• Tired

Thread: WWKC/KOI CKK 2017-18 Scholarship Offer

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

WWKC/KOI CKK 2017-18 Scholarship Offer

Here is this years WWKC/KOI Certified Koi Keeper Scholarship Offer!

I know it's long but if you are going to pay your hard earned money upfront, please take
      the time to understand all that's involved. One important change from years past is that
      the time frame has been reduced to 6 months (6/30/18) to finish and qualify for reimbursement of
      your tuition. So take some time and be sure you understand it all and if you have any questions
      please feel free to ask here, private message me, or write via email at forum@koiphen.com.

Thanks!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Worldwide Koi Club and Koi Organisation International 2017-18 Scholarship Program

Signups

Signups begin December 1 and end December 31, 2017.

Students may begin working as soon as they purchase the CKK package for $100
      on the K.O.I. website AND return an acknowledgement that they have read and
      understand the cautionary notes below.

World Wide Koi Club (WWKC) is offering 10 scholarships; applicants must be current
      WWKC members.

Koi Organisation International (KOI) is offering 10 scholarships; anyone may apply.

Each student must have a sponsoring group. K.O.I. will track all students’ progress
      (Note: real names will be used to disclose and track the progress of scholarship recipients
      on the Koiphen and K.O.I. websites).

Scholarships cover course tuition (a $305 value). All other expenses are the student's responsibility (see details below).

Course Completion

All courses, including both parts of the Lab, must be completed by June 30, 2018
      in order to receive a refund of the $100 deposit. If students can't finish by June 30, they
      won't get their money back, but they may have until Nov 30th, 2018 to complete the CKK
      without having to pay a late fee for an extension. Total permissible time to complete the
      course is 2 years - Jan 1, 2020 – after that, student must start over from scratch.

Students MAY be able to participate in a hands-on wet lab at the Pacific Northwest Koi Clubs Association
      convention (June 1-3, 2018) to complete the final Lab course – check the K.O.I. website or check with the
      Student Coordinator. If students want to do the PNKCA wet lab, then they must have the other 8 courses
      completed well in advance of the PNKCA dates. The Lab may always be completed online.

We recommend that students take the nine courses in the order that works best for them - either easy to hard, or
      hard to easy. They are allowed to take courses in any order so long as Diagnosis and Treatment is 8th and the Lab is 9th.
      Coursework should be started no later than January 1, 2018

................Easy-to-hard order: Anatomy, Physiology, Biosecurity, Nutrition, Filtration,
      .................Construction, Water Quality, Diagnosis & Treatment, Lab

................Hard-to-easy order: WQ, Construction, Filtration, Nutrition, Biosecurity,
      .................Anatomy, Physiology, D&T, Lab

Timetable for finishing on time, assuming a January 1, 2018 start date:

Easy to hard sequence

Course Study Time Start By finish By Actual
      Anatomy - 1 wk 1/1/18 1/7/18 4-6 hours
      Physiology - 1 wk 1/7/18 1/14/18 4-6 hours
      Biosecurity - 1 wk 1/14/18 1/21/18 4-6 hours
      Nutrition - 2 wks 1/21/18 2/4/18 8-12 hours
      Filtration - 2 wks 2/4/18 2/18/18 8-12 hours
      Construction (3 exams)- 4 wks 2/18/18 3/18/18 16-24 hours
      Water Quality (big exam) - 4 wks 3/18/18 4/18/18 16-24 hours
      D & T (4 assignmts, 1 exam)-4 wks 4/18/18 5/18/18 16-24 hours
      Lab (2 parts) – 2 wks 5/18/18 6/1/18 8-12 hours
      Total: 21 weeks (5.1 months).............................................84-126 hours

Hard to easy sequence

Water Quality (4 wks) 1/1/18 1/31/18
      Construction (4 wks) 2/1/18 2/28/18
      Filtration (2 wks) 3/1/18 3/14/18
      Nutrition (2 wks) 3/15/18 3/29/18
      Biosecurity (1 wk) 3/30/18 4/6/18
      Anatomy (1 wk) 4/7/18 4/13/18
      Physiology (1 wk) 4/14/18 4/21/18
      D & T (4 wks) 4/21/18 5/18/18
      Lab (2 wks) 5/18/18 6/1/18

Additional Requirements - Monthly Report Required

Each student must communicate monthly by email with Mary Nielsen, the Student Coordinator,
      at this email address: hulali8@icloud.com This communication is due the first week of each month
      until a student has completed all nine courses, unless otherwise arranged between the student and
      the Coordinator. The communication will be a brief accounting for the last month and a plan for the
      upcoming month using the following example form. A blank form will be sent monthly to each scholarship student.

................--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      ................CKK Scholarship Monthly Reporting Form

................Name:
      ................Date:
      ................Last month’s goal(s):
      ................Results (goals complete? incomplete? Please elaborate):
      ................Corrective action required, if any:
      ................Goals for the upcoming month:
      ................Concerns/questions:
      ................--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Students set their own goals. These goals should have definitive, measurable end points and specific dates as in the example
      above, e.g., merely attempting to do something is not considered a valid goal. These monthly communications are required to
      continue in the program. Failure to submit these reports will trigger a reminder and, if missed for a second month, student will
      be dropped from the program.
      Exceptions for hardships will be considered and granted at the sole discretion of the scholarship
      grantors, i.e., WWKC and/or KOI. Questions and/or requests should be submitted to the Student Coordinator at hulali8@icloud.com.
      Payment reserves a scholarship!

