option is permanent saltwater dip at 4-5 PPT ( I would have to calculate how many pounds that would equal out to- it will be a lot) but that may be really expensive in a 13k gallon pond. Either way, if you have live plants- any of these treatments will likely kill them. Formalin is also another option but may be expensive as well in that size pond.
      I would go for the testing for KHV. These tests do not look like bacterial, to my mind. Treating for costia at high salt (0.6%, 6ppt) would be good for, copper would be troublesome, and Proform-C would be expensive. If KHV, then treating for costia would just be a waste.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

NN-Tampa is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cessnatpa,

I'm sorry for your lost. Do you mind to share the contact information from the University? I would like to contact them for water testing and possible with koi issue in the future.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by NN-Tampa View Post
      Cessnatpa,

I'm sorry for your lost. Do you mind to share the contact information from the University? I would like to contact them for water testing and possible with koi issue in the future.
      The lab will not deal with you directly and need to go through a vet. http://tal.ifas.ufl.edu/

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

It would be around $180 for the Proform or Terminate (essentially the same - different makers). You would need 3 gallons. Just FYI, in case you go that route.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      It would be around $180 for the Proform or Terminate (essentially the same - different makers). You would need 3 gallons. Just FYI, in case you go that route.
      I placed a order for 1 gallon of Eco Labs BSDTGAL Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment, it says it treats 38400 gallons and three doses are needed.
      Do I need more?

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Nope - that should do it!
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007