• Tired

Thread: How to add water.

archimedes is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How to add water.

I totally screwed up.

I was cleaning my s/g filter and left the drain open and almost completely drained my pond. duh!

I caught it just in time before the pond was drained dry. About 1/3 of the water is remaining.

How do I add back that much water without hurting the fish? I have a drip irrigation fitting that is always on adding new water all the time, but it's going to take days to refill at that rate.

My city water has chlorine (not chloramine). I'm not sure if it's safe to add de-chlorinator to the pond with the fish in it.

suggestions would be appreciated.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

add dechlorinator then add new water in. i would check your water temp coming out of the hose and also check the pond water temp. if they are close then go ahead and fill her up. if they are not then add the new water in more slowly.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've got to add back 1500 gallons. That's going to be a very slow process 5 gallons at a time.

Are there any filters that would reliably remove the chlorine to a safe enough level for the fish?

VinceRH is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

On Pond Prime label, it says to add enough solution for the pond volume and add water. I also use those mini firehose like nozzle and spray water in to pond instead of putting the hose in. It takes almost an hour to replace about 200 gallons of water.

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I use Prime powder or pondcare stress coat
      But if you need something to make tap safe into pond water then you will have to visit your local pond supplier for urgency
      I have added over 90% or 1500gallons in couple hours with no problem as long you add enough prime or stress coat
      Just make sure the water temperature is not way off like no more than 5 degree otherwise they may get confused

I also mixed hot water to get the water temperature match to the pond’s
      Last edited by OCkoiFan; 01-01-2018 at 05:15 PM.
      M.Nguyen

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've always treated the water before the fish were in the pond. Is it ok to add this chemical while the fish are in the pond?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
      I've always treated the water before the fish were in the pond. Is it ok to add this chemical while the fish are in the pond?
      yes it is fine

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I use this little filter on the end of my hose just for extra safety. it does not remove chloramine so i still add the prime powder also.

small amounts of chlorine at a time will be removed also by the pond filters like through a constant drip. in also use a hose timer since i left my water on all night and wiped out my best koi
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kevin32; 01-01-2018 at 05:33 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. I looked online at the Lowes website but their filter says "removes chlorine taste". I don't know it that is good enough chlorine reduction.

Does your filter remove the chlorine? I don't have chloramines in my water

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. I looked online at the Lowes website but their filter says "removes chlorine taste". I don't know it that is good enough chlorine reduction.

Does your filter remove the chlorine? I don't have chloramines in my water
      i would think at very slow flow it may. i had this little filter on my pond and left the hose on all night and lost 0 koi though. was jist going to do quick tipoff without it on and lost about 8 koi.

if you do use this filter perhaps you could half dose the dechlorinator. but really overdosing some is fine and will be removed in about 48 hours

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Those hose end filters are excellent for removal of chlorine in small circuits like refrigerator door water supply, RV sink supply, or for drip irrigation lines, but not full hose flow. Use the chemical dechlorinator, and refill as fast as possible, minding temperature. Set an alarm to verify that the hose has not overflowed the pond, and make sure it is off before going to bed.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How concerned about temps should I be. We're having an unusual cold snap here in FL. My water temps have dropped into the 50's. But my water comes out of the tap at about 72 degrees. If I put the proper amount of chemical in my pond (based on the total water capacity of the pond) and slowly trickle fill with the hose - would that be ok?

thanks.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

How concerned about temps should I be. We're having an unusual cold snap here in FL. My water temps have dropped into the 50's. But my water comes out of the tap at about 72 degrees. If I put the proper amount of chemical in my pond (based on the total water capacity of the pond) and slowly trickle fill with the hose - would that be ok?

thanks.
      yeah. better to be warmer water coming in then colder. but I would add it more slowly for less stress on the koi

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

I've got to add back 1500 gallons. That's going to be a very slow process 5 gallons at a time.

Are there any filters that would reliably remove the chlorine to a safe enough level for the fish?

Hi If you look at the advertising at the top of the page about a third of the way from the left side you will see KOI CALCULATORS. Sodium thiosulphate is the preferred

chemical to neutralize your municipal tap water with chlorine on the chart.

Go to the sodium thiosulphate recommendations section and type in your guesstimate of water to top up the pond. Weigh out the suggested amount of ST crystals for the

volume of water to be added and cast the crystals on the water surface, they will immediately dissolve.

Set up the hose and gently add the water to the pond.

You could adjust the hose nozzle to fo form a spray of droplets above the water surface, which will even the added water temperature out.

Keep a stock of sodium thiosulphate in stock for the next water change.

Cheers,

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007