• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ive lost 15 koi 4 hours ago -The oil or fuel from the chain saw got into the pond

Mishka is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ive lost 15 koi 4 hours ago -The oil or fuel from the chain saw got into the pond

hi.

Hoping you can help. i am truly heartbroken. i have lost 15 koi today. This is my first attempt at a koi pond. We've had a bout of fluke, Costia, Dropsy all in a space of a few months. i was advised that they would need a bit more sun. as the pond was under quite a bit of shade. we proceeded to cut down the tree next to the pond. when i looked again the pond was covered in shards and debris from the tree. i phoned my koi expert, and was advised to drain the pond, add conditioner. and hope for the best. i didn't know that the oil or fuel had also gotten into the pond. however i did mention that they were using a chainsaw in cutting the tree down. my fish then started to gasp for air. i was re filling, back washing, rinsing. scooping out the debris. and to no avail. when i phoned my koi expert back, they advised that i would need to take my fish out of the pond. when i initially phoned, they did not mention this. i have since taken all the koi out of the pond, and put them in quarantine. but they are struggling. i think the shock and oil was too much.

my question is: i have drained the pond. but what do i do about the oil. again i was advised to use pool acid to clean the surface of the pond to remove the oil. what will this do to the lining? is this recommended? also, i don't know what to do about the remaining koi. as they are really struggling, i am terrified at the prospect of losing more.

my eco system after much trial and error finally came right, i had so many blood worms and natural vegetation, my fish were really happy. i am devastated, i cannot do this to other koi.

please help.

thank you.

yorkie is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Geeky

can you overfill the pond so that the oil will flow out of the pond with the excess water as the oil floats. Are you pumping air into your quarantine system? I don't know of anything that will neutralize the oil.

Yorkie
      A true pondaholic!
      40,000 Gallons, 45 koi

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Im sorry for your loss. That's a very rough situation. If the pond is empty, with no fish, I would use dish-soap. Its the best thing I know of for oil. Dont get the antibiotic kind. You can run air to make it bubble and then rinse and dilute it until there isnt any left in the pond. Ive never had to do this so this is just a guess, but it is what I would do unless I was advised against it.

cindy is online now WWKC Vice President
      is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      I'd keep changing the water on wherever the koi are with a binder to try and flush their gills.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Fill a fish measuring container with chlorine neutralized water, add just enough to cover the gills.

Add a stiff mix of biodegradable WASH UP LIQUID green soap to the container.

Catch a fish and add to the container.

Chase it around in the tank to get the soap mix through its gills and break down the oil film on the surface of the gills.

Wash it in a second container of clean chlorine neutralized water and put it back in the qt pond if the water is acceptable.

See how it goes.

I don't think the soap will harm it.

Might get a runny gut.

Garfield.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

Pond,James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

potassium permanganate will consume the oil. Actually, burn it up. The pond could have been cleaned with the fish in it using PP.

steve

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

As mentioned Potassium Permanganate (PP) will consume organics, which is what the oil is, and can be used with the koi in the pond. I would use about 5 or 6 grams per 1000 gallons US and allow it to turn brown with no sign of the purple and redose. As was mentioned, oil floats, so overflowing the pond with the hose spraying the oil to the low spot will remove a majority of the oil.

I am not sure that I agree with your "expert" on any of the information provided. I would be very interested in knowing what the water parameters were. With all the water changes, you may not be able to replicate the results of before, but if you are not testing yet, then get the test kits to measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high range pH, KH, and be sure that they are the drop type tests or meters, not test strips. My initial feeling was that you had a pH crash, caused by a lack of KH, and that led your "expert" to surmise too little sun. A pH crash will kill the fish and the bio bacteria, and if that is what has happened, you will see ammonia and nitrite peaks while the filters recover.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

rcmike is online now Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

How big is the pond? Did the fish start dying before or after you drained and refilled it?

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Over the years I have heard of this happening multiple times. Typically the debris (wood chips) are skimmed off and the surface water with any oil sheen removed. Don't remember any fish ever being affected.

Typically chain saws use very little oil to lubricate the chain and the chips are usually distributed and not all in the water. Unless fuel was spilled in the pond there should be none in the pond. If there was a large amount of oil in the pond it was most likely spilled also.

Often the cure causes more problems than the perceived threat.

rcmike is online now Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      Often the cure causes more problems than the perceived threat.
      That's what I'm wondering. We're the problems caused by the massive water changes or the oil/gas?

cottagefog is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not sure if I read this incorrectly, but the koi started to gasp after a water change? Could there have been an snafu with chlorinating the new water?

You would have seen the oil on the surface of the pond. Wonder if you saw any oil?

Good luck.

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

the op hasn't came back and only 1 post. im hoping this isn't another hoax.

i think someone is toying around in the er section.
      Last edited by kevin32; 12-18-2017 at 11:19 PM.

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

I read the heading regarding oil and fuel.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

zek is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
      That's what I'm wondering. We're the problems caused by the massive water changes or the oil/gas?
      The minimal amount of bar oil that got into the pond would have been insufficient to have caused an immediate problem as it would have been floating on the surface and not in the water column. It doesn't take but a few drops of oil on water to make a slick that is much worse in appearance than impact.

cottagefog is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zek I agree on how a little oil can look worse than it really appears to be. Take a potato chip and drop it in the pond ( or in a bucket of water). Amazing the oil slick it creates.
      Last edited by cottagefog; 12-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Rob Forbis is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One of first ways that the size of atoms was gauged was with a single drop of fine oil dropped on the still surface of a pond. The tiny volume of the drop is then set against the huge size of the unbroken oil slick.

GoldieGirl is offline Senior Member
      is a new CKK

Feeling:
      Friendly

Perhaps the tree was a poisonous variety?

Cheers,
      Ci

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

That's a good point. The koi were probably working on the wood chips, thinking they are food, as soon as they hit the water.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If a tree falls in the forest and the OP never returns, did it make a sound?

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

oil won't kill fish that fast but chlorine will. this thread was not a real problem but everyone had great answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast