• Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kodama has KHV

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Info from the last Seminar I went to.....
      KHV can remain latent without any visible signs of an outbreak.
      In its latent state , it can only be detected molecularly .
      It has been detected in a body of water at least 6 months after any host fish have been removed.
      It has been detected in soil, plants, insects, and other forms of aquatic life .
      It exists in the wild , as well as in Our ponds.
      Many stressors , in addition to temperature changes , can set it off.

This info is from a Seminar 2 years ago, conducted by Dr Aimee Reed , who was working on the AKCA sponsored Project KHV at Oregon State University.
      Dr Reed also stated that She had Koi within the study , that had remained in the latent stage for over 6 years without any visible outbreaks.
      Sorry , I don't have any current info or updates on the research , but I will get some soon and post it Here.
      Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
      Remember: More Koi die from hobbyist's inadequate quarantine tanks than from KHV.
      Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
      Oh, sh*t.............
      Taken from Pathogenesis of Acute Viral Disease Induced in
      Fish by Carp Interstitial Nephritis and Gill
      Necrosis Virus

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Necrosis_Virus
      "Localization of the virus within white blood cells raises the
      intriguing possibility that the virus is rapidly transferred to the
      viscera via infected white blood cells. The virus can then multiply
      in the kidney and infect the epithelial cells there. Another
      important question is whether the virus resides in the gills.
      Despite the technical difficulties mentioned above, the large
      amounts of virus in this organ suggest that the virus can multiply
      in the gills. It can then be released into the water either
      through shedding or together with the sloughed epithelial and
      inflammatory cells resulting from severe local inflammation.
      The ability to invade the fish through the gills, multiply there,
      and then be released through the water is favorable for the
      virus. This is analogous to respiratory viruses in mammals that
      infect the respiratory epithelium, replicate there, and are
      spread through air droplets and aerosol. This may turn out to
      be the most common means of spreading of aquatic viruses."

I'm not so sure exactly what you guys mean by quarantine. There is quarantining to separate a sick fish because it is currently shedding viruses or bacteria that you don't want to spread. Then there is quarantining a new fish where hopefully (?), you get to induce a disease (?). So if you put a fish in a "5 star hotel" you call adequate quarantine, how is this going to happen? Do you really want to heat your quarantine to induce "KHV"? And what is the sensitivity of this test? Does anyone really know? Hardly anyone has the means of testing for anything, never mind KHV.
      Certain viruses are unique to carp be it koi herpes virus, pox or whatever. It is safer to assume that these viruses are in all our koi be it latent or under control (suppressed by their immune system), and it is triggered by stressors and is bound to spread.
      So is quarantining really just a stress test?

I'd say be kind to all our animals. Assume all koi are in a disease state (as suppose to latent) when coming from a dealer or pet store triggered by the stress of overcrowding, being transported and what not. Quarantining is not a stress test but is a place to for koi to relax and recover (that is if you have an adequate quarantine you consider 5-star). If not you might as well let them recover in your main pond which should not be overcrowded and a have pretty robust bio-filtration that can control and even kill these virus. Then if you don't have the later, why even buy anymore fish?

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Construction and maintenance of a QT is at least as important as the construction and maintenance of a pond.
      For me, and I think this is where KDH is coming from, I just want one pond, not two.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 01-11-2018 at 01:08 AM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      In response to some that seem to be anti, I think it is not doing anyone any good to discourage either the QT or the dissemination of information pertaining to QT. I recognize that not everyone is going to go out and get a QT system, keep it active on a full time basis for any new fish coming in, but it is still a good idea to try to educate them about the values of doing so. I also know that the average ponder, not KP'r, is probably getting all of their fish at places like Petsmart, or the local garden shop at 3 for $29 and happy with them, and happily killing them without knowledge of why, and going to buy more. But as you move up, my first move up was to $125 fish and I killed about 10 or 12 of those before I joined a koi club and started learning of water quality, stocking density, etc. and continued the move up to fish that were well of 10X that and with 40 fish, I had more money swimming in my pond than I paid for my house, of course the house was bought a bunch of years ago, but still.. I could not have afforded to replace the fish that I had, so QT was a must, and was kept active with a couple of canaries year round.

I think education, whether accepted or not is invaluable and trying to shoot it down is not a good practice.
      I think we're talking about different levels of QT, Rich. There's the prudent QT that many ponders can afford and do use. A temp tank to bring in new fish and monitor them for up to 90 days before dumping them in the pond. I built one, used if for a batch of new fish, then disassembled it.

The other level of QT, the "KHV triple insurance policy" is not useful, nor necessary, nor affordable to the vast majority of koi ponders. A tank that can be heated and heat cycled and completely isolated from all other equipment etc. is just not necessary.

steve

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      I'm not so sure exactly what you guys mean by quarantine. There is quarantining to separate a sick fish because it is currently shedding viruses or bacteria that you don't want to spread. Then there is quarantining a new fish where hopefully (?), you get to induce a disease (?). So if you put a fish in a "5 star hotel" you call adequate quarantine, how is this going to happen? Do you really want to heat your quarantine to induce "KHV"? And what is the sensitivity of this test? Does anyone really know? Hardly anyone has the means of testing for anything, never mind KHV.
      Certain viruses are unique to carp be it koi herpes virus, pox or whatever. It is safer to assume that these viruses are in all our koi be it latent or under control (suppressed by their immune system), and it is triggered by stressors and is bound to spread.
      So is quarantining really just a stress test?
      For many hobbyist a quarantine is really a stress test.

