• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID and help please

Ubiquitous is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you! So - I need to wait for the oil to arrive before I sedate, but I was able to bowl the fish this morning and I can confirm that it does scrape off. It appears to leave a bit of a mark and there was a tiny amount of blood under the small area I scratched off. Treated with some salt as the fish held still and released back to the pond. I will work on all the spots when I am able to fully sedate the fish.

I was able to get a look at all the other fish in my pond, and it appears 2 (maybe 3) others have similar spots. Would it be recommended to salt my entire pond for a few weeks? I have never added salt before to my pond and everything I read on it seems mixed. Thoughts?

Edit - Would a salt dip to .6 for 10 min accomplish anything?

Thank you again.
      Last edited by Ubiquitous; 01-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
      Thank you! So - I need to wait for the oil to arrive before I sedate, but I was able to bowl the fish this morning and I can confirm that it does scrape off. It appears to leave a bit of a mark and there was a tiny amount of blood under the small area I scratched off. Treated with some salt as the fish held still and released back to the pond. I will work on all the spots when I am able to fully sedate the fish.

I was able to get a look at all the other fish in my pond, and it appears 2 (maybe 3) others have similar spots. Would it be recommended to salt my entire pond for a few weeks? I have never added salt before to my pond and everything I read on it seems mixed. Thoughts?

Thank you again.
      I have never had salt, in the pond, work at any level that was safe for the Koi. Salt directly on it seems to do the best job as it is very strong. Everything you witnessed, while doing this, is what I am familiar with.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since the water temperature is above 50 degrees will a broad spectrum treatment (Proform C, Microbe-Lift BSDT, etc) work for this strain if ich?

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Since the water temperature is above 50 degrees will a broad spectrum treatment (Proform C, Microbe-Lift BSDT, etc) work for this strain if ich?
      I did not have succes even with a double dose of ProformC but got great results with salt directly on it.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I did not have succes even with a double dose of ProformC but got great results with salt directly on it.
      Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I ever see something like this on my fish.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thank you again.
      Great learning thread.
      Do you have any access to a microscope? Maybe someone nearby or a friend can lend you or help you with a scrape and scope. Not that you are not getting great advice here already, but it would be a good learning experience. My apologies if you are already at this level. Note though that a negative scope wouldn't mean anything (aka, probabilities are high for false negatives), but it would be great to see a positive identification. Also there has been references of people that use clove oil did not see anything on the scope when they were sure of parasite infection.

Some reference:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-please-share
      -Note post #2 by Cindy
      -post #9 is scrape of a dead koi with extensive congregates of whitish waxy spots on the body and fins (I'm thinking it's ich).

kdh sent me this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPVLd4w4xE
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Great learning thread.
      Do you have any access to a microscope? Maybe someone nearby or a friend can lend you or help you with a scrape and scope. Not that you are not getting great advice here already, but it would be a good learning experience. My apologies if you are already at this level. Note though that a negative scope wouldn't mean anything (aka, probabilities are high for false negatives), but it would be great to see a positive identification. Also there has been references of people that use clove oil did not see anything on the scope when they were sure of parasite infection.

Some reference:
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-please-share
      -Note post #2 by Cindy
      -post #9 is scrape of a dead koi with extensive congregates of whitish waxy spots on the body and fins (I'm thinking it's ich).

kdh sent me this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPVLd4w4xE
      So funny you should ask. As it turns out my Christmas gift this year was a nice USB microscope with an attached 3MP camera. It arrives tomorrow! Im looking forward to putting it to work right away, just need to get a labcoat from Amazon first .

I will admit, I am nervous sedating my fish. Its a larger Koi (about 22") and I feel I need more information on how much clove oil, how long I can keep it out of the water while I scrape its sores and treat, and how to allow it proper time and space for recovery. Lots of reading tonight I guess.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

So funny you should ask. As it turns out my Christmas gift this year was a nice USB microscope with an attached 3MP camera. It arrives tomorrow! Im looking forward to putting it to work right away, just need to get a labcoat from Amazon first .

I will admit, I am nervous sedating my fish. Its a larger Koi (about 22") and I feel I need more information on how much clove oil, how long I can keep it out of the water while I scrape its sores and treat, and how to allow it proper time and space for recovery. Lots of reading tonight I guess.
      Good luck, don't forget to take some deep breaths.
      Looking forward to some pics.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 01-01-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Karl's sticky on sedation aleady mentioned in previous post.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sedation is a very simple process you have been given instructions by Russ, follow them to the T and you shouldn't have any issues I myself use clove oil with his directions and was I nervous the first couple of times hell yes I was but just follow the instructions you have been given and you and your koi will be happy campers in the long run.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Sedation is a very simple process you have been given instructions by Russ, follow them to the T and you shouldn't have any issues I myself use clove oil with his directions and was I nervous the first couple of times hell yes I was but just follow the instructions you have been given and you and your koi will be happy campers in the long run.
      Thank you, I fully intend on it!

Ill post pics when I get the clove oil. Oil arrives Thursday, will post pictures Friday.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Update please. New pics?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Update please. New pics?
      I will take some pics tomorrow if I can. Everything healed PERFECTLY. You cant even see a scar or anything that would make you think I scraped him bloody and covered the area with salt. Fish stayed sedated through the procedure and the biggest learning experience for me was when I was running him under the waterfall to "revive" him, I should of had some gloves on because my hands just about froze off in the 50 degree water! There is still a very small spot on his tail that I thought was in too delicate of a place to scrape, so I have been watching it and it hast grown or spread. When I have the opportunity again, I might try to treat the rest of him.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Another EXCELLENT er thread, complete with some high def pictures and follow up. Thanks Ubi and Russ for sharing!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12