• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Just trying to prevent issues...

jstagner1989 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Just trying to prevent issues...

I already had a freshwater tank established and I've been taking water out of there to quickly cycle my koi rescue tank(I rescued two koi from Petco that were abandoned by owner). They are in a 75 gallon tank and have a 90gallon filter on it. I plan to get a big canister filter soon. Anyway, I just did a water test as the water had that ammonia spike smell. My pH is 8.2 which I know is a little high for them (7.5-8 I've seen recommended?), ammonia is approx 1ppm, nitrite is 0, and nitrates are 40ppm.

I thought I was going to loose my big guy as he was upside down in bucket when I got him home to put in aquarium(and he flopped out of my hands when I went to place him), but he's made a good recovery.

Advice at this point? I plan to get gravel today and I know that will be a good start. The plan is to get these guys outside this Spring!

Thanks,
      Joey

Name:  IMG_1583.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  123.5 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Keep binding the ammonia and keep salt ready for the nitrites as it cycle. ph is fine at 8.2

Skip the gravel.

MitchM is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Water from a cycled tank alone won't be sufficient to process the ammonia from the fish.
      Take out some filter media from your established tank and place it in the media chamber of the new tank.
      It would also help to transfer over any large items like rocks or decorations that have an established biofilm on them.
      Measure ammonia and nitrite daily.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I haven't just taken water out. I've gravel vacced and then ran this water through my new filter. I had just done a couple smaller water changes in my cycled tank. Wanted to make sure I didn't do too much to it to throw it off. I will definitely take some media out though when I can. Cindy, what does salt do? I was looking for info on salt the other night as my koi was stressed and I wasn't sure how to use it or even for sure what it's useful for.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Recommend you hold of on feeding the koi for a few days.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Binding the ammonia with Amquel, or the dry version, Safe, or Cloram-X and use of the Seachem Ammonia Alert Card to indicate the presence of toxic ammonia, instead of the bound ammonium, which are both measured by the ammonia test kits. As long as there is enough binder to keep the Ammonia Alert Card in the safe area, the ammonia will not be a problem, no matter how high the test kit reads. Salt is good for preventing the uptake of the nitrites through the gills, causing brown blood disease, where the red blood cells (hemoglobin) is converted to brown blood cells (methemoglobin) which do not carry oxygen, causing asphyxiation. The amount of salt needed is about 1 pound per 100 gallons. A little extra or a little less is not a problem, as long as the amount is in that general level. That gives a measured value of 0.12%, and anything over 0.1% is good. It is highly recommended to have a salt test pen, TDS meter, to assure yourself of the amount, as water changes will reduce the amount of salt and not knowing how much is needed is potentially dangerous. There is a calculator at the top of the page that will give better numbers for the amount of salt needed, knowing the volume of the water and the differential amount of salt needed to achieve a value of 0.1 or 0.12%.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      Binding the ammonia with Amquel, or the dry version, Safe, or Cloram-X and use of the Seachem Ammonia Alert Card to indicate the presence of toxic ammonia, instead of the bound ammonium, which are both measured by the ammonia test kits. As long as there is enough binder to keep the Ammonia Alert Card in the safe area, the ammonia will not be a problem, no matter how high the test kit reads. Salt is good for preventing the uptake of the nitrites through the gills, causing brown blood disease, where the red blood cells (hemoglobin) is converted to brown blood cells (methemoglobin) which do not carry oxygen, causing asphyxiation. The amount of salt needed is about 1 pound per 100 gallons. A little extra or a little less is not a problem, as long as the amount is in that general level. That gives a measured value of 0.12%, and anything over 0.1% is good. It is highly recommended to have a salt test pen, TDS meter, to assure yourself of the amount, as water changes will reduce the amount of salt and not knowing how much is needed is potentially dangerous. There is a calculator at the top of the page that will give better numbers for the amount of salt needed, knowing the volume of the water and the differential amount of salt needed to achieve a value of 0.1 or 0.12%.
      At which point would I add the salt? With any nitrite level? I have 0 ppm currently.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
      Water from a cycled tank alone won't be sufficient to process the ammonia from the fish.
      Take out some filter media from your established tank and place it in the media chamber of the new tank.
      It would also help to transfer over any large items like rocks or decorations that have an established biofilm on them.
      Measure ammonia and nitrite daily.
      Definitely have a couple rocks I can move over! Didn't think about that. Thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Recommend you hold of on feeding the koi for a few days.
      Will do thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007