• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build me a Sieve filter...... She said

BroHay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another good thing is my waste outlet is just screwed pvc with stainless for support and readily adjustable, just not the ease of access I had before I put the side on.....

Pump instead of gravity and do away with the sump?

Open to ideas/suggestions.

Adam

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All got to start somewhere and this is my first crack. Seeing the advantage now of the adjustable weir (as I get ready to remove ~3" for better flow and get a steeper angle on my sieve.

It will be gravity fed, with pump discharge and the even BETTER news is that the footprint of the IBC Sump is now available for other items related to growing food :tup:

When I make my cut to lower the weir, I am going to narrow the opening so the output is better concentrated in the middle and away from the sides.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-28-2017 at 06:39 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Since now running by pump, I'll build a collection box to catch solids b/c the solids discharge is now only 3" off the ground.

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, another day down the drain, my costs have not changed, but my time sure has gone out the window.

6" makes all the difference from slow flow to pouring over the weir.

I am just going to dig out and drop the sieve 6" or whatever the necessary amount is to get the water 2" from overflowing. Hopefully that will be the final push.....

Good evening to all.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-29-2017 at 08:07 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Over the hump, and I need a bigger pump.

Dropping the 6 inches made all the difference. I am flowing close to 1750GPH with barely a trickle from the surface skimmer.

I now am starting to see the merit of the adjustable weir, but once dialed in, I'll just add the water to the sieve to maintain proper operating height. I have about a 3. 5" buffer before the pump starts to suck some air.

Adam

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BroHay View Post
      Over the hump, and I need a bigger pump.

Dropping the 6 inches made all the difference. I am flowing close to 1750GPH with barely a trickle from the surface skimmer.

I now am starting to see the merit of the adjustable weir, but once dialed in, I'll just add the water to the sieve to maintain proper operating height. I have about a 3. 5" buffer before the pump starts to suck some air.

Adam
      1750 and barely a trickle doesn't make to me???

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

As I tried to stress before, it's an important part of the operation.
      I hope you'll be able to reach your goal!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      1750 and barely a trickle doesn't make to me???
      OK, my pump is a 10k l /hr (2641 GPH) and the loss to head height (approx 3 feet puts the estimate flow around 1800 GPH.

The reservoir before going over the weir is 13.75" x 8" x 24" (2,640 in^3) which gives me approx 1.53 ft^3 or 11.42 gallons. It took approx 23 seconds to fill this reservoir before going over the weir.

11.42/23 * 60 = 29.9 GPM * 60 = 1794 GPH

So, even with a 5% margin of error, still in the ballpark of 1750 GPH.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-30-2017 at 09:50 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      As I tried to stress before, it's an important part of the operation.
      I hope you'll be able to reach your goal!
      It has definitely been a learning curve and to be honest, yesterday I was about to throw in the towel and start looking @ the trader forum again.

I did not even know what a Sieve filter was until I joined the forum last month and started to see what is used by the members for their koi ponds.

So, the one thread with plans and some videos to put a general idea in place, I am happy with the first result.

Adam

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

It has definitely been a learning curve and to be honest, yesterday I was about to throw in the towel and start looking @ the trader forum again.

I did not even know what a Sieve filter was until I joined the forum last month and started to see what is used by the members for their koi ponds.

So, the one thread with plans and some videos to put a general idea in place, I am happy with the first result.

Adam
      funny I went to a koi show and saw a silly looking rdf filter 3 years ago. i had no idea what it did and why it was so expensive provided no biofiltration. def learn as you go bro!
      Last edited by kevin32; 12-30-2017 at 11:38 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The floating weir is the heart of the entire system I don't see how it could possibly work correctly without one. The weir is constantly adjusting the flow based on multiple variables that simply can't be replicated with valves, pump speed, or height adjustments. The only way I could see a sieve working without one would be if it were used in a pump fed gravity return setup.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      The floating weir is the heart of the entire system I don't see how it could possibly work correctly without one. The weir is constantly adjusting the flow based on multiple variables that simply can't be replicated with valves, pump speed, or height adjustments. The only way I could see a sieve working without one would be if it were used in a pump fed gravity return setup.
      Seen the video. One of the first ones watched to try and see in operation.

If I take an output from a tank and pass it over the sieve screen and send it off to additional mechanical/bio/DWC culture beds (in my application), maybe I am missing something?

I see the adjustable weir as an automatic means to regulate flow without having to physically be there to adjust with whatever conditions arise.

