• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To glue or not to glue? (pond/tank construction)

BroHay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      So what "physics and have a real world application" are you trying to solve?
      At what point do I set my entry/exit from the ponding area to maintain a reasonable flow?

B/c such short distances between barrels, do I connect straight across or do I need to have a drop?

I'll get some math such as GPM with the current setup where it flows good and then record the height difference when it equalizes to establish min/max.

I learn by doing things (initially) and then have the A-ha moment to understand the math/theory to be able to do it all on paper and forgo this current process.

I try to do keyword searches (tapatalk) and nothing ever comes up and currently without a desktop/laptop to make the browser page manageable.

So only my phone at the moment :nerd:

Adam

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by BroHay View Post
      At what point do I set my entry/exit from the ponding area to maintain a reasonable flow?

B/c such short distances between barrels, do I connect straight across or do I need to have a drop?

I'll get some math such as GPM with the current setup where it flows good and then record the height difference when it equalizes to establish min/max.

I learn by doing things (initially) and then have the A-ha moment to understand the math/theory to be able to do it all on paper and forgo this current process.

I try to do keyword searches (tapatalk) and nothing ever comes up and currently without a desktop/laptop to make the browser page manageable.

So only my phone at the moment :nerd:

Adam
      The initial entry point between the pond and the filters depends on how the filters are designed.

The same applies to filters connected directly in series, but often times what happens
      between barrels is the input or exit is set too high and in a manner it can't be adjusted, so
      it makes them not work together. But like I said before, it'll help a lot if we can see how everything
      fits together.

I don't use Tapatalk a lot but see if this link helps with searches... it's a custom Google one that
      normally gives a pretty good list of relevant items:

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0070364...19978874%252Fc

It can also be found in the forum links under "Quick Links" and "Google Site Search"

--Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'll get plenty of pics today and posted.

As for searching, looking for the ability to search the forum from key words to generate posts that allows me to see how others have tackled similar problem. Plus, it gives me the added benefit of learning more about koi keeping and how I can incorporate into my GH design.

I am cutting my teeth on this design because it is prep work for the more formal pond that'll be coming in the not so distant future.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 11-29-2017 at 08:52 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

ALOT of head scratching but I finally gutted it up and started to figure some things out regarding gravity flow.

Have to wait until tomorrow for pictures, b/c for whatever reason, none are in focus (probably b/c I went without wearing my glasses all day today)

Anyway, I started by calculating the time it took to fill the primary barrel from my SLO: 1min 22 sec
      approximate volume of water: 25 gallons
      Gallons/Minute: 18.38 or 1,102 GPH

Surface skimmer: 1 min 21 sec
      approximate volume of water: 23.86
      Gallons/Minute: 17.67 or 1,060 GPH

Rough calculation of tank/pond:
      Avg depth: 50" or 4.16'
      Length: 91" or 7.58'
      width: 55" or 4.58'

Total volume of tank/pond: 1,081 Gallons

So even though it is not exact, both outputs from the SLO and Skimmer are close to the total volume of the pond/tank to allow for a turnover in about an hour. That does not even take into consideration the combined ouput and flo rates from each to keep debris from settling and reducing flow (approx 1.80ft/sec).

2.0ft/sec is ideal for limiting solids build up within piping on a gravity fed system for Aquaponics.

So where I was trying to put the output into 50 gallon poly barrels I was quickly limited once it got above the inlet and I was not even using half of the poly barrel'volume. After taking my measurements, I went over to the original expansion and when I shot grade with the laser and found that I had close to 3" of freeboard in the sump if the system were to lose power and things were to equalize (OH WAIT, I'm trying to achieve circulation without having a pump.....) Plus it'll now serve as another larger settling filter before I kick it off to the other filters in the system for further solids removal, mechanical filtration, and MBBR.

Still more number crunching to do, to make sure things flow right to my DWC beds (Deep Water Culture) but, there is LIGHT and skipped forward b/c I would have been replumbing everything back to this area anyways.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 11-30-2017 at 05:32 AM.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Nice work BroHay.

https://youtu.be/SIqGRMf3LYc

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

ALOT of head scratching but I finally gutted it up and started to figure some things out regarding gravity flow.

Have to wait until tomorrow for pictures, b/c for whatever reason, none are in focus (probably b/c I went without wearing my glasses all day today)

Anyway, I started by calculating the time it took to fill the primary barrel from my SLO: 1min 22 sec
      approximate volume of water: 25 gallons
      Gallons/Minute: 18.38 or 1,102 GPH

Surface skimmer: 1 min 21 sec
      approximate volume of water: 23.86
      Gallons/Minute: 17.67 or 1,060 GPH

Rough calculation of tank/pond:
      Avg depth: 50" or 4.16'
      Length: 91" or 7.58'
      width: 55" or 4.58'

Total volume of tank/pond: 1,081 Gallons

So even though it is not exact, both outputs from the SLO and Skimmer are close to the total volume of the pond/tank to allow for a turnover in about an hour. That does not even take into consideration the combined ouput and flo rates from each to keep debris from settling and reducing flow (approx 1.80ft/sec).