Once having earned their certification, Certified Koi Keepers will receive:

• A Certified Koi Keeper pin sent by mail
      • A Certified Koi Keeper certificate sent by mail
      • A $30 credit toward the purchase of K.O.I. courses and/or ebooks
      • A template for printable Certified Koi Keeper business cards – sent by email
      • A 50% discount on K.O.I. ebooks
      • A 25% discount on most additional K.O.I. courses and groups of courses (Courses 313, 520 and 521 do not qualify for this discount)

To maintain their certification, Certified Koi Keepers must acquire 15 Continuing Education Units every 2 years.
      More information about Continuing Education can be found in the K.O.I. Continuing Education Policy.

The Fine Print

..................What to expect in order to become a CKK – a note from Spike Cover

We are pleased that you are considering applying to become a Certified Koi Keeper with K.O.I.
      Before you sign up, we would like to tell you a little about what you’ll need to do to be successful.

You will need to commit both time and money. We’ll explain each below.

First, you’ll need to put some earnest money up front. If you fulfill the requirements of the program,
      you’ll get that money back. You’ll also likely need to purchase some books and supplies. We’ll explain
      what’s needed below.

You’ll need to have the time, and you’ll need to commit enough time to read the material and take the tests.
      Some advanced hobbyists have tried to just take the tests without studying the material, and have struggled.
      It’s much better that you believe that you need to study to do well and that you be willing to commit the time
      to do that. It’s also a dumb move to study “to the test,” as you are only minimizing your own learning that way.

All this is not meant to scare you, just to warn you that good intentions alone won’t cut it in these classes. It will
      take commitment and effort. Historically, about half of the people who think they can and will make this commitment,
      don’t finish. This is not because the material was too difficult but rather because they either didn’t accurately assess
      the time required and then discovered they couldn’t commit that time, or they just weren’t willing to put out the
      required effort. Literally everyone who has committed the time has made it through.

Financial commitment estimates:

• $100 Deposit, refundable if program is completed by June 30
      • $85 Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis and Treatment by Duncan Griffiths
        (text for #207, available at K.O.I. website store)
      • $50 to $150 Microscope, slides, cover slips
      • $35 to $50 Digital gram scale, accurate to .01g
      • $25 to $35 API test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH
      • $50 to $100 Large koi net
      • $50 to $100 Koi sock net – optional but nice to have
      • $15 to $100 Tub(s) large enough to hold a koi for anesthesia (can be a blue koi tub, or a Rubbermaid tub –
        a second container for anesthesia recovery is optional but nice to have)

So that’s $410 to $720 assuming the person has none of the above. It could be as little as
      $100 (refundable) if the person already has all of the necessary equipment and supplies.

Computer requirements:

• Internet access
      • An email account
      • The ability to access and modify (edit) MS Word documents and attach them to emails
      • The ability to access and view PDF files
      • Some means of playing a DVD, either on computer or TV

Again, we want to emphasize that succeeding in the CKK program will require not only
      your good intentions, but your commitment and work.

If you’ve carefully considered the financial and time commitment required to complete all 9 courses and would like to apply, please fill out
      the application form below (your information will not be shared with anyone but Koi Organisation International for the purpose of the scholarship):

When you click "Submit Application", your form will be reviewed and I'll also send you a confirmation email
      so you know it's been received. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 48 hours, please contact me via
      private message or email at forum@koiphen.com.

In the email I'll also include a link to the KOI website where you can create a username and password (if you don't already have one)
      and checkout link to pay the conditionally refundable tuition. Reminder: Payment reserves a scholarship! First come, first served!

Thank you and if you have questions or would like more information, feel free to contact me via PM or email.
      --Steve

cindy is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Looking forward to a new group and you do have help available. It is a commitment but you can do it.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Instructors are there to help if you need it and there's also a section here on KP to discuss things with others.

It's not a hard course if you read the material and you'll gain so much knowledge. You won't regret it!
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Koi show and koi scholarships, it just doesn't get any better!
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

bump

K.O.I.

graybird is offline Senior Member ~ WWKC BOD
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

6 scholarships are already gone! Step on up and sign up, folks! This is the quickest way to educate yourself so that you are doing everything possible to keep healthy, beautiful Koi, and -- more importantly -- to understand WHY you should do this and not that
      Mary

is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

I knew they'd go quick!

K.O.I.

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

--Steve

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Lots of WWKC scholarships still available for members!
      --Steve

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, I want to do this! Tell me what I need to do.

is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Go up to post #2 and there is an application to fill out

K.O.I.

audioenvy is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Go up to post #2 and there is an application to fill out
      Done!

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
      Done!
      Thanks Steve!
      I got your application and will be emailing you payment instructions shortly.
      Any questions don't hesitate to write and good luck on the adventure!
      --Steve

is Hopeful

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Thanks Steve!
      I got your application and will be emailing you payment instructions shortly.
      Any questions don't hesitate to write and good luck on the adventure!
      We are here to help and you will have a study are. You can do it!

K.O.I.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Woo hoo, 8 scholarships gone!
      There are still 5 K.O.I. and 7 WWKC scholarships available. Signups end at the end of December, so step right up!
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

10 SCHOLARSHIPS LEFT! They're going fast, folks, better pull the trigger before they're all gone!
      Mary