What good is it to put a stressed (recently purchased) fish in an inadequate quarantine tank (I have seen 30 gallon totes with an air stone) and stressing the Koi till it breaks down and succumbs to disease?

My point is the same as audioenvy..."But in the spirit of being fully educated, it's important for people to know that bad QT is worse than no QT and they shouldn't blindly throw a new fish into a recycle bin filled with water in the name of safety."
      Last edited by ricshaw; 01-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

They got rid almost 3000 koi so far for preventive measure. What a huge sacrifice for them
      M.Nguyen

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I wonder what happened on the Japanese side of the problem?
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by BWG; 01-15-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      I wonder what happened on the Japanese side of the problem?
      But from what I have just read it could be just the situation on this particular tank that could have been what triggered the outbreak, am glad they have it contain.
      Last edited by Orlando; 01-14-2018 at 08:36 PM.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

13 ponds in a quarantine area - there probably is a Japanese side issue that brought this about.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by BWG; 01-15-2018 at 12:55 AM.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Updates?

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

They have been open for some time and having regular auctions. There was an update on their home page about the final outcome.

found this: https://www.kodamakoifarm.com/sanitizing-letters/

Hope all is well, my Izumiya yamabuki grow-out went from 6" to 18+" last year and I have two ginrin dainichi kohaku too.
      Last edited by KurtG; 04-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

They had some fish at the last koi show. They looked nice

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cindy,

I had purchased several koi from Kodama and had them shipped at the end of November, just prior to the statement to the December cut off date.

I had decided that I would not buy any more fish for at least a year and then in February Kodama had some longfin Hi Utsuri from Yamasan and a couple of longfin Showa from Suda. I had been collecting a few Hi Utsuri from Yamasan from Kodama last year and since I had planned to keep the fish I purchased in 2017 in quarantine for a year (or 2) , and I figured these koi were from the same batch my other Hi Utsuri came from. I took a chance and purchased the longfins. They assured me these koi were KHV free (I know there is never any guarantee the fish you purchase are KHV free).

They were shipped the first of March and I put them in quarantine with the koi I purchased last year. My QT tank is 4ft widex40 foot long, so large enough for them to live. So far they are quite healthy in spite of the fact they came from Hawaii in March and our temperatures were down into the upper 20's here at night.

I will keep you updated as our temperatures warm.
      Last edited by koi4u2c; 04-16-2018 at 04:10 PM.
      Nancy

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

THank you all! So happy they are recovering from the outbreak.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Its very refreshing to see a business handle this tough situation so well. It obviously took a great deal of thought and prevention protocol. They isolated their shipments, discovered the KHV, Stopped shipping everything in their facility as a precaution, and were able to bounce back well. Hats off to them.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I just read about this, how sad. I purchased my koi from Kodama when they first opened up their business. They were very pleasant to deal with a very concerned about their fish. I know it must have been hard for them to euthanize all of those beautiful fish. I'm glad they are now taking extra measures to avoid such a disaster in the future. Since news of KHV came out a few years ago, I myself, have vowed not to buy any more koi just to protect the ones I have. Glad. I've kept to that cos, although I wouldn't mind a nice show or kohaku.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      Cindy,

I had purchased several koi from Kodama and had them shipped at the end of November, just prior to the statement to the December cut off date.

I had decided that I would not buy any more fish for at least a year and then in February Kodama had some longfin Hi Utsuri from Yamasan and a couple of longfin Showa from Suda. I had been collecting a few Hi Utsuri from Yamasan from Kodama last year and since I had planned to keep the fish I purchased in 2017 in quarantine for a year (or 2) , and I figured these koi were from the same batch my other Hi Utsuri came from. I took a chance and purchased the longfins. They assured me these koi were KHV free (I know there is never any guarantee the fish you purchase are KHV free).

They were shipped the first of March and I put them in quarantine with the koi I purchased last year. My QT tank is 4ft widex40 foot long, so large enough for them to live. So far they are quite healthy in spite of the fact they came from Hawaii in March and our temperatures were down into the upper 20's here at night.

I will keep you updated as our temperatures warm.
      Updates please

claytonyu is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

That sucks, hope they dont lose so much

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The koi are all doing fine. Active and hungry.

I don't know if the water temperature has gotten to the 70's yet since our nights until the last couple were still pretty chilly.
      Nancy

is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by koi4u2c View Post
      The koi are all doing fine. Active and hungry.

I don't know if the water temperature has gotten to the 70's yet since our nights until the last couple were still pretty chilly.
      thrilled to hear it

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234