• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Planning a Pond Rebuild at Windsong Acres

CALHOUN is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not sure if this will help with some ideas? I was very limited on room and had to fit 2 bd and 2 skimmers lines all 4”. I had no choose but to mount one valve vertical, it’s a skimmer line. I also added clean out caps for all of them. So far so good. Looks like things are coming together real good, keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In my last pond my skimmers and bottom drains tied together.
      I use the skimmer as a clean out , I can run a brush into the drain or into my Cetus with the water flowing .

Name:  B60321E9-A498-4FC4-B070-074E065C5553.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  152.7 KB

Windsong Acres is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CALHOUN View Post
      Not sure if this will help with some ideas? I was very limited on room and had to fit 2 bd and 2 skimmers lines all 4”. I had no choose but to mount one valve vertical, it’s a skimmer line. I also added clean out caps for all of them. So far so good. Looks like things are coming together real good, keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thank you to you and Delbert for your ideas and photos. That is very helpful. I should get to work on the pond again tonight and tomorrow, and will keep everyone posted.
      My Current 13,000 gallon Pond Build: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ot-in-Illinois

More info about our renovated barns and ponds: www.WindsongAcres.org

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Walls are up! Eight blocks high dry stacked, with horizontal rebar in rows 2, 4, & 6. Vertical rebars every 3rd hole (2’) into the footing. Wall is 5’ 1” high, and will be poured with a pump truck tomorrow. Costs an extra 800-900, but having hand mixed, carried, and hand shoveled all those holes last time, often in precarious places, it is worth every penny!

Still have to finish off plumbing and test it, plus build the waterfall basin after backfilling. Then we can think about the liner...!
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      My Current 13,000 gallon Pond Build: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ot-in-Illinois

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

By the way, I will finish putting in the 3” return flange in the morning before the concrete pump truck arrives.

dragonfly1976 is offline Senior Member
      is 행복해Ꮫ
      6;

Feeling:
      ----

It looks awesome! That’s a lot of work to get this far. I hope this set up works out for you.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking good. Line pumps are the only way to go.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
      Looking good. Line pumps are the only way to go.
      Agreed! It went great, and it was done in about one hour of watching, instead of risking my life teetering around on top of loose 5’ stacks of concrete blocks with a heavy bucket in or hand and a shovel in the other hand!

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Nicely done!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looking good.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quick question… I discovered a 4 inch bottom drain line that has a very slow leak in it. I personally glued nearly all the joints myself, but in the heat of getting things done, I noticed one of the workers for the excavator put on this particular fitting, thinking he was helping me out. I noticed he did not use as much glue as I would, and of course that is the joint that now has a slow leak in it. It is in a tricky place to get to, although not impossible to replace the fitting if needed. It has about one drip of water coming out every one or two minutes. Will that seal itself off as debris leaks out, or should I redo the joint?

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

This is a pressure line isn't it since the mechanical filter is above the joint in the line? When you note the drip rate, how much pressure is on the fitting, was it greater than when the pond is full? More pressure, the leak could become much worse, with time the joint could separate... Backfilling the pipes will cause different stresses on the pipes, and the joint could separate... Settlement under the pond could cause tension of the pipe ... Can it be accessed and fixed just as easy after the pond is finished? If it comes loose will the pond drain? Wasn't the leak in the skimmer box absorbed in the ground and couldn't be noticed at the surface? Will you loose sleep thinking about this later and wish it was fixed?

Sorry.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
      This is a pressure line isn't it since the mechanical filter is above the joint in the line? When you note the drip rate, how much pressure is on the fitting, was it greater than when the pond is full? More pressure, the leak could become much worse, with time the joint could separate... Backfilling the pipes will cause different stresses on the pipes, and the joint could separate... Settlement under the pond could cause tension of the pipe ... Can it be accessed and fixed just as easy after the pond is finished? If it comes loose will the pond drain? Wasn't the leak in the skimmer box absorbed in the ground and couldn't be noticed at the surface? Will you loose sleep thinking about this later and wish it was fixed?

Sorry.
      All excellent points...you are right that I will probably lose sleep unless I just fix it now and be sure it is ok. So it is on my to do list! :-) Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Right now the bottom of the pond is a mixture of wet clay and small sized concrete rubble from the walls and then some rough edges of the footings themselves. Planning to raise the bottom just a bit to even all that out in preparation for the liner. Would sand be a good choice? I did buy a liner backer with the liner to go down first.

So...an inch or two of sand to make a good surface?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would just fix it and then you don't have to worry.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Windsong Acres View Post
      Quick question… I discovered a 4 inch bottom drain line that has a very slow leak in it. I personally glued nearly all the joints myself, but in the heat of getting things done, I noticed one of the workers for the excavator put on this particular fitting, thinking he was helping me out. I noticed he did not use as much glue as I would, and of course that is the joint that now has a slow leak in it. It is in a tricky place to get to, although not impossible to replace the fitting if needed. It has about one drip of water coming out every one or two minutes. Will that seal itself off as debris leaks out, or should I redo the joint?
      Sand with course sandpaper, clean with PVC cleaner or primer on a rag and use this product all the way around the joint.
      Last edited by BWG; 03-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Grumpy is online now Senior Member
      is Retired with SO much yet to
      learn

Feeling:
      Awesome

Just a suggestion, your piping will be very close to the liner and the subsequent water weight. Providing complete support of those pipes will prevent future problems too. If you had doubts of good compaction under each pipe, it might be a good idea to place a very lean vibrated concrete mix under and around the full length of the pipes. Name:  backfill under the pipes.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  91.2 KB The theory is to distribute the load evenly into the clay and the pipes and settlement will be minimal. If the backfill under the pipes are compressible the pipes under the pond will be pushed down from the water weight. Any pipe joints near the pond walls will be highly stressed since the pipes outside the pond will resist movement.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

We have several rental properties and sometimes emergency repairs need to happen. I have also used this product on PVC drain pipes. Worked so well on small fixes it was left to be permanent.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Windsong Acres View Post
      Right now the bottom of the pond is a mixture of wet clay and small sized concrete rubble from the walls and then some rough edges of the footings themselves. Planning to raise the bottom just a bit to even all that out in preparation for the liner. Would sand be a good choice? I did buy a liner backer with the liner to go down first.

So...an inch or two of sand to make a good surface?
      I can't say what would be best but I can say I wouldn't recommend sand. Same situation during my build and I used sand level and cover over the wet clay but the clay would still move under the sand so anytime I stepped it would leave a deep footprint in the sand.

I believe I have seen some builders spread concrete dust over the clay to absorb the water and help solidify the ground but I haven't tried that.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Sand with course sandpaper, clean with PVC cleaner or primer on a rag and use this product all the way around the joint.
      Thank you… I was thinking there was a product like this out there. Since this particular joint is one that I CAN get to, although it may require a repair coupling, I may just go ahead and put in a new fitting. But I am grateful to learn the name of this particular product and I am sure I will have other times to use it!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast