• Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nitrates and koi health

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      If the amount of nutrient being produced per time period is 1% and the water change is with water that has 0% but at the 10% rate for the same time frame, the steady state value will be accomplished when the 10% removal equals 1%, or the amount being produced. That occurs when the level becomes 10%, remove 10% of that gives 9% and then the production of 1% brings the value back to 10%. How long it takes to get there is dependent on where you start, as if you start with 100% then the first 10% removal will be 10% leaving 90% but add 1 % and then do a 10% and remove 9.1%, but you are now down to 81.8% and the closer you get to the 10% the slower the change.
      happy New Year. i have no clue what any of that means lol

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I have heard of this many times. Can you explain ?
      My background is engineering and computer science so there will be no aquatic biology in depth explanation. This is how its been explained to me by commercial interests.

For the hobbyist level on the aquarium and ornamental pond side you will not get a consensus. For commercial production its a consensus sudden temperature and water chemistry changes equates into a stressful environment for the whole system. Stressors may lead to poor fish health and should be avoided if possible.

If an emergency situation arises, yes you will see massive water changes. Otherwise water exchange adjustments are small, incremental and monitored by continuous testing.
      Last edited by BWG; 01-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      My background is engineering and computer science so there will be no marine biology in depth explanation. This is how its been explained to me by commercial interests.

For the hobbyist level on the aquarium and ornamental pond level you will not get a consensus. For commercial production its a consensus sudden temperature and water chemistry changes equates into a stressful environment for the whole system. Stressors may lead to poor fish health and should be avoided if possible.

If an emergency situation arises, yes you will see massive water changes. Otherwise water exchange adjustments are small, incremental and monitored by continuous testing.
      I do not see how fresh water is a stressor. I understand that if water parameters/temps are pushed than it could be a stressor. I have done my share of 98% water changes and the only affect I was able to achieve. Is the koi were more active getting into things plants etc and ate like pigs.

I believe there are a lot more variables than what well ever be discussed on KP of large water changes and all the different ponds and water qualities out there. And situations that can arise.

I believe it should be for ponders. Large water changes can,might,could create issues, not, they well. But really don't know. And I could be wrong.l

I have noticed over the years on KP how some things that (might, could, can) have moved into the category of will.

I might as well add to this thread since I am here about my understanding about nitrates.

Nitrates can affect skin quality, create veining and even damage to veins, lower reproduction rate, stunted koi, less appetite, slow healing,lethargy, kill young koi, compromises immune system that can leads to bacterial,viral, parasite infection.

I,m sure there is more but all I got. And I could be wrong.

The condition of each thing I mentioned depend on different variables of duration, levels of nitrates and other pond conditions. And this is were it gets tricky and information is hard to come by. As research is limited in this regard.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Personally for me it's just easier to plan for a weekly water exchange of XX and add that amount at a slow rate continously through the week. Dump setting chambers on a regular basis and let any excess go out the overflow.

No temperature or water chemistry swings.

It's just less work and safer for me. (Yes I have forgotten before and drained too much water out or left filling for a long time but luckily we are on well water)

Essex Koi is offline Senior Member
      is getting cold...

Feeling:
      Happy

In the past 12 months I’ve done a 3,000 gallon change twice on a 4,000 gallon pond with no issues, same as kdh, the Koi were eating voraciously after the changes. Currently I’m doing 2 x 500 gallon changes + 3 x 250 gallon changes every seven days, adding dechlorinator of course, so that’s 5 days per week of fresh water going in.

Nitrate levels are usually below 20ppm and the fish are growing really well in the heated pond at 68f currently.
      Main pond 4000 US Gallon, 22 Koi. Oase Proficlear Premium + Bio Module, Bitron 120 w UVC, Bakki Shower, Dura 7+ ashp. Grow on tank 600 Gallons with Eazypod Automatic and 70 litre K1 biochamber.

Cobra65kr is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Newbie question....I had just released the 17 KOI i had managed to keep alive out in thier respective ponds(2). Now that the midwest temps are predicted to be above the 40's. My worry is one of the 13 I had put in the larger pond, is acting like it wants to swim a bit then rest and ocassionally it flashes then releases bubbles.it aalso looks a bit plump and as if it could be pregnant. Ive had litters after the re-release before and never did anythig special and had a litter of 12 survive without issue. My quuestion here is after i put rope lengths in for laying assistance, is there a vitamin I can add to help with the process? I will keep monitoring and try to separate them after their arrival this time. Before i didnt even know they were expecting. I've attached a few photos of my basement winter home and water changes with one of the larger outside ponds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra65kr View Post
      Newbie question....I had just released the 17 KOI i had managed to keep alive out in thier respective ponds(2). Now that the midwest temps are predicted to be above the 40's. My worry is one of the 13 I had put in the larger pond, is acting like it wants to swim a bit then rest and ocassionally it flashes then releases bubbles.it aalso looks a bit plump and as if it could be pregnant. Ive had litters after the re-release before and never did anythig special and had a litter of 12 survive without issue. My quuestion here is after i put rope lengths in for laying assistance, is there a vitamin I can add to help with the process? I will keep monitoring and try to separate them after their arrival this time. Before i didnt even know they were expecting. I've attached a few photos of my basement winter home and water changes with one of the larger outside ponds.

You might want to ask on the health and er section. I'm not really sure the problem.

Cobra65kr is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      You might want to ask on the health and er section. I'm not really sure the problem.
      Thanks I will, 24 hours later, i dont see the same activity but I'll keep monitoring. Thanks for the advice on where to inquire more accurately.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra65kr View Post
      Thanks I will, 24 hours later, i dont see the same activity but I'll keep monitoring. Thanks for the advice on where to inquire more accurately.

Your welcome. Sometimes changes can stress them out and make them flash irritated

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123