2.0ft/sec is ideal for limiting solids build up within piping on a gravity fed system for Aquaponics.

So where I was trying to put the output into 50 gallon poly barrels I was quickly limited once it got above the inlet and I was not even using half of the poly barrel'volume. After taking my measurements, I went over to the original expansion and when I shot grade with the laser and found that I had close to 3" of freeboard in the sump if the system were to lose power and things were to equalize (OH WAIT, I'm trying to achieve circulation without having a pump.....) Plus it'll now serve as another larger settling filter before I kick it off to the other filters in the system for further solids removal, mechanical filtration, and MBBR.

Still more number crunching to do, to make sure things flow right to my DWC beds (Deep Water Culture) but, there is LIGHT and skipped forward b/c I would have been replumbing everything back to this area anyways.

Adam
      Remember the rule:

--Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah, well the blurry pics of THAT particular setup have been deleted and further revisions have occurred. . Upon further head scratching, I am giving serious consideration to adding a sieve filter and eliminating my two Radial Flow 55 gallon barrels.

I haven't been in the GH the past two days and will not be today until later this afternoon for I have to run to the city for supplies/groceries.

I can still link images with phototbucket (free) but do not know for how much longer. Have not found a suitable replacement that works with my usual means of access (phone) that gives me confidence of always being available for viewing w/o breaking links. Using the forum to upload has the pop up screen very hard to see (again on phone) and just use to [img].... [/ img] tags.

If anyone has suggestions?

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Should just start this as my build thread

Anyway, in cruising around, I am starting to get a general idea of how things are done. I still don't have snow on the ground, so my days of shipping coffee and reading forums are not yet here.

I am looking @ incorporating a sieve e filter, but here is where I need some help.

What is the purpose of having the adjustable component I am seeing in some of the older DIY threads?

I was just thinking on setting my height to the level of the pond where the overflow would be to screen with a few inches higher. Two inlets from the pond feeding this and then the outlet would be into my current sump tank.

I'll get pictures up after church to aid things along and give a better idea of the mess I have going on

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-03-2017 at 10:35 AM.

~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Should just start this as my build thread

Anyway, in cruising around, I am starting to get a general idea of how things are done. I still don't have snow on the ground, so my days of shipping coffee and reading forums are not yet here.

I am looking @ incorporating a sieve e filter, but here is where I need some help.

What is the purpose of having the adjustable component I am seeing in some of the older DIY threads?

I was just thinking on setting my height to the level of the pond where the overflow would be to screen with a few inches higher. Two inlets from the pond feeding this and then the outlet would be into my current sump tank.

I'll get pictures up after church to aid things along and give a better idea of the mess I have going on

Adam
      In the most basic sense the adjustable weir on the sieve is to adjust for any variance in pond level or head
      in the circuit.
      Mine will move several inches depending on the build up in the pipes that feed the sieve, the build up in the
      priming pot, and the filter that is pump fed after the sieve. It's also handy when cleaning filters on
      different circuits that can cause changes in pond level.

--Steve

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is the connection of my retroBD (SLO).

Max Flo was 1,036 GPH to 930 gallons/hr from the pond height down about 4.5 inches.

I'll probably end up tying the overflow/skimmer in to the present connection and drop my SLO down lower to get better suction of debris off the bottom.

I'll probably drop a pump into this tank to feed the sieve and have it discharge into my poly barrels into my DWC beds.

Adam

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If I pump up from this sump tank to the sieve, do I still need to have the adjustable weir? It will be the start and highest point to have the water flow via gravity.

I'll have anothet sump at the end to collect the clean water and return back to the pond/tank. Thinking via airlift?

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Making progress to getting things ready for reconfiguring.

Going to my mud pond....

Taking these 10 that seeded the original expansion and merging them with the test system.

Water flowing from sump to start being filtered through the expansion system

2 pumps are in the sump tank. One completes the original expansion circuit and the new pond/tank feeds by gravity to mix in sump tank with return to the far end.

Left side expansion system (1"). Right side (2") pond/tank.

Simulating power outage to see where flows stop.

All Good!

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Moving forward....

Future place of sieve/mineralization tanks and will scoot the sump over closer and pit my other mechanical/bio.

There is light at the end for I'll pin liner and then wrap tank to not make it such of an eyesore. Then move onto tidying up the filtration

Tank has cycled and sure I add a bit everyday as I am kicking up dust, leveling things out, but my SLO is doing its job other than the mud that is seen. Might have ro wait until summer or heat added

Adam

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One step closer. I took some scrap from the local saw mill and going to clad the exterior. Cut the posts flush with top and pinned liner.

Going to set a water hydrant today and then rework sieve filter b/c wife. Just informed me that she has the last of the fish coming.

Adam
      Last edited by BroHay; 12-15-2017 at 04:32 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A big step up for me, but wife surprised me with some Koi for our anniversary.

These two are from Japan.

Then she got 8 more of a. Mixed grab bag from???

Adam

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

cute fish. Have fun!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12