• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New Year Color

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

New Year Color

Winter is en route, but until the 30's/40's arrive later this week, there were some blooms, the most surprising is the Amorphophallus bulbifer. Coldest weather in a few years now, but still has us in z10a temperatures and follows the warmest December on record....so still, no more than a blip in the continually warming climate.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

very nice as always Craig

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

A sight for sore eyes!!! Pretty blooms. I so miss my plants. In my garage, I have a red blooming canna lily, some begonias, geraniums and Impatiens. Only because I sit them outside on warm days and move back into the garage on cold days.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Winter is en route, but until the 30's/40's arrive later this week, there were some blooms, the most surprising is the Amorphophallus bulbifer. Coldest weather in a few years now, but still has us in z10a temperatures and follows the warmest December on record....so still, no more than a blip in the continually warming climate.
      Very Nice Craig. Same here except further North than you. This uncanny cold weather has us scrambling here. The coldest it has been in the last 8 years with no relief in sight. We are going to have to have some of our best covered in an effort to save them from the extreme cold.

The local weather expert predicts that this is just the beginning

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      Very Nice Craig. Same here except further North than you. This uncanny cold weather has us scrambling here. The coldest it has been in the last 8 years with no relief in sight. We are going to have to have some of our best covered in an effort to save them from the extreme cold.

The local weather expert predicts that this is just the beginning
      Maybe it is time to snuggle up and watch a good movie. How about "Day after Tomorrow"

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Maybe it is time to snuggle up and watch a good movie. How about "Day after Tomorrow"
      lol

Feeling:
      Amused

Now that I have retired from the aquatics there is sooo much less scrambling. I have the two covered shade houses for my private plant collection and the ginger/turmeric are essentially dormant until March/April.....notice I did not say they are dead, huge difference between a plant being dead and dormant. < g >

If there is one plant I am concerned about, it is my black pepper vine ( Piper nigrum ). I have babied it for two years now and it has climbed nearly 12 feet up the tree. I got a ladder out and wrapped the tree/vine in frost cloth, hoping to save it from this uncomfortable, but non-earth changing dip in the jest stream. The warm returns next week and the forecast is still for a warmer than normal winter. < g >
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Now that I have retired from the aquatics there is sooo much less scrambling. I have the two covered shade houses for my private plant collection and the ginger/turmeric are essentially dormant until March/April.....notice I did not say they are dead, huge difference between a plant being dead and dormant. < g >

If there is one plant I am concerned about, it is my black pepper vine ( Piper nigrum ). I have babied it for two years now and it has climbed nearly 12 feet up the tree. I got a ladder out and wrapped the tree/vine in frost cloth, hoping to save it from this uncomfortable, but non-earth changing dip in the jest stream. The warm returns next week and the forecast is still for a warmer than normal winter. < g >
      Well done Craig! You have done all you can do and hopefully have saved it from this particular Jest stream dip. Let us know how it fares. thx

Feeling:
      Amused

The worst is over and the jet stream is going zonal and everything seems to have survived.....the pepper for sure did. Surprisingly, a couple volunteer seedlings managed to bloom and I harvested so red, white and yellow turmeric for tomorrows market. Turmeric is a gorgeous plant.....resembles a banana, but reaches full size of maybe 6' in a pot, loves moist soil and shade, lovely flowers and edible roots. I can't understand why more people don't grow it.

Craig

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The worst is over and the jet stream is going zonal and everything seems to have survived.....the pepper for sure did. Surprisingly, a couple volunteer seedlings managed to bloom and I harvested so red, white and yellow turmeric for tomorrows market. Turmeric is a gorgeous plant.....resembles a banana, but reaches full size of maybe 6' in a pot, loves moist soil and shade, lovely flowers and edible roots. I can't understand why more people don't grow it.
      Love the very first photo. Too lazy to figure out the exact name of that stinker. Can you help out? Great to see a few lily blooms. As usual i am very excited about the coming season. Lots of new seedlings to grow out. I am really into Ginger and Turmeric now, they have been helping with some issues i have had. They are miracle herbs!! By the way, i have a friend that needs a liitle help with Vic seed. He is following Victoria adventure website instructions but not having much luck. I sent an email to you with details about it. Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by Wiscdude; 01-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

That pink lily in the last pic is nice it seems too have a blue tinge too it but might be my computer
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007