• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Ginger Harvest

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Ginger Harvest

It's a busy time of year for us......the ginger and turmeric harvest is still going strong and planting season is near, this year's root stock should arrive in the next week or so and I'll have to alternate between digging and planting. For the record, in the picture of turmeric, the four upper ones are culinary selections. The one on the ground cloth with the blue meat is a medicinal variety Curcuma caesia aka "Kali haldi"
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Wow, incredible job

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

you are turning into a farmer
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

WoW! That is a great harvest! I just started taking Turmeric Curcumin 500mg. with 50 mg. ginger powder once a day for inflammation. Not sure if that is what your medicinal variety Curcuma is used for.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

Feeling:
      Amused

All the curcuma are medicinal in the sense they contain the compound curcumin, but the amount of curcumins can vary quite a bit. The varieties I grow range from 5% to 15%. The 15 % is C. caesia , which is commonly called 'black turmeric' and not generally considered to be palatable to the extent that even in its native countries it isn't used in cooking. I have other curcuma in cultivation ....on from Indonesia is known as Temulawak ( aka Java Ginger )is used to make what is called a "wonder drink". I also have a red rhizome form of the edible ginger that originated in Myanmar. I have a bunch of others....growing them keeps me off the streets. < g >

I am working with my daughter the doctor on a turmeric salve for muscle/joint pain and with my brother on an edible turmeric treat for dogs.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Feeling:
      Amused

This is my first harvest on these two....which are both varieties of Z. officinale. The first is from Laos and named Lao Lemon Rainbow, this variety is very hot and has a citrusy aftertaste some say lemon, I get grapefruit. The second is from Myanmar ( Burma ) and is probably even hotter and has a strong ginger flavor. Lao Lemon has smaller, more compact hands than those traditional gingers.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Craig

Nguyen365 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow that's a lot. What will you do with all those? Do you know how to make ginger candy? Ir sugared ginger?

Feeling:
      Amused

I am a plant geek and love growing them. When I retired, I started growing gingers in our personal garden and when I saw that there were more varieties than I had ever seen in the produce section of my grocers....the hobby got out of control. < g > So to support the addiction, we are members at four farmer's markets and sell our produce there. I do make a dehydrated ginger that has a light sugar content that sells well, but it is nothing like the candied ginger. A favorite is our mixture of ginger and turmeric in honey with a few other ingredients....I'm also working up a recipe for turmeric dog treats for healthier dogs. < g >

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007