• Tired
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kodama has KHV

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by velvetbone View Post
      Absolutely agreed. Difficult at best for the hobbiest to cycle temps up and down properly to POSSIBLY trigger a KHV response. However, unfortunately, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people or at the very least get them thinking about proper "Quarantine Protocol" !

bet eveI ryone would be surprised at the low percentage of people who actually have a QT/isolation tank...... or even know/follow suggested qt procedures.......
      Just trying to get people thinking about investing a couple of $$ on a qt set up before another koi.....

V
      I would imagine 5% have quarantine tanks.

I would imagine the odds of you getting khv are 10,000 to 1.

I would imagine that there are people that worry about the bubonic plague.

I would imagine people worry about getting TB from a koi and told to wear gloves.

I would imagine people worry about getting eboli and America was doomed when it raised it's head in the US.

I would imagine it would be a better world if we did not worry about such trivial things. But that is not the nature of many.

We should all have a drink at the old koi pond and relax. And stop worrying about so much stuff in our lives. Isn't that what a koi pond is all about?
      Last edited by kdh; 01-09-2018 at 10:10 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'll disagree slightly. Once scenario is playing Russian roulette and the other is knowing there was a bullet in the chamber. I have purchased koi from a dealer known to have an outbreak. I did QT, but not to the stringency required to rule out KHV. Likely I received my koi in advance of their issues. Had I received a shipment recently, and they mentioned some customers that took delivery in December were notified and might be affected, I could be in a different position.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      I would imagine it would be a better world if we did not worry about such trivial things. But that is not the nature of many.

We should all have a drink at the old koi pond and relax. And stop worrying about so much stuff in our lives. Isn't that what a koi pond is all about?
      A year or two ago a dealer at the Orlando show failed to QT before a show. People bought and put them in tanks, ponds, or qt with other fish and lost a lot. It may be trivial in your mindset, but to those people I am pretty sure it was a big deal.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      A year or two ago a dealer at the Orlando show failed to QT before a show. People bought and put them in tanks, ponds, or qt with other fish and lost a lot. It may be trivial in your mindset, but to those people I am pretty sure it was a big deal.
      It always comes down to the dealer with issues of KHV and the dispersal of the issue has to be done there.

I well continue to patiently wait for the posting of.

Thank god I fallowed the QT procedures for KHV. As the tank that I bought my koi from that day infected many other ponders that purchased at the same time.

Cars have come a long way with safety features that add a lot of cost to protect you. THey have come a long way in this regard. However tens of thousands die each year. Those tens of thousands that have died families, do not see it as trivial and our society takes it seriously. However tens of thousands die each year. The over reacting conclusion is stay off the roads to live. I m going to throw the QT KHV in this way of thinking. Over reacting.
      Last edited by kdh; 01-09-2018 at 11:43 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
      I'll disagree slightly. Once scenario is playing Russian roulette and the other is knowing there was a bullet in the chamber. I have purchased koi from a dealer known to have an outbreak. I did QT, but not to the stringency required to rule out KHV. Likely I received my koi in advance of their issues. Had I received a shipment recently, and they mentioned some customers that took delivery in December were notified and might be affected, I could be in a different position.
      Russian roulette is a bullet in the chamber?

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by velvetbone View Post
      I bet everyone would be surprised at the low percentage of people who actually have a QT/isolation tank...... or even know/follow suggested qt procedures.......
      Just trying to get people thinking about investing a couple of $$ on a qt set up before another koi.....

V
      Not surprising to me.

Many hobbyist do not want to invest in a proper filtration system... because it looks bad or they do not want to give up the space needed.

Most Koi hobbyist are not going to invest (or have the space for) a proper quarantine pond.

It is more practical, for most Koi hobbyist, to have a trusted Koi dealer take the responsibility of proper quarantine procedures (including KHV testing).
      Last edited by ricshaw; 01-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I well continue to patiently wait for the posting of.

Thank god I fallowed the QT procedures for KHV. As the tank that I bought my koi from that day infected many other ponders that purchased at the same time.
      Actually, this exact senario happened 2 years ago. I'll not mention the show or dealer so don't ask. It was not Orlando. KHV was confirmed in more than one customer who bought from this dealer.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

montwila is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy

Feeling:
      Tired

Too bad.

Yes, hats off to Kodama.

Yes, there was another "recent" incident and it was not Orlando.

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Not Orlando show.

Quite a number of years ago there was a question whether an outbreak in the Orlando area was traceable to fish sold at the show, but it was not confirmed and others who acquired from the dealer in question at that time had no issues. There is a tendency for outbreaks in central Florida to occur in the March- May time frame when water temperatures are solidly in the permissive range, so somebody who just bought a new koi at the March show naturally suspect that fish and not ones acquired the prior Fall... or even a year or two before. Tracing the source can be very challenging.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
      Actually, this exact senario happened 2 years ago. I'll not mention the show or dealer so don't ask. It was not Orlando. KHV was confirmed in more than one customer who bought from this dealer.
      I do not see how this ties into my posting you attached. What part is exact? Are you saying the people fallowed KHVQT procedures and all was well?