Of the two inputs, the bottom one is currently supplying most of the flow and I have not even begun to use the 2nd inlet (surface skimming. If I do, my sieve fills up to over half full because the pump does not have the flow capacity to keep up.

***approx measurements and will confirm in the am***

In the reservoir that the screened water is in, I currently have set an approximate depth of 6". In which the flow can go down to almost 2" before the pump starts to suck air. (I have a 90 elbow turned away from the waterfall on a 45 angle facing the solids discharge.

This is where I am factoring in a bit of cushion and taking into account what the adjustable weir does.

Can I go for an extended period of time without putting eyes on things, no. I'll be in there daily doing things with my garden to monitor and may even setup something for auto top off. So back to your original comment, "I don't see how it could possibly work correctly without one."

Am I still missing something since I have never see a retail unit in person?

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      funny I went to a koi show and saw a silly looking rdf filter 3 years ago. i had no idea what it did and why it was so expensive provided no biofiltration. def learn as you go bro!
      Looking at the "Beast 2.0" RDF build, I was in way over my head trying to comprehend what was being said and still trying to wrap head around things as I become more familiar.

To be fair, I know that my build is specific to my build and cannot simply be plugged in any system without some tinkering. I am going to get my chance to build Sieve 2.0 and will try to incorporate the adjustable weir aspect in it now that I have a template to build from.

Adam

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The weir is a floating wall that separates the 2 chambers of the sieve. Water comes into the first chamber and flows over the weir into the second chamber. The float is located in the second chamber so as it fills it raises the weir until it completely stops the flow of water into the second chamber. When you turn on the pump the water level in the second chamber begins to drop which in turn lowers the weir allowing water to flow into the second chamber.

If there is a change in flow on the inlet side the pump will lower the water which lowers the weir allowing more water into the second chamber. If there is a change in pump flow the weir will lower if the pump flows more and will raise if the pump flows less. If the pump stops the weir will raise to the top and flow will stop.

It is such a delicate balance since the water needs to fall thru the sieve screen so you don't want the sieve to be flooded and you don't want your pump to suck air.

The 2 main selling points of the sieve is to remove the waste from the water column and to simply the pond maintenance experience. If your constantly needing to check on it and adjust valves its just another headache IMO

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Appreciate the description.

But the only fiddling I have done is pull screen to clean.

Granted it is only 36 hours since out in place, but getting there.

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Slight correction to make and I don't know why I missed it.

I was looking at the wrong flow curve for my pump and reported incorrect data. The output of my current pump is 1380 GPH.

5gal/13 sec * 60 sec = ~23 GPM

The combined flow of my two inlets, was 1750 GPH (with full bottom and partial from the surface skimmer) .

Still need a bigger pump so I can pull more water from the surface skimmer and keep sieve from flooding

Going to contact the vendor Seaside Aquatics for possible pump, but any other recommendations for a 12-14k (l) inline pump with low wattage consumption? Can divert flow as needed if output capacity exceeds where I am trying to send....

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 01-01-2018 at 09:29 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, was gone for 4 days and the only tinkering that had to be done was add about 1/2 gallon per day to keep up with evaporation by my son.

Things are humming along, and it is now time to do away with the sump and start consolidating space to get ready to bring the DWCs online for phase 2.

Adam

nil13 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It sounds like without the floating weir it functions like a basic sump filter you might use for an aquarium. The way that scenario handles pumps sucking air due to water drop caused by evaporation is to put a float valve for make up water in the sump before the pump.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nil13 View Post
      It sounds like without the floating weir it functions like a basic sump filter you might use for an aquarium. The way that scenario handles pumps sucking air due to water drop caused by evaporation is to put a float valve for make up water in the sump before the pump.
      My plan is that except it will still require input from me for top off and not automatic.

The original sump I am moving to free up space will be the collection point at the end of the line as well as the FT return. That will serve as my top off water. It'll just make me having to manually add water less frequent.

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

So, it has been just over a month and things are humming along nicely. I truly do see the merit of the adjustable weir, and has been a matter of finding the 'sweet spot' to minimize input from me on a regular basis.

Revision 2 will have an adjustable weir, deeper sump, better collection/discharge outlet, and be about 4" taller to reduce fear of overflowing if power loss (right at 1/2" from top as current setup equalizers.

Filtration side -

Will be going to a series of Deep Water Culture beds (DWC - - 5 total) plus other growing apparatus (Dutch buckets and wicking beds)

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 02-17-2018 at 08:31 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast