• Tired

Thread: New Pond with High PH issues

hypersushi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question New Pond with High PH issues

Greetings,

My concrete pond (roughly 12ft x 10ft x 4ft excluding filter dimensions) was built, soaked for over 2 weeks, drained, then water jetted to remove loose sand and dirt, then refilled and has been running for over a week now (fishless). Here are my source water parameters: PH 7 and (rather high) Nitrates at 20ppm. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0ppm from the tap. Once it goes into the pond, PH goes up to 9+? (Max reading of tester is 9), ammonia and nitrite is 0ppm but I haven't got around to reading Nitrates. I am getting green water (I do not have UV).

So I have put some water lettuce and duck weed to hopefully soak up Phosphates and Nitrates. I also put in some mature bio media hopefully to seed the new biorings and japan mat. The green water does not bother me but the high PH does. I have yet to put my oyster shells in and am concerned as it might cause the PH to go even higher. Am I correct to assume the cement is still leaching alkalinity into the water and I just need to keep flushing the pond a few times and that should do the trick? What should I do? Put the oyster shells in to stabilise/ buffer the water at the expense of raising PH?

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

My block pond did the same. My source water pH is about 7.5 and after filling it shot up to over 9...
      but a couple of weeks of time (no water changes) and it was back to about 8 and has always remained
      there. I think a little time is all the concrete needs.

Left is after filling the pond, right is after 2 weeks:

Name:  pH lower pond.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  66.4 KB

--Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

When concrete hydration reaction occurs (supposedly forever, but diminishing rapidly) the products of the reaction are what is known as calcium silicate hydrate gel (the part that provides the strength), calcium hydroxide and heat. The calcium hydroxide has a pH of 14. If there is sufficient bicarbonate (HCO3), then the bicarbonate gives up a hydrogen to combine with the hydroxide and make water, leaving behind calcium and carbonate which combine to form calcium carbonate. The problem is that the calcium hydroxide has two hydroxide ions and the bicarbonate only has one hydrogen, so it takes two bicarbonate ions to neutralize the hydroxides in the calcium hydroxide, yet there is only one calcium ion left to react with two carbonate ions, but it will only react with one, so there is one carbonate left. The carbonate ion has a high pH also, but if it is bonded to calcium, it is no longer an ion that contributes to the pH. To consume these additional carbonates, additional calcium is needed in the water column. The way to get the calcium is to add calcium chloride (either pool or spa hardness increaser, or some of the ice melts are pure calcium chloride). Test the water for both GH and KH. The GH will let you know when the calcium is increasing, and becomes stable, and the KH is a measure of the bicarbonates and needs to be over 100, preferably during the cycle, over 200ppm, about 12 drops on the drop type test.

When you add the calcium chloride, you may see some cloudiness as the calcium reacts with the carbonates to make a fine powder form of limestone (calcium carbonate), but it will settle out and the water will clear again fairly quickly. Having adequate bicarb is needed for the establishment and survival of the bio bacteria and the maintenance of a constant pH.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow Rich,

Thanks for the very scientific explanation. Unfortunately, I am just dumb in that department on these matters. Can I use these items and dump them in the pond to get this calcium chloride or I need to buy this from a koi shop?

1. Oyster Shells
      2. 1 small can of expired Baking Soda
      3. Over 50 expired calcium tablets (for human consumption)

I think I should just put in the oyster shells? I was advised by one kichi to not put oyster shells first as it would shoot the PH up the roof...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The oyster shell will not dissolve at the high pH levels. The 50 expired calcium pills, if you look are probably calcium carbonate, which is where we want to end up, not where we want to start. For increasing the KH, baking soda is the way to go, but buy it in larger quantities. I had not looked at your location, so I doubt that you would have the deicer, but I would think that you would have swimming pools and possibly spas, and the stores that handle their chemicals would have the hardness increaser and the sodium bicarbonate. You can probably find baking soda in large containers at a restaurant supply. Usually here a 13 pound bag costs about the same as a 4 pound box, which is about twice the cost of the 1 pound box.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

In Malaysia, a common treatment for high pH in a new pond is to soak chopped up banana stems and pineapples in the water.

The acids produced as decomposition products help season the new concrete pond. I vaguely recall fellow koiphen member medicine2 who is also MY based did that for his pond.

I have seen Tesco sell baking soda in bulk bags also, so it might be worthwhile visiting your nearest outlet. I actually bought some like that in JB a while back. Luckily customs didn't disturb me about the large bags of white powder when heading back into Singapore.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

DragonFireSG,

Thanks for the low-tech suggestion. Going to chop my banana tree(s) this evening and buy some pineapples at the grocer. I did soak with pineapple skin during the two week initial soaking but I guess it wasn't enough.

Jacques is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      When concrete hydration reaction occurs (supposedly forever, but diminishing rapidly) the products of the reaction are what is known as calcium silicate hydrate gel (the part that provides the strength), calcium hydroxide and heat. The calcium hydroxide has a pH of 14...
      Rich, what happens when pool acid (hydrochloric acid) is added?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The acid will consume the hydroxide ions, but any KH (bicarbonate) will have given up the hydrogen ion, leaving carbonate ions, and a lack of calcium ions means there are lots of carbonate ions floating around. The acid converts the carbonate back to bicarbonate, pushing the pH back to the 8.3 but if too much acid is added, or hot spots of acid act on the bicarbonate ions, they are converted to hydroxide ions and carbon dioxide which will be driven off by aeration. Adding the calcium chloride allows the calcium to combine with the carbonate ions and precipitate them out without converting any of the bicarb that has already been converted and the precipitate is non reactive at high pH, so just a solid. The pond is calcium starved, and the addition of the calcium chloride provides the necessary calcium without adding any acid or base. Because the reaction of the bicarb with the hydroxide, the KH does need to be measured, because the KH could be consumed completely and the pH will crash with the addition of even slightly more acid than needed. So be sure to measure the KH and be sure that there is plenty to maintain the pH regardless of the method.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

BroHay is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the explanation as well. Chemistry is now fun!

I fed my pond/tank cycling system ~1500 gal) approx 3oz of a PH reducer it had very little effect on the initial reading after say 5 hours.

Furthermore, my sources of water all had varying degrees of PH. I'll write down

I also had a 5 gallon jug for water change that the PH was 7.02 when filled, but over 8.09 when it sat for an approximate 24 hour period overnight.

It took me an entire bottle of liquid PH increaser to get my 60 gallon tank to rise up (opposite of OP query) from its 6.54

I am going to town today so I'll p/u some CaCl and see if that limits the rebound effect.

Is there a recommendation for dosage?

Adam