If you all think KHV is an issue. So be it. A problem at a koi show one year and another a few years back and another several years back does not mean a problem with khv. Isolated cases. And god only knows how many koi shows.

There are thousands of koi ponds all over the USA. Most have never heard of KHV or KP. They enjoy there koi and life goes on. So they have one less worry.

Preaching on KP to fallow KHVQT protocol is ridiculous. How many KP people fallow KHVQT protocol religiously when you purchase koi from respected koi dealers on KP or other dealers?
      Just curious. And would imagine in the over all big picture of the hobby, less than 1%.

I never did when I had a pond. I guess I was playing russian roulette or maybe just a miracle I did not get it. lol

So I am done here. Just a reminder. Please, everyone drive safely and pay attention when driving. All that is required is to pay attention. You don't have to spend money or time to QT for KHV or build a QT system as people tell you to do for KHV. Just simply pay attention. So do you think there well be 0 deaths now with auto accidents or the usual tens of thousands with my posting.

Do you really think things well change addressing KHV by saying please QT for KHV?

Oh and don't forget to were gloves. You might get TB from your koi. LOL

According the " Centers of Disease Control" there are about 7 cases of bubonic reported each year. Please everyone wear your masks. You never know!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ClaytonMorris is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good to see they seem to be addressing it properly

shad is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      All of their fish come in to their main farm in Hawaii and go through a strict quarantine procedure before being shipped to their main land based retail outlets or private customers. Each shipment is kept together in it's own tank. And each shipment is blood tested for KHV. This strict procedure is how they were able to catch the infected batch and deal with it so quickly. And using separate tanks is how they prevent other tanks from getting infected.

Thank you Steve.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I do not see how this ties into my posting you attached. What part is exact? Are you saying the people fallowed KHVQT procedures and all was well?

If you all think KHV is an issue. So be it. A problem at a koi show one year and another a few years back and another several years back does not mean a problem with khv. Isolated cases. And god only knows how many koi shows.

There are thousands of koi ponds all over the USA. Most have never heard of KHV or KP. They enjoy there koi and life goes on. So they have one less worry.

Preaching on KP to fallow KHVQT protocol is ridiculous. How many KP people fallow KHVQT protocol religiously when you purchase koi from respected koi dealers on KP or other dealers?
      Just curious. And would imagine in the over all big picture of the hobby, less than 1%.

I never did when I had a pond. I guess I was playing russian roulette or maybe just a miracle I did not get it. lol

So I am done here. Just a reminder. Please, everyone drive safely and pay attention when driving. All that is required is to pay attention. You don't have to spend money or time to QT for KHV or build a QT system as people tell you to do for KHV. Just simply pay attention. So do you think there well be 0 deaths now with auto accidents or the usual tens of thousands with my posting.

Do you really think things well change addressing KHV by saying please QT for KHV?

Oh and don't forget to were gloves. You might get TB from your koi. LOL

According the " Centers of Disease Control" there are about 7 cases of bubonic reported each year. Please everyone wear your masks. You never know!
      i don't have $20,000 show koi or I would probably proceed more cautious. i don't see how anyone is preaching anything also. i feel information has been shared on how the best way to qt for it is. i hope nobody thinks every hobbyist should do a khvqt or there would be some broke hobbyists lol

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

An interesting thread from 9 years ago

I searched Koi Bito and found this one. It is easy to go into denial but testing is the best method

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...-ol-mango.html

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
      We know KHV is not active/deadly when the water is cool, but can KHV be spread in water that is cool? I would tend to think so, but I don't know.

In other words, if one acquired koi that potentially have KHV and did not adequately QT for KHV, and added koi to the established koi population when the water was cool, would separating the new koi from the established population while the water is still cool prevent the spread of KHV to the established population? Or would the KHV likely have spread to the others in the cool water?

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

How does a Japanese BREEDER suddenly end up with a KHV virus in his midst, ready for exporting on?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
      Why is there so much crime in the world?

Because knowing people will not rat on the culprits.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

JapaneseFamousKoi is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Will Kodama Koi Farm release the name of the breeder this batch came from?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      I searched Koi Bito and found this one. It is easy to go into denial but testing is the best method

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...-ol-mango.html
      Denial. Really!

Tens of thousands of koi are sold in America every year. KHV issues from dealers are almost not even negligible.

KP is a sight for all. And many do not have the resources or time to fallow KHVQT protocol.Posting that you should spend money on QT and fallow protocol for KHV or ELSE! The sky is falling is illogical based on the reported cases of KHV and fear mongering going on.

Stephen, Have you given your cats FIP vaccinations? lol

You better or else!

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Remember: More Koi die from hobbyist's inadequate quarantine tanks than from KHV.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast