• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: INC Sanke 4yo

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

INC Sanke 4yo

I'm going to try to make a point of posting progress photos of my fish as I slowly upgrade from pond-grade to higher quality fish. There's always a nicer fish out there but I'm hoping I can learn as I watch these fish grow.

This is a 4yo Sanke from INC. Measured 65cm in the fall. This fish is currently at INC and will stay in Japan another year.

Any thoughts welcome.

Name:  INC Sanke 4yo 65cm.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  43.0 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another super nice fish for your collection. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

like it. body is not to fat out back..again nice tail tube. beni is somewhat softer. sumi is strong as well and the shirogi is nice and white. nice sanke. at 4 years old though maybe the beni is starting to fade some

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What I don't have enough experience to know is if these transition areas (in yellow below) are areas of concern. Any input is welcome in the interpretation of the beni in these areas.

Name:  INC Sanke 4yo 65cm - Copy.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  46.7 KB

This video is another view of the fish. One of these two videos is right after it came of out the mud this past fall and the other is a bit later. I don't know which is which

I do really like the lacquer black look of the sumi especially on the shoulder and preceding the dorsal fin.

hp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice koi!

I have a question for the expert too. The beni on the head is much deeper than on the body. Will the beni on the body be the same as on the head when the koi mature? I have couple similar koi where the beni on the head is deeper.

hp.

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is this Duc's sanke he posted on FB? If it is, I think he is the most qualified and likely person to give you an honest evaluation.

I am no expert, but my understanding is that the beni should be an even tone and in the photos the second step looks uneven and the hi is darker on the head, that may indicate issues with the beni. However, the koi looks remarkably better in the video. I believe this koi is still better than most have in their ponds. It is definitely worth the trip with it. I think you will be pleased with it. It seems to have skin, body, pattern, only question seems to be how the beni develops.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by hp View Post
      Nice koi!

I have a question for the expert too. The beni on the head is much deeper than on the body. Will the beni on the body be the same as on the head when the koi mature? I have couple similar koi where the beni on the head is deeper.

hp.
      This is normal but, how well it transitions, depends on the quality of the Koi.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
      Is this Duc's sanke he posted on FB? If it is, I think he is the most qualified and likely person to give you an honest evaluation.

I am no expert, but my understanding is that the beni should be an even tone and in the photos the second step looks uneven and the hi is darker on the head, that may indicate issues with the beni. However, the koi looks remarkably better in the video. I believe this koi is still better than most have in their ponds. It is definitely worth the trip with it. I think you will be pleased with it. It seems to have skin, body, pattern, only question seems to be how the beni develops.
      I don't see this in the video so it may just be the picture. Hi is always darker on the head.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is a really nice fish. While the beni is not even close to the best beni that INC produces, its still good beni. The areas you have circled should not concern you much. The top circle is beni at the tail end of the beni plate/step known as Kiwa. The bottom circle is the beni at the beginning of the beni plate called Sashi. The kiwa could/should fade toward the head until you have a sharp boarder. The shashi is where you can see the underlying beni through the white scales that overlap the start of the beni plate. As the fish develops more white pigments and the scales thicken, this should become less noticeable. In fact, if those areas are to sharp on a young fish, it can often be a bad sign. As far as body goes, i like it but it is a bit thicker than your average young INC fish. It makes it look a little short, although im not sure that it is short. This is a body shape I would expect from different breeders. As for Sumi, shiroji, and skin, all boxes are checked. Congrats on this fish. I have a feeling youll be happy with the decision for years to come as INC fish are slower to develop and, in my experience, they generally continue to improve for a long time.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      I have a feeling youll be happy with the decision for years to come as INC fish are slower to develop and, in my experience, they generally continue to improve for a long time.
      Thanks, I sure hope so. To put this in perspective the hobbyist who sold me this fish has 5 other INC Sankes that he considers to be nicer than this one LOL. There's always a nicer fish out there!!!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
      Yes, the same. We've obviously discussed the fish at length.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by hp View Post
      Nice koi!

hp.
      I was told that is a good sign the koi is still develop and grow . If the beni in the head and whole body is the same tone then the koi might be at its “peak” condition
      M.Nguyen